Texas about to go 'Nuclear' in the college arms race? | The Boneyard

Texas about to go 'Nuclear' in the college arms race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Heard a rumor that Texas may be willing to go to an 8-digit yearly salary for the next coach to get the right guy. At what point does the NCAA just implode?

While we have all heard the Saban rumors, I have also heard that they may try to use the 'nuclear' option to steal Sumlin from A&M. Could you imagine? There may be a civil war in Texas!

Reaction Score
Heard a rumor that Texas may be willing to go to an 8-digit yearly salary for the next coach to get the right guy. At what point does the NCAA just implode?

While we have all heard the Saban rumors, I have also heard that they may try to use the 'nuclear' option to steal Sumlin from A&M. Could you imagine? There may be a civil war in Texas!

Going to be fun to watch. Just because you pay a guy a fortune doesn't mean you will get fortunate results.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Although, it does kind of make sense for them to give such a ridiculous salary at this point. Texas is at a cross-roads point right now and they have to get someone to turn the program around IMMEDIATELY.

This is the worst possible time for them to have a downturn in their program. Between Texas A&M and the SEC encroaching on their 'turf' and the infancy of the 'Longhorn Network', a $10MM/yr salary is a great business decision if it is the difference between a successful hire--they have that much at stake right now. If they don't turn this around quickly, the Longhorn Network will not be as big of swoon as it could have been and A&M/SEC will establish themselves as a real threat to the Texas Empire. If they cannot right this ship in the next few years, they will have to think twice about their long term plans and may not be able to succeed on the LHN and B12....they may have to break up the B12 and join the P12/B1G/SEC to save their program. That may be a slight exhaturation, but it may be the reality.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I definitely have a problem with an employee at a taxpayer subsidized university getting that kind of money, and I suspect that I won't be the only one. That is well beyond "not a dime back" and into "there isn't someone else that can do this for less?".

Reaction Score
If this fails, I can imagine this guy outside of Chicago whispering into Longhorn ears about this great academic conference with a strong football history with its own TV network that would welcome the opportunity to help out. Heck, Texas can even bring its frenemy from the other side of Red River.

Reaction Score
If this fails, I can imagine this guy outside of Chicago whispering into Longhorn ears about this great academic conference with a strong football history with its own TV network that would welcome the opportunity to help out. Heck, Texas can even bring its frenemy from the other side of Red River.

Saban took Tx job according to ESPN.

Reaction Score
My buddy in Austin says Saban will make "a LOT" more than $10M per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom