Terms used in Sports that make You Cringe*** I have a few, the one that I find the most cringe worthy is "True Freshman". | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Terms used in Sports that make You Cringe*** I have a few, the one that I find the most cringe worthy is "True Freshman".

Reaction Score
Except that's an actual thing in college football where redshirts are still common due to the physical nature of the game. People using it for other sports is quite stupid, though, yes. Using it in the proper context where a "true freshman" actually competes in football against older, more physical players, makes total sense.

Reaction Score
Except that's an actual thing in college football where redshirts are still common due to the physical nature of the game. People using it for other sports is quite stupid, though, yes. Using it in the proper context where a "true freshman" actually competes in football against older, more physical players, makes total sense.
Late is Amihere will be a “red shirt” junior this year despite bing a senior in terms of classes. She WAS redshirted her freshman year due to injury.Raven Johnson will be a “redshirt” freshman due to injury after one game.

Personally, I think it’s descriptive oh well

Reaction Score
Right! A freshman is a freshman. The only other type is a redshirt freshman. “True freshman” is unnecessary
If the announcer just says "freshman", you really do not know if it's their 1st or 2nd year at the school and whether they might have had some college sports experience the previous season.

If they say "true freshman", then you know it's their 1st school at the school and that they have no college sports experience.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned the rock? I was listening to a college football game this afternoon, and the announcer called the football “the rock”. It was a warm afternoon, so I'm sure the ball didn’t feel especially igneous. Pigskin might sound dated, and who knows if they make them out of wombat hides these days. Would Belichick/Brady use squishy rocks, with 6% fewer rock molecules, and extra peanut butter?

Reaction Score
'Nose' for something. Whether it is "he has a nose for the ball' or 'he has a nose for the big play', I just don't get it. Another nose related phrase is 'they can smell the upset'. It what world does that make sense.

Still, I thnk it is a lot of complaining over nothing. These guys get paid to talk for 2-3 hourse or 4 if it is a Red Sox-Yankees game, and you can't just keep saying the same thing over every time. That's why the first time that NESN showed an 'Inane Banter Warning' during an Orsillo-Remy broadcast I lost it.

I get more upset when guys like Calipari get praised up and down and they bring up his Final Four teams without mentioning the fact that a few were vacated and al the baggage that schools were strapped with when he'd leave them high and dry in the middle of the night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom