Terrence Samuel | The Boneyard

Terrence Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's Boat's team and there has been a lot of talk about the newbies Purvis and Hamilton but Samuel is someone I don't feel is mentioned enough and I'm very excited about him. The kid was money down the stretch last season, he provided tons of energy off the bench with his scoring, ballhandling and fearless play. It's not often that a freshman seizes the big stage like that, especially an unheralded one. By the end of the year he also became a knock down ft shooter and played pretty dynamite defense. I think he had a similar freshman Shabazz like effect on the team, you could see how much they rallied around him especially after the Iowa State game. Shabazz has even talked about how much Terrence reminds him of himself as a frosh with his non-stop talking and almost having too much energy. It's Boat's team but I also see Terrence being a leader in just his sophomore season, I know he will become a Husky fan favorite.

Reaction Score
Great post John, I agree 100%. I was at the South Florida game in St Pete. We were down 10 or so and in major jeopardy of losing that game and maybe a grip on the season when KO turned to Samuel.

I look at that game as a microcosm for the season, as his energy, defense and unexpected scoring ignited the turnaround in that game and the rest of the season. He was that missing X factor that fueled us towards our 4th championship and selling him short for this season would be a major oversight. I expect him to give us 20 high energy minutes a night and be a huge factor in our success.

Reaction Score
I still see him playing in crunch time but his minutes will be around the same bc we have so many good guards. Maybe Ollie plays a 3guard lineup more than normal. But I'm w you I'm a big Samuel fan, reminds me a lot of Taliek Brown.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's hardly mentioned at all except when we tack his name on to our list of quality guards. Will be interesting to see how he progresses this year.

Reaction Score
I think it is the newbies that are going to have to play really well to take minutes away from Tsam.
He may not start- but he will be the first non big off the bench. If RP or even DH is having an off game he will be our first option.
He plays strong D and seems to get to the rim at will at times- love his game.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Agreed with this 100%. We played better as a team when he came in the game in February and March.

I was fortunate enough to sit in on a practice in February, and Ollie was riding T-Sam like a dog the whole time. You usually see that from the ones the coach expects to be the leader down the road.

Reaction Score
I agree with everybody, TSam is someone I can't wait to see this coming season. I love his attitude he brings to the court, and also to the bench when he's not in. We need that strong brotherhood aspect, and you can tell he bought in to that very early on. Already has great chemistry with KO, so I look forward to seeing that friendship grow over the next 3 years

Reaction Score
I cannot agree more with the OP and other posters here.

I will let in on my own secret about what I think of him, just based on the limited amount of time he played in the NCAA tournament.

He reminds me of Kemba somehow, is it the smile? fearlessness? the toughness? or maybe simply because he is another kid from New York City.

He has heart and tools. Unfortunately we never know how legit he would have been even in his first year because he plays on a team with THE best PG and another minimally top 5 PG in the college basketball.

Reaction Score
He seems like a kid who can come in and play with high energy for short stretches and be effective, not sure if he can be a 30+ minute/night player yet. We'll have to see him this year for longer stretches, if Boat or Purvis get in early foul trouble or something.

It's Boat's team and there has been a lot of talk about the newbies Purvis and Hamilton but Samuel is someone I don't feel is mentioned enough and I'm very excited about him. The kid was money down the stretch last season, he provided tons of energy off the bench with his scoring, ballhandling and fearless play. It's not often that a freshman seizes the big stage like that, especially an unheralded one. By the end of the year he also became a knock down ft shooter and played pretty dynamite defense. I think he had a similar freshman Shabazz like effect on the team, you could see how much they rallied around him especially after the Iowa State game. Shabazz has even talked about how much Terrence reminds him of himself as a frosh with his non-stop talking and almost having too much energy. It's Boat's team but I also see Terrence being a leader in just his sophomore season, I know he will become a Husky fan favorite.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
TSam's +/- was very high last year and I would expect that to continue with extended minutes this year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
TSam got to the rim easily last year- and finished a high percentage of them. He can hawk the ball and lead the break. I have a feeling he earns 15 min a game.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Terrence and Purvis almost seem like the same type of player. Both slashers with great finishing ability but below average shooters. This team next year will be exciting. In a greatly exaggerated comparison, this coming team will be a pair of Dwyane Wades (Purvis and Samuel), Patrick Ewing (Brimah), a Jeremy Lamb (DHam), Avery Bradley (Boatright), along with a slew of young players and Josh smith level 3-pt shooting from Omar. Hopefully we can find some 3 point shooters.

Reaction Score
He seems like a kid who can come in and play with high energy for short stretches and be effective, not sure if he can be a 30+ minute/night player yet. We'll have to see him this year for longer stretches, if Boat or Purvis get in early foul trouble or something.

I like the positivity. I think this is rare from you! But I agree. 15-20 minutes of attacking and hounding defense. This kid will be the lead dog eventually but not quite yet IMO.

Reaction Score
Terrence and Purvis almost seem like the same type of player. Both slashers with great finishing ability but below average shooters. This team next year will be exciting. In a greatly exaggerated comparison, this coming team will be a pair of Dwyane Wades (Purvis and Samuel), Patrick Ewing (Brimah), a Jeremy Lamb (DHam), Avery Bradley (Boatright), along with a slew of young players and Josh smith level 3-pt shooting from Omar. Hopefully we can find some 3 point shooters.

I like the Purvis and DHam comp. I think Samuel is more of a Taliek. I think Boat is similar (but a poor mans version) to Bradley on D but not O. He isn't the nearly as good taking it to the hole but is better already with his shooting. You either hate Omar or don't watch the NBA. Josh Smith level 3-PT shooting is as big of a slight as it gets.

Reaction Score
Sample size caveats apply, of course, but Samuel sure looked like a player last year. He can defend, he has a good handle, and he can finish around the rim. I feel good about him.

At 6'3", he's also got good size.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I like the Purvis and DHam comp. I think Samuel is more of a Taliek. I think Boat is similar (but a poor mans version) to Bradley on D but not O. He isn't the nearly as good taking it to the hole but is better already with his shooting. You either hate Omar or don't watch the NBA. Josh Smith level 3-PT shooting is as big of a slight as it gets.
I don't hate Omar, I really hope he can step up for us this year because it could really set us apart from the rest of the country in terms of depth. We know he has the talent, he was the Gatorade State POY in NY. Yet recently when rewatching early games from this past season, every time Omar touched the ball, it lead to a turnover, or an incredibly awkward and unnatural dribble drive into a bad shot/pass. It's possible his injury was still bothering him but he was seriously bad and shots were just flat, to the point that Ollie had to shut the kid down completely near the end of the season.

I hope he is healthy this season and gets his shot back because we could really use the 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
I don't hate Omar, I really hope he can step up for us this year because it could really set us apart from the rest of the country in terms of depth. We know he has the talent, he was the Gatorade State POY in NY. Yet recently when rewatching early games from this past season, every time Omar touched the ball, it lead to a turnover, or an incredibly awkward and unnatural dribble drive into a bad shot/pass. It's possible his injury was still bothering him but he was seriously bad, to the point that Ollie had to shut the kid down completely near the end of the season.

I hope he is healthy this season and gets his shot back because we could really use the 3 point shooting.

Josh Smith? Josh Smith?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Josh Smith? Josh Smith?

Omar Calhoun's 3PT% this year was 24.1%

Josh Smith's 3PT% this season was 26.4%

Its very comparable, their game styles are not being compared here though, just shooting efficiency.

Reaction Score
Kid is my fav. Love me some t Sam
Hunch - watch him rebound this year
Finishes w both hands
Uconn guts no fear
Could improve his jumper but very active off ball on offense.
Great off ball defender (Denys the ball)
He is awesome and will have a big year

Reaction Score
Omar Calhoun's 3PT% this year was 24.1%

Josh Smith's 3PT% this season was 26.4%

Its very comparable, their game styles are not being compared here though, just shooting efficiency.

Yikes. This is the Boneyard, I guess.

Edit: You are a moron.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don't see a lot to compare in Purvis and TSam. Rodney will glide a little to get to the hoop and use a burst of athleticism to get by his defender while Terrence will just get there, no matter how as he is a strong kid. I'm not sure how everyone is talking about Rodney's inability to shoot the ball as I believe as a freshman at NCSt he shot about 36-38% from 3 which is nothing to sneeze at from an athlete like that. Not sure how they compare on D, we know TSam is a tough defender, maybe needs a little more foot speed but not bad.

Let's face it we have a lot of answers in the backcourt and everyone will have their chance to fight for those minutes including Sam Jr and Omar also. The 3 "guard" line up will not be seen as unusual when it is on the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom