Texas @ #7 Baylor - 2/14/21 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Texas @ #7 Baylor - 2/14/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I've never seen a Vic Schaeffer team play so poorly!
Back in the day when Gary Blair was HC at SFASU and Vic Schaefer was HC at SHSU, every single game was like today’s game. Ugly games of attrition.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t be able to rely on 30 pts from Bueckers. Richards would clamp her down.
Bueckers would drop 45 on her in the first quarter. Richards would be leaving her lingerie on the deck all evening. There will be 7 fat years and 7 lean years. A stitch in time saves nine. My dad is stronger than your dad....

Pardon me, I just got got carried away with being back on the fifth grade playground.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Collier fouls out with a triple-single (2 points, 5 boards, 1 block).

giphy-downsized.gif

THIS!!!!

This exactly my point with Collier. I knew Collier would not have a good game. She doesn't when she has to play against other teams with bigger athletic post players. She only did well in the last game against Oklahoma State after Mack went out with foul trouble and then when she got injured With Mack in the game she only scored around 8 points. Yet we think she is ready to battle against Jonquel Jones, Candace Parker, EDD, LaToya Sanders, Breanna Stewart, Natasha Howard, Liz Cambage, Aja Wilson ( I will stop). She wont. She needs to stay with Vic another year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Back in the day when Gary Blair was HC at SFASU and Vic Schaefer was HC at SHSU, every single game was like today’s game. Ugly games of attrition.
Wait, did you watch those games?? I'd like to hear more :)

Reaction Score
THIS!!!!

This exactly my point with Collier. I knew Collier would not have a good game. She doesn't when she has to play against other teams with bigger athletic post players. She only did well in the last game against Oklahoma State after Mack went out with foul trouble and then when she got injured With Mack in the game she only scored around 8 points. Yet we think she is ready to battle against Jonquel Jones, Candace Parker, EDD, LaToya Sanders, Breanna Stewart, Natasha Howard, Liz Cambage, Aja Wilson ( I will stop). She wont. She needs to stay with Vic another year.
The 2021 draft class is thin. The 2022 class is pretty decent. I’m not sure another year with Schaefer would be all that beneficial. He might actually be holding her back and crushing her confidence. How does she only get 3 shots in this game? That’s ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Wait, did you watch those games?? I'd like to hear more :)
Saw a few. Here are the results: Vic’s Bearkats never won. 0-14.

Scoring output by his team:

67, 61, 60, 38, 41, 53, 63, 48, 60, 62, 68, 56, 58, 66

not as bad as today, but clearly not “lighting up the nets” by any standard.

Attachments

• 45E72C73-B1DD-4E67-BFAA-CDA753563400.jpeg
    45E72C73-B1DD-4E67-BFAA-CDA753563400.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 90
  • E63FDDD3-BBA8-4F8F-9D46-22D046BB4E64.jpeg
    E63FDDD3-BBA8-4F8F-9D46-22D046BB4E64.jpeg
    706.1 KB · Views: 106

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
THIS!!!!

I have noticed the same thing you have about Collier including the thing you said about Mack. As long as she was in the game Collier was almost neutralized. Collier gets talked about in glowing terms but she has the same problem against players her size as Ono does. She has a better offense than Ono but does not fare any better against players of similar height.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not to worry about Texas. Vic has a monster recruiting class coming in next year. He needs time to build his team.
"Monster recruiting class"? They are ranked 4th with #6/#10/#24 and an unranked player. Not exactly a monster class. A very good class perhaps but given all the woes Texas has on offense the still need more.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Wow, going way back there - good research. However, I doubt if the quality of players were anywhere near what was on display yesterday. It was just plain painful to watch his players struggle so.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to seeing how Aaliyah Moore develops at Texas. I lucked out and got to see her live in Washington DC a couple years ago during the AAU season. I really liked her game.
Moore is a good kid, plays hard, is athletic, & has skills. But she is the classic “tweener”.

Not really a post or perimeter player. Not really elite level quickness for the perimeter. Undersized for the post. Likely to put up great numbers against “not elite” teams but have issues against elite competition.

Reaction Score
Moore is a good kid, plays hard, is athletic, & has skills. But she is the classic “tweener”.

Not really a post or perimeter player. Not really elite level quickness for the perimeter. Undersized for the post. Likely to put up great numbers against “not elite” teams but have issues against elite competition.

Really? With the number of coaches out to watch her the game I saw, this assessment caught me by surprise. Undersized as a post I get. I think she can play the perimeter but I haven't seen that many games.

Reaction Score
Really? With the number of coaches out to watch her the game I saw, this assessment caught me by surprise. Undersized as a post I get. I think she can play the perimeter but I haven't seen that many games.

The best comparison [purely my opinion] is Nina Davis with a better jump shot.

She [Moore] has a good motor and will put up great numbers against TCU, ISU, KU, etc. but when she faces teams like South Carolina or Stanford which have 4s and 5s that are both athletic & 3-4 inches taller, she will disappear [same thing was true of Davis].

The “not on the perimeter” thought is based on her body type.....more “post-like” than “wing-like” and foot speed. Don’t see her keeping quick guards [assuming tons of small ball] in front of her.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
One last point I do want to make, Texas scores a measly 35 points in the whole game. This was not a program devoid of talent as Collier, Celeste Taylor, Audrey Warren we’re returning good to very good players and they did add 3 top 100 recruits in Chevalier, Gaston and Holle plus Kyra Lambert as a transfer. Vic should be doing a better job than he is currently exhibiting.

Reaction Score
Vic should be doing a better job than he is currently exhibiting.
Completely agree

I am interested if this ends up being another Gail Goestenkors situation. Coach comes in to Texas after doing tremendous things with their former program, only to struggle to build a winner at Texas.

Reaction Score
"Monster recruiting class"? They are ranked 4th with #6/#10/#24 and an unranked player. Not exactly a monster class. A very good class perhaps but given all the woes Texas has on offense the still need more.
I agree, If Moore can come in and play a role similar to Vivians or Jackson, sliding In between the 3 and 4 spot then he will have his type of player on his hands. But from what I’ve seen she doesn’t have the rang of Vivians or the quickness/ dribbling skills of Jackson. Vic is a good coach and Moore does have a good motor, and will go hard in the paint, so I’m sure he’ll put her in the best position to be successful. Not really sure how to project the little guards coming in, will they really be that much of an improvement over both the Taylor’s, Ortiz, Warren, or Chevalier? It’s to bad Kye picked Oregon, she’s a Vic type player for sure.

Reaction Score
I see Coach Schaefer facing two key hurdles: personnel and scheme.

At MSU he was able to play high pressure D with a massive rim protector which created a ton of turnovers/transition points without giving up tons of layups. He doesn’t have McGowan [or anything similar] and I can’t see that D style working efficiently without rim protection [they may get some turnovers/easy transition buckets, but how many layups will they give up to achieve that result?]. Will he adjust the scheme to fit the personnel or keep playing the scheme until he can recruit the players he needs?

On offense, he lacks personnel who can routinely beat defenders off the dribble. Harmon & Hunter will help but their size [and low release point on their shots] will allow defenders to play a full step off of them. Harmon is listed at 5’6 but a more accurate height would be 5’3 to 5’4. Hunter is listed at 5’8 but she is about 5’6. Both are chest shooters. Both are super quick but size matters. That issue ties in with the Scheme hurdle. I see Texas women facing what the Kentucky men are facing this year: the dribble drive offense relies on superior speed/athleticism and is no longer “new stuff”. Teams have learned how to best defend the DD offense and the talent differential that made it so effective [for Kentucky men and MSU women] is not as pronounced for UT women.

Reaction Score
I see Coach Schaefer facing two key hurdles: personnel and scheme.

At MSU he was able to play high pressure D with a massive rim protector which created a ton of turnovers/transition points without giving up tons of layups. He doesn’t have McGowan [or anything similar] and I can’t see that D style working efficiently without rim protection [they may get some turnovers/easy transition buckets, but how many layups will they give up to achieve that result?]. Will he adjust the scheme to fit the personnel or keep playing the scheme until he can recruit the players he needs?

On offense, he lacks personnel who can routinely beat defenders off the dribble. Harmon & Hunter will help but their size [and low release point on their shots] will allow defenders to play a full step off of them. Harmon is listed at 5’6 but a more accurate height would be 5’3 to 5’4. Hunter is listed at 5’8 but she is about 5’6. Both are chest shooters. Both are super quick but size matters. That issue ties in with the Scheme hurdle. I see Texas women facing what the Kentucky men are facing this year: the dribble drive offense relies on superior speed/athleticism and is no longer “new stuff”. Teams have learned how to best defend the DD offense and the talent differential that made it so effective [for Kentucky men and MSU women] is not as pronounced for UT women.
Vic was always very reticent to change up his signature defensive plan (full court man defense). He did show some willingness to change it up in his last two years at State and pulled out a matchup zone at times. In his last two years, he pulled his teams out of a full court press a handful of times (Georgia, South Carolina). He admitted it was sometimes an assistant coach who convinced him he needed to change defenses. He was almost certainly going to lose to Vanderbilt his last year at State, but one of his assistants convinced him to play zone in the 4th Q.

My feeling was that his identity as a coach was wrapped up in playing full court man coverage, so he felt very uncomfortable pulling his team out of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom