Tevin Mack receives release from Texas | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack receives release from Texas

Reaction Score
He's real talented, but if Smart is willing to give him the boot from that struggling program, it should make a lot of people weary.

Reaction Score
He's real talented, but if Smart is willing to give him the boot from that struggling program, it should make a lot of people weary.
That was my assumption too. I have no idea what he did, but if he's out at Texas it obviously wasn't insignificant.

Reaction Score
Hard pass for me. Was suspended for first game of season for violating team rules during offseason, played 15 games, then suspended for the next 13 games for violating team rules again during the season, then gets his release from the program. Seems like this guy isn't great for team chemistry.

Reaction Score
Posted this back on Feb. 5:

On January 12, Tevin Mack was suspended due to a violation of team rules. He hasn't played since and has missed the last 7 games (plus one more at the start of the season from suspension due to violation of team rules). Doesn't sound like he's coming back anytime soon, either. Dodged a bullet with this one?

Tevin Mack Not Returning to Texas Basketball Anytime Soon
Coach Smart was asked if the team is better off without Mack as they try to rebuild in a positive manner. Smart thought over the question, then chose his words carefully.

“It’s my job as the head coach to always do the right thing for our program and for the guys within our program. The guys that we have out there playing – that’s who we need to have in the game,” Smart said.

“Tevin is a very talented player. He’s got a lot going for him, but right now the guys that are wearing a Texas uniform are the guys that need to be wearing a Texas uniform.”

Halfway home: What's working, what's not as Texas men hit midpoint of Big 12 play | Hookem.com

WHAT’S NOT WORKING?

1. Locker room chemistry: Smart has never indicated why sophomore forward Tevin Mack was suspended indefinitely, only saying it was an undisclosed violation of team rules. Those inside the program say Mack has not been officially told he cannot come back, but at this point, it doesn’t appear he will.

Smart may have been sending a coded message when he said his job is to worry about “everyone in the locker room.” The vibe has been different, and UT’s play improved in the last six games, even though the team has gone 2-4.

This team is far too young and inexperienced to be dealing with locker room disruption.

Reaction Score
And some notes from Shaka's press conference today:

Smart says he has thought about if suspending Tevin Mack was the right thing, but he says "I really didn't have a choice." Said for where he wants to get the program in the future culture-wise, it was the right thing to do.

"It was difficult that it hadn't worked out the way with Tevin like we thought it would work out. Basketball wise he was making great progress."

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Depends on what he did, but I certainly hope we kick the tires.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
BTW would he be eligible next season? Or the year after?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The kid is talented, but the red flags have red flags here.

They didn't expel him and he doesn't appear to have broken any laws, so he's not Ghengis Khan, but still, this looks like a good one to pass on.

He's going to sit out a year and if he stays out of trouble, then he's going to try to get himself into the NBA in one season.

Not a great deal of upside for us.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
From /r/collegebasketball:

Rowr6ul.png

Reaction Score
Don't think this is at all like Curtis Kelly. CK was a VERY highly touted recruit who I think was a good kid but just didn't fit in to JC's system or style. He ended up having a nice finish to his career at K-State.

Reaction Score
Hard pass for me. Was suspended for first game of season for violating team rules during offseason, played 15 games, then suspended for the next 13 games for violating team rules again during the season, then gets his release from the program. Seems like this guy isn't great for team chemistry.
Yea, don't think we need another wing anyways especially if Larrier comes back healthy. We need post players badly.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Looks like Curtis Kelly situation all over again
I am NOT saying UConn should take a shot BUT CK had a really good few years at KState
I am in the group that says pass based on the history but maybe KO can work with the kid but is it worth it????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom