Terry Larrier Planning 5 Officials | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier Planning 5 Officials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
would love to land this kid. looks super talented and athletic. athleticism goes a long way in basketball. blake griffin is a perfect example of that and Terry Larrier looks to have all around skills as well from the videos I have seen.

Reaction Score
I feel like we want a PG (Snider or McLaughlin ideally at this point), a big (most of our eggs in the Abu basket), and a hybrid 3/4 forward (Robinson or Larrier). Anyone see anything recently regarding visits for Robinson? I feel like it was about a month ago that we read that us and IU were his leaders, but haven't really heard much since then.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"I think he’s going to be a team-first kid that likes to win and enjoys that process. He’s going to be a guy that gets better every year in college, until hopefully he goes and plays at the next level"

Certainly can't argue with a quote like that about the kid.

Reaction Score
What would we do with both Abu and Larrier/Robinson?

Abu is a traditional power forward, and Larrier/Robinson are stretch 4's; they ostensibly play the same position. They wouldn't be on the court at the same time, unless you went really big, moved Larrier/Robinson to the 3, Hamilton to the 2. But then you're squeezing out OC, Purvis, or the stud point guard we're (God-willing) bringing in.

It would be a good problem to have if we can land two of those guys, but how do you see us using them?

Reaction Score
What would we do with both Abu and Larrier/Robinson?

Abu is a traditional power forward, and Larrier/Robinson are stretch 4's; they ostensibly play the same position. They wouldn't be on the court at the same time, unless you went really big, moved Larrier/Robinson to the 3, Hamilton to the 2. But then you're squeezing out OC, Purvis, or the stud point guard we're (God-willing) bringing in.

It would be a good problem to have if we can land two of those guys, but how do you see us using them?

So you think Robinson and Larrier are both backup plans for Abu? I don't see it that way...although I agree that Robinson and Larrier could both be stretch 4's. Larrier seeems to grow with every article we see on him.

I think Robinson or Larrier could both play the 3, and Abu could play a little 5 in a pinch. I agree that there would certainly be overlap, but these guys all don't need to play 30 minutes a game. DD was about the same level of recruit and got about 12 minutes a game as a freshman. Should be interesting to see how things play out.

Reaction Score
So you think Robinson and Larrier are both backup plans for Abu? I don't see it that way...although I agree that Robinson and Larrier could both be stretch 4's. Larrier seeems to grow with every article we see on him.

I think Robinson or Larrier could both play the 3, and Abu could play a little 5 in a pinch. I agree that there would certainly be overlap, but these guys all don't need to play 30 minutes a game. DD was about the same level of recruit and got about 12 minutes a game as a freshman. Should be interesting to see how things play out.

No, I don't think they're backup plans. I just wonder if they're compatible with each other, if we would really want to pick up both.

Maybe Abu would start and Robinson/Larrier would be a change-of-pace backup at the position for when we went more wing-oriented, I don't know.

How many of these recruits would expect to start from Day 1? Because if we're successful in reeling in several of these guys, we're going to have about 8 players expecting to start.

Reaction Score
In all the videos I have seen of him it apears Larrier is more of a 2 or a 3, and Robinson is more of a 3 or 4.

Reaction Score
In all the videos I have seen of him it apears Larrier is more of a 2 or a 3, and Robinson is more of a 3 or 4.

Not sure if Larrier could function at his best if there was just one other main ballhandler on the floor at PG, but yea Larrier is much better off the bounce and a better ballhandler than Robinson, I think he would be able to work as a 3 next to someone like Abu or Facey at the 4 better than Robinson could. Robinson's shooting ability would allow him to play the 3 but he looks really awkward off the dribble, he needs to work on his ballhandling.

Reaction Score
No, I don't think they're backup plans. I just wonder if they're compatible with each other, if we would really want to pick up both.

Maybe Abu would start and Robinson/Larrier would be a change-of-pace backup at the position for when we went more wing-oriented, I don't know.

How many of these recruits would expect to start from Day 1? Because if we're successful in reeling in several of these guys, we're going to have about 8 players expecting to start.
You do realize that other top programs recruit a bunch of studs right? I promise you the fans at Kentucky and UNC don't all worry about if there is enough playing time for all the top kids like some of the fans on this board do.

Reaction Score
You do realize that other top programs recruit a bunch of studs right? I promise you the fans at Kentucky and UNC don't all worry about if there is enough playing time for all the top kids like some of the fans on this board do.
Well said let coaching staff worry about who plays where. Hell lets see who commits before worrying about positions and carving out playing time

Reaction Score
I'm no genius nor have I watched these two as much as the staff, but Robinson seems to be a stretch 4 while Larrier is a 3.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not sure if Larrier could function at his best if there was just one other main ballhandler on the floor at PG, but yea Larrier is much better off the bounce and a better ballhandler than Robinson, I think he would be able to work as a 3 next to someone like Abu or Facey at the 4 better than Robinson could. Robinson's shooting ability would allow him to play the 3 but he looks really awkward off the dribble, he needs to work on his ballhandling.
Is there any way you see Abu playing the 5?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That's because they have had experience with an overabundance of talent at every position. UConn has not had nearly the same set of experiences. Which is why we all know that we had the superior coach.

Give us some opportunity to experience what Kentucky and UNC go through and we'll be alright.

Reaction Score
Is there any way you see Abu playing the 5?

Not full-time but yes if needed. His game/build/athletic profile is similar to Louisville's Montrezl Harrell @ the same stage and Harrell backed up at the 4/5 last year and is starting @ the 5 this year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Not full-time but yes if needed. His game/build/athletic profile is similar to Louisville's Montrezl Harrell @ the same stage and Harrell backed up at the 4/5 last year and is starting @ the 5 this year.
I guess based on other posts about the college game having changed so much that guys like DD can play the four effectively I had wondered why not have a line up of a DHam, Larrier/Robinson and Abu playing the 3, 4, 5 if KO was lucky to get Abu and one of the stretch 4's?

Reaction Score
That's because they have had experience with an overabundance of talent at every position. UConn has not had nearly the same set of experiences. Which is why we all know that we had the superior coach.

In college, recruiting is part of the job description of being a coach. It would be more accurate to say that JC was a superior motivator/developer of talent/in-game coach, but JC's having less success recruiting than some of his peers is not a credit to him.

I hope Ollie does turn out to be a better recruiter than JC, and his performance with this class will be a good bellwether. I would love to be the sort of program that gets 5-stars at multiple positions .

I suppose somebody's going to have to come off the bench no matter what, and it's be better to foster competition at the position between Hamilton and Robinson or Robinson and Abu or whoever.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
In college, recruiting is part of the job description of being a coach. It would be more accurate to say that JC was a superior motivator/developer of talent/in-game coach, but JC's having less success recruiting than some of his peers is not a credit to him.

I hope Ollie does turn out to be a better recruiter than JC, and his performance with this class will be a good bellwether. I would love to be the sort of program that gets 5-stars at multiple positions .

I suppose somebody's going to have to come off the bench no matter what, and it's be better to foster competition at the position between Hamilton and Robinson or Robinson and Abu or whoever.
I'd be very happy if KO could out recruit JC and people would have to anchor me if KO could out recruit JC and be as good a coach.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score

Also i think Abu has a little more hight and about the same weight as montrezl. Heck some say they can see facey at the 5 and he's 30 lbs lighter then Abu. I think he could hang in spurts when needed and in certain matchups permit it.

Reaction Score
Also i think Abu has a little more hight and about the same weight as montrezl. Heck some say they can see facey at the 5 and he's 30 lbs lighter then Abu. I think he could hang in spurts when needed and in certain matchups permit it.

In some video he looks pretty big and in others I would say he's pushing 6'7" best, but again good sized kid!! Harrell is pretty large though not sure Abu is quite that thick.......but certainly hope he lands in Storrs!

Reaction Score

Only reason I would say not full-time in regards to Abu is because with Nolan/Brimah/Facey he wouldn't need to be a 30+ min per game guy at the 5, b/w those four if we were to get Abu that would shape up to be a pretty good rotation at the 4/5 spots. With his size and length and with how hard he plays he shouldn't have any problems dealing with college 5s, they're not that bigger than him and he would run into guys the same size on some nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom