• Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Tampa, FL - 7:00 PM ET
TV: None

Video stream:
Women's Basketball vs. Texas (free)

Audio:

Live stats:

Ranked team going against UConn’s chief conference rival on free live video stream.

Reaction Score
USF also has MIss St, Baylor & N Dame on their schedule, along with their 2 games vs UConn.

It's too bad that the Fla P5 schools are more concerned with protecting their markets than in promoting in-state rivalries.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hope USF wins, but not sure they have enough firepower. Better coached, but maybe not the horses...

Reaction Score
Who will win? I wish I knew! I am anxiously waiting. I have little idea what to expect from South Florida.

Texas has some big talent and some big depth gaps. If everyone gets healthy, Texas will have able substitutes at positions 1-3, but will be undersized all year the second Collier or Holmes leaves the game. Audrey Warren, listed at 5-9, and Jada Underwood, listed at 6-0, will be the front court substitutions.

For this game, it is most likely that Texas will be missing Sug Sutton (stress fracture) and Audrey Warren (concussion protocol), but that Joyner Holmes will play. Likely starters: 6-5 Charlie Collier; 6-3 Joyner Holmes; 5-9 Lashann Higgs; and 5-8 Joanne Allen-Taylor (at point guard). The fifth starter will be either senior Jada Underwood or freshman Celeste Taylor. Both started in the exhibition. I would say Underwood has earned the start. Problem is, Jada is the best sub if either Holmes or Collier come out of the game for any reason. Then again, if Celeste Taylor starts, the team has only one viable guard substitute available in Issy Palmer. The remaining available players are sophomore guard/forward Shae Routt and walk-on graduate guard Sophie Taylor. Shae Routt is listed at 6-0, the same as Jada Underwood. To my eye Shae looks noticeably bigger and taller than Jada. My guess is that Jada's listed height is exaggerated. Unfortunately, Routt has yet to look like she can contribute meaningful game minutes. Because it makes me feel better, I am holding out hope that Shae is going to blossom any day.

Edit: O.k. I went ahead and voted for Texas but that's a homer vote. I still don't know.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We have season tickets to USF. As usual, Jose has a lot of European players on his roster. 10 out of 14 to be exact.

USF opened the season Tuesday with a 70 - 39 win over Jacksonville. Enna Pehadzic led all scorers with 20 points. The Bulls run a motion offense similar to UConn but on as efficient. A couple of the guards have a tendency to dribble too much. Team has enough height to rebound and bang the boards. For the most part, this is a good passing team that works for those easy buckets when someone breaks loose from their defender. If you let them, USF will run you off the court. They have very good team speed, including their bigs.

Players to watch:
Enna Pehadzic, junior guard from Denmark. She's the leader. Good 3 point shooter. Not afraid to drive the lane.

Maria Alvarez, freshman guard from Bal Harbour, Florida. Good shooter from 3. Handles the ball well and the offense runs smoothly when she's at the point. Her defense is a little above average. She will most likely come off the bench.

Bethy Mununga, junior forward JUCO transfer from Belgium. Strong power forward type who has a nice 12 foot jumper. Well above average vertical leap. Very good foot work around the rim. She has a good frame and has no problem banging the boards.

Shae Leverett, junior center from Georgia. At 6' 2" Shae is a very strong leaper and rebounder. Good strong body. Her 10' jumper can be effective.

Tamara Henshaw, senior, 6' 1" post from Palm Coast, Florida. Tamara does all the dirty work on the opponents post players. Strong body, doesn't foul much. Good defensive positioning. Don't go to sleep on her. She has a very effective 10' to 12' jumper.

Beatrice Jordeo, sophmore, 6' 3" post from Portugal. A starter last year until a leg injury ended her season. Excellent post moves down low. Works to get excellent position. She has a 4' fade away jumper that is almost impossible to defend. Good size body who will battle on the boards. Good passer.

Sydni Harvey, sophomore guard from Tennessee did not play Tuesday night. Could not get any information on her status. Sydni was the starting post guard last season and she is a very, very good one. She has the 3 point shot and can drive the lane at will. Very good defender. Don't know if she plays tomorrow night.

USF was national ranked last year until injuries took out their top three players (Laksa, Ferriera and Jordeo). Jose will go 10 deep. If Texas isn't ready to play, they will lose.

Reaction Score
There are a number of questions for Texas, but they are ready to play. Team cohesiveness is a plus for this year's team. The team motto is "All for Texas", and the players seem sincerely bought-in.

Reaction Score
6-5 USF midway through the first.
Looks like USF has at least one good freshman.

Reaction Score
13-7 USF end of first

USF doesn’t at all look intimidated by the #15 team in the nation.

Texas with turnover after turnover.

Reaction Score
24-19 USF at the half

I guess Texas has a bit of an excuse. Sounds like Texas team’s bus driver took them to the wrong arena, and by the time they figured it out, the team didn’t have much time to warm up. Will they be warmer in the second half?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
USF 42. Texas 38 at the end of the 3rd.

Poor shooting night for both teams.

Reaction Score
42-38 USF end of third.

USF maintained a 7 pt lead most of the quarter but got bothered by the press at the end of the quarter.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I will never understand this move that José just pulled, when a team scores a huge bucket and then the coach of *that team* calls timeout, killing any momentum they should've gotten from said bucket.

Reaction Score
USF up 2 with 3:49 left. Going down to the wire.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Holmes just went down with some kind of leg injury after missing a midrange jumper. Not really clear what happened.

Reaction Score
Holmes goes down in a heap with no contact with about 1:05 left. Doesn't look good. USF up by 2.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Pinzan hits 2 clutch free throws to put USF back up by 4 with 0:20 left to play.
Holmes preparing to re-enter the game.

Reaction Score
USF up by 4 with :22 left. Looks like they might actually pull this off!

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
South Florida could make the top 25 with that win. Good for us.....as we need some more Top 25 wins when we play them in Vegas. Bad for Baylor... because they're short of quality opponents on their schedule outside SC, UConn, South Florida, and possibly West Virginia.

Reaction Score
64-57 USF final

Both of Texas’s forwards had double doubles, but it wasn’t enough.

Reaction Score
What to do, what to do....ranking Texas will be hard this week. Great win for the South Florida Bulls.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I only caught the last 12 or so minutes of the game, but I was impressed with the play of Bethy Mununga, the JC transfer. She finished with 12 points on an efficient 6-8 shooting, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks. Two of those blocks were at critical moments down the stretch.

@triaddukefan will be thrilled to know that South Florida won't be denied its rightful place in the top 25.
:D

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Great win for the Bulls. Texas did not look good at all.

Texas definitely drops in the polls. Not sure USF cracks the Top 25 but they should get darn close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom