Texas Governer : B12 expansion a non-starter without Houston | The Boneyard

Texas Governer : B12 expansion a non-starter without Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Texas governor says Big 12 expansion must include Houston

Oh great, here we go.Why did the B12 make this such a public expansion process? This is going to be an absolute circus now. This is just the first of many political posturing and this will likely get very ugly.

I like that UConn is handling everything through the appropriate back channels, and not g0ing the public posturing route. Will they resolve this expansion process on the Judge Judy show?!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Texas is such a pain in the ass. It's like the overbearing parent that's always telling coaches to give more playing time to their kid that sucks.

Reaction Score
Texas hasn't elected a decent statewide politician since the 1990 election but it's really not surprising because most Texans are idiots. I'm a proud, native Texan and even I hate other Texans. It seems like everywhere in the world I go, the biggest idiot in the room is always another Texan.

I could tell stories. Oh well. That's my cross to bear.

That said, THIS is why the Big 12 has to take four.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Connecticut Governor says ACC expansion a Non-starter without UCONN... Oh wait
Would you prefer if the junior Senator from CT put out a press release?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Texas hasn't elected a decent statewide politician since the 1990 election but it's really not surprising because most Texans are idiots. I'm a proud, native Texan and even I hate other Texans. It seems like everywhere in the world I go, the biggest idiot in the room is always another Texan.

I could tell stories. Oh well. That's my cross to bear.

That said, THIS is why the Big 12 has to take four.
One of my earlier memories of politics is the classic line "he was born with a silver foot in his mouth!"

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I was wondering when the Texas politicos would be heard from. This is why the B12 lost 4 programs and why Texas isn't going to the B1G.

Reaction Score
I was wondering when the Texas politicos would be heard from. This is why the B12 lost 4 programs and why Texas isn't going to the B1G.
Yep. The only landing place for Texas is the Pac12.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The Kansas governor says expansion is a no-go without Emporia State.

Reaction Score
Let's just hope we're Miami and not Syracuse. Because I don't think there will be another round of expansion to the Big 12 unless it is due to the departure of OU and/or UT.

Reaction Score
Uh Oh, that's one less seat at the table for us. Remember how it went down with Virginia Tech? The governor told the UVA President to vote No to expansion unless it included Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
This is my worst fear. We have no politicians with any juice in this area.

My only hope is that that big 12 decides they're not going to be strong armed by Tillman Fertita, cause make no mistake this is him cashing in his chips with the governor for his campaign contributions.

Reaction Score
This is my worst fear. We have no politicians with any juice in this area.

My only hope is that that big 12 decides they're not going to be strong armed by Tillman Fertita, cause make no mistake this is him cashing in his chips with the governor for his campaign contributions.

Texas and Texas Tech will be told to vote No to expansion. There will still be enough Yes votes (8) to expand, but has any conference done that when it hasn't been unanimous?

Reaction Score
Texas and Texas Tech will be told to vote No to expansion. There will still be enough Yes votes (8) to expand, but has any conference done that when it hasn't been unanimous?
I don't know. I know TCU and Baylor are private, and Texas swings a big enough dick that they may go against the governor, but in a nutshell you have the problem with adding another Texas school. The other schools in the conference would be yielding more influence in the future to state of Texas politicians if they invite Houston.

Reaction Score

Oh yes....they just vote pro forma after the real vote to show that they are unanimous. The ACC was not unanimous on taking FSU.

Duke and Maryland voted no expansion.

Reaction Score
UT Prez apparently just tweeted support for UH being considered as well. I think UConn, UC, and UH are all looking like strong favorites right now. I think UCF/USF/possibly Memphis are alternates if BYU can't make it work.

Reaction Score
UT Prez apparently just tweeted support for UH being considered as well. I think UConn, UC, and UH are all looking like strong favorites right now. I think UCF/USF/possibly Memphis are alternates if BYU can't make it work.

Greg Fenves‏@gregfenves
As we look at opportunities for Big 12 expansion, I support considering @UHouston for the conference. UH is a huge asset for Texas.

Reaction Score
This may hurt Houston as much as it helps them. If I'm one of the OK, KS, WV, IA schools, I'm tired of the league being Texas-centric. The idea that a governor even thinks he has that power over a multi-state league should be repugnant.

On the other hand, it may help UConn in three ways: (1) It virtually guarantees 4 new schools to dilute the Texas influence; (2) They may want a strong academic school to offset the new commuter school in the conference; and (3) It brings in the trendy football school (but one that hasn't been a hoop power for 30 years) so they might be more willing to take a school that is more of a football risk but a basketball sure thing.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 4h4 hours ago
Have to think Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick won't be far behind. Former sportscaster from Houston. And he holds a powerful position in Texas.

Reaction Score
This may hurt Houston as much as it helps them. If I'm one of the OK, KS, WV, IA schools, I'm tired of the league being Texas-centric. The idea that a governor even thinks he has that power over a multi-state league should be repugnant.

On the other hand, it may help UConn in three ways: (1) It virtually guarantees 4 new schools to dilute the Texas influence; (2) They may want a strong academic school to offset the new commuter school in the conference; and (3) It brings in the trendy football school (but one that hasn't been a hoop power for 30 years) so they might be more willing to take a school that is more of a football risk but a basketball sure thing.

I definitely agree. I think the non TX schools really won't want another TX school but if UT really wants UH, that will likely be overcome. UConn, UC, and Houston all have athletic programs that have had historical success and all have a high ceiling IMO. From a brand perspective, this is probably the best combination in addition to BYU, if that can be made to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom