OT: Test #558B | The Boneyard

OT: Test #558B

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..The 2nd war vs. England is OKed by which Prez?

15..In 1948 which music company announces the 1st LP?

16..What's a diatom and where found?

17..The results of a U.N. Small Arms survey: The U. S, has 18, 23, 28, 34, 39, or 46%
of the world's guns in civilian hands?

18..Why is a clarinetist and his sneaky ex in the news?

19.."Tales from the Vienna Woods"--composer? type of music?

20..Which king instituted "Windsor" as the official royal name?

21..In 1952 the Green Berets began in what place?

22.."Ozark" with what theme is now streaming on Netflix?

23..Discuss Giant Hogweed.

24..From 1929 and oft recorded:
I'll never know what makes...?
I'll never know what makes..?
I only know there ain't no love at all..?

25..The unusual circumstances that led to Senegal's 2nd goal?

Now off I go to our community's mailboxes. I'm expecting the DVD "The Post".
Anybody know, if I'll enjoy it?

Reaction Score
14. James Madison

19. Johann Strauss Jr. - an operetta I think

20. George V

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
15..RCA?
17.. 46%
18..His ex girlfriend forged an email saying that he was rejected as a candidate to study on scholarship with a world-renowned instructor when he was in fact accepted. They student and instructor met later and instructor asked why the student was interested, since he had turned down the instructor before...long story short, the student figured it out, got email proof and sued and won almost $300,000 from the ex.
19..Classical by some classical composer
20..Which king instituted "Windsor" as the official royal name?
21..Paris Island

Reaction Score
14. James Madison
15. RCA
16. a two part atom found in heavy plutonium used to make atomic weapons(total WAG)
17. 39
18. A very gifted classical clarinetist in Utah(?)(maybe Canada)(maybe Michigan)(a cold northern location in any case) applied for a prestigious all expense paid grant/scholarship/conservancy to study with a world renowned clarinetist in California. after going through the necessary auditions, his application was accepted. However, the clarinetist's girlfriend, afraid of losing him, went through a lot of trouble to fake a rejection letter. Disheartened, the clarinetist continued his studies, then applied to the same master clarinetist a few years later as a grad student. The master remembered this young man and was dumbfounded as to why the original application was not accepted. Alarm bells went off, research was performed, a lawsuit ensued, and the falsely rejected clarinetist was awarded a nice six figure settlement(in the neighborhood of 360K).
21. Fort Bragg NC
21. Korea

How's this for a copout: Whether you enjoy The Post or not is a matter of personal movie taste. This is based on the fact that Caligula received very little if any critical acclaim, yet there are a number of acquaintances who have watched it multiple times. The Americans, a television series with vast critical acclaim, never generated big Nielsen numbers; Go figure.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'm expecting the DVD "The Post". Anybody know, if I'll enjoy it?[/QUOTE]

Only if you watch it from the far left side of your viewing room. :rolleyes::D Once you did advocated reading a Michael Moore book sooooooooooo ... ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
14..John Adams
18..His sneaky ex intercepted an acceptance letter and offer of full scholarship from a prestigious conservatory. The ex forged a rejection letter to the clarinetist, and a rejection of offer to the conservatory in the clarinetist's name.
20..George V

Reaction Score
16. Type of algae found in oceans
21. Korea
24. I'll never know what makes rain fall / I'll never know what makes the grass so tall / I only know there ain't no love at all without a song

Reaction Score
14. James Madison
20. George -- Elizabeth II's father
22. I haven't watched Ozark, but pretty sure its about a middle class guy who undertakes money laundering for organized crime of some kind. Jason Bateman in the lead. It's on the list to try some time as some say it is good.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
VAUC & SVC--just finished it; I give it lots of stars.

SVC, the Moore thing was a documentary.

About the Americans, I watched the pilot; then asked myself, "Who do I root for"? That was that.

Reaction Score
VAUC & SVC--just finished it; I give it lots of stars.

SVC, the Moore thing was a documentary.

About the Americans, I watched the pilot; then asked myself, "Who do I root for"? That was that.

Without giving anything away, you already know who won, who always wins. But some battles are lost along the way. As with any true champion, they must face a formidable adversary; An adversary with the power and cunning to prompt 24/7 vigilance and enormous appropriations. While I am glad you liked The Post, it was not possible for me to tell if you would like it. I can state, unequivocally however, that you would like The Americans. Since this is a fictional series, there is no shame in occasionally rooting for the other side, if for no other reason than to get 75 episodes of epic television.

BTW: I looked into #25 and am convinced that the goal was not only good, but is only controversial because of a very poor play by the Poles.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
16. One celled algae whose cell wall is made of silica. They are found in both fresh and salt water.

20. King George V

21. Fort Bragg, NC First field of action was Vietnam

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
25. Ok, I'll take this one. Senegal player was off the field for injury and was waved back on by CR. He came on at midfield (onside) just as the ball was played back by Poland. He beat the defense to the ball, rounded the keeper and scored. While all legal, CR probably should not have waved him back on at that time. And/or Poland should have been more aware.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how I missed this yesterday.

14..Madison?

15..Columbia

16..They were little shelled creatures. Fossils are found in rocks, the crushed shells are widely dispersed, whence you can buy diatomaceous earth as an organic flea killer (doesn't work in my experience)

19..It's a concert waltz by Johann Strauss Jr

23..Be warned, Chief, you did say "discuss." The giant hogweed is a nasty plant native to Russia. It has the nasty habit of secreting a chemical that's photo-activated. If you touch it, your skin will break out in lesions if the sun hits those areas. It was brought to the UK, IIRC by a Russian diplomat as a gift for the Queen and the Royal Gardens. It spread rapidly, largely on purpose, and by the end of the 19th century was perceived as almost a plague. Genssis did a song about the problems, with lines like "strike by night, they're defenseless, they all need the sun to photosynthesize their venom." It's been in the news recently because it's been discovered in the US.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..Yes, it was Dolly's hubby, in between dishes of ice cream.

15..Columbia...the same brand as my 1st bike, as you know.

16..Yup, microscopic water guys. Sometimes forensics can name a shoe's journey by which diatoms show up on the muddy soles.

17..Fair is our crack shot.

18..Cajun, Fair & VAUC crack this case wide open. Gee, one more poster named Benny Goodman and I could give credit to...Oh, never mind.

19..Have you ever seen Big do the box step, My God!

20..But George isn't admitting it; he takes the fifth. Lizzie's granddad.

21...I can see how this one gives rise to 2 possibilities. Fort Bragg and Korea are acceptable.

22..Game pleads hearsay, but nobody else contradicts him

23..Big is to be applauded; I love detail. I will note that the hogweed is more established here than he thinks.

24..K9 once told me that when this tune first came out, she'd listen to it under the covers, cause her parents told her
it was past her bedtime. Nobody here is as old as K9.

25..Meyers is helpful. I believe I heard an announcer say that it was customary for a released player to enter when the opponents had ball control. Did not seem to happen in this case.
Like almost any American golden ager, I did not grow up with soccer. But when you watch the game at the highest level, I must admit
It's simply a better game then anything indigenous to us.

You only missed #15 in this section.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
25..Meyers is helpful. I believe I heard an announcer say that it was customary for a released player to enter when the opponents had ball control. Did not seem to happen in this case.
Like almost any American golden ager, I did not grow up with soccer. But when you watch the game at the highest level, I must admit
It's simply a better game then anything indigenous to us.
Actually it did. The opponent just happen to play the ball back into his own half where the on coming player was able to beat the defender and GK to the ball. Wasn't necessarily wrong, just had a very bad outcome/look. Not really the ref or defenders fault, just weird circumstances played out.

Reaction Score
"24..K9 once told me that when this tune first came out, she'd listen to it under the covers, cause her parents told her
it was past her bedtime. Nobody here is as old as K9."

Whoa Nelly! I'm pretty sure that I'm one of the "youngsters" in this group ;)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
"24..K9 once told me that when this tune first came out, she'd listen to it under the covers, cause her parents told her
it was past her bedtime. Nobody here is as old as K9."

Whoa Nelly! I'm pretty sure that I'm one of the "youngsters" in this group ;)

But, but how did your knowledge of antiquated folderol permeate the inner sanctum of yourself?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom