Ten Guys Settling Into Their Roles | The Boneyard

Ten Guys Settling Into Their Roles

Reaction Score
Looks like you can say goodbye to "positionless" basketball.

Against Miami, AG and Gaffney exactly split the 40 minutes at PG (27/13).
Carlton and Whaley exactly split the 40 minutes at center (29/11).
Akok and Sid exactly split the 40 minutes at PF (25/14) - one minute to a walk-on.

The only flex was at the 2/3 where CV and Adams split the 40 minutes at the 2 and grabbed 5 minutes from the 3 (24/21).
This left 35 minutes at the 3, which Bouk and Tyler split 19/15, with one minute to a walk-on.

Looks like DH has pretty much figured out how he wants to spot these guys -- at least in a game were there's no foul trouble and no defensive mismatches. And, of course, no injuries. A lot can happen to change the best laid plans.

One observation is that Bouk's minutes are coming mainly from Tyler. Best assumption is that as Bouk's minutes climb toward 30, Tyler's will drop toward 10. I'd submit, though, that a battle for minutes may develop between CV and Tyler. If CV continues his controlled play, Tyler is going to sit. But if CV lapses into old habits, you may see more of Bouk at the 2 and more of Tyler at the 3.

Check back again in a month.

Reaction Score
One observation is that Bouk's minutes are coming mainly from Tyler. Best assumption is that as Bouk's minutes climb toward 30, Tyler's will drop toward 10. I'd submit, though, that a battle for minutes may develop between CV and Tyler. If CV continues his controlled play, Tyler is going to sit. But if CV lapses into old habits, you may see more of Bouk at the 2 and more of Tyler at the 3.

Tyler is much more likely to take minutes from Sid than from CV, especially since BA is better than Sid.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
10 is a lot of guys to play regularly. It looks like we can do it without a drop off.

In the JC days, this meant that you play hard, play smart, or you sit. It's a good position to be in.

Also glad that positionless ball is done. That only works as a 4 guard line up or you are the Warriors the last 4 years. It is not a recipe for consistant college success.

Reaction Score
Looks like you can say goodbye to "positionless" basketball.

Against Miami, AG and Gaffney exactly split the 40 minutes at PG (27/13).
Carlton and Whaley exactly split the 40 minutes at center (29/11).
Akok and Sid exactly split the 40 minutes at PF (25/14) - one minute to a walk-on.

The only flex was at the 2/3 where CV and Adams split the 40 minutes at the 2 and grabbed 5 minutes from the 3 (24/21).
This left 35 minutes at the 3, which Bouk and Tyler split 19/15, with one minute to a walk-on.

Looks like DH has pretty much figured out how he wants to spot these guys -- at least in a game were there's no foul trouble and no defensive mismatches. And, of course, no injuries. A lot can happen to change the best laid plans.

Good post, thanks for the stats.

I’d also say Tyler won’t be losing minutes to Bouk. He’s becoming the most reliable shooter. The last couple of games we’ve seen Hurley actually run plays to free Tyler for a shot. Set plays to a shooter. He said in the halftime interview he’s looking for guys who can put the ball in the basket. At Tyler’s shooting rate, he’s gonna play big time in the big time games

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it's going to vary game to game, as it should. But we are deep and I think we will continue to see UConn be a very strong second half team, throwing waves of fresh defenders at the opponent.

Wilson and Akok playing together can allow us to sit Carlton/Whaley and make us so much more athletic and so much faster. Akok flys back on defense. I've never seen a big hustle back like he does. Carlton is an iceberg out there, never gets above a jog.

It's going to be interesting to see how things change. Hurley has an opportunity to reward hustle, effort and smart play.

Reaction Score
Good post, thanks for the stats. <snip> I’d also say Tyler won’t be losing minutes to Bouk. <snip>

I assume you mean that Tyler's minutes will come from someone else, not that Bouk won't play.

If you mean DH will play Bouk at the 2 over Adams, giving Tyler minutes at the 3, we have an honest disagreement. Adams has totally won me over. Not only do we need his strength and aggressiveness, he himself is a legit 3-point threat. I think we'll see more and more of Adams. I think it's more likely that Bouk is gradually worked in at the 2 over CV, giving Tyler minutes at the 3.

If you mean Tyler takes minutes from Sid at the 4, more likely. But I like Sid behind Akok as Hurley opts for rebounds and shot-blocking at the position over offense.

We'll see.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Good post, thanks for the stats.

I’d also say Tyler won’t be losing minutes to Bouk. He’s becoming the most reliable shooter. The last couple of games we’ve seen Hurley actually run plays to free Tyler for a shot. Set plays to a shooter. He said in the halftime interview he’s looking for guys who can put the ball in the basket. At Tyler’s shooting rate, he’s gonna play big time in the big time games
Yea at this point hes a reliable spot up shooter, which is excellent and the reason I dont see him loosing his minutes

Reaction Score
In his postgame, Hurley remarked on the competition for minutes being an important motivator for guys to play better and take smarter shots. He also said on all of his best teams he has played 9 or 10 guys. Helpful in wearing other teams down.

The position breakdown stuff is interesting. Thanks OP!

Reaction Score
30 mins is fine for gilbert against a weaker team to build up his confidence, but that will need to come down against stronger teams if his performance does not improve.

Reaction Score
I assume you mean that Tyler's minutes will come from someone else, not that Bouk won't play.

If you mean DH will play Bouk at the 2 over Adams, giving Tyler minutes at the 3, we have an honest disagreement. Adams has totally won me over. Not only do we need his strength and aggressiveness, he himself is a legit 3-point threat. I think we'll see more and more of Adams. I think it's more likely that Bouk is gradually worked in at the 2 over CV, giving Tyler minutes at the 3.

If you mean Tyler takes minutes from Sid at the 4, more likely. But I like Sid behind Akok as Hurley opts for rebounds and shot-blocking at the position over offense.

We'll see.
Yah, sorry for the confusing post. Bouk is a must play, Tyler will be needed, thinking more than 10 min a game. There will be true competition at all spots for sure. That only makes them better.

Reaction Score
am i the only one who doesnt like seeing sid play PF at 180lbs?

Reaction Score
am i the only one who doesnt like seeing sid play PF at 180lbs?

And your solution is? We have 3 true bigs. Whalley is too big a liability offensively to get minutes at the 4. Either Wilson or Polley (or more likely both moving forward as Bouknight demands more minutes a game) are going to play the 4. Neither is a true 4, but Polley played it all last year and Wilson looks better as a 4 than a 3 because it makes it easier not to force things offensively.

Reaction Score
Still feels like were a little shorthanded down low. Springs redshirting hurts, when Josh and Whaley get in foul trouble like they did against Xavier we are at risk of getting bullied inside

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tyler is much more likely to take minutes from Sid than from CV, especially since BA is better than Sid.
What has Sid done this year besides play hard and smart? He's played himself into the mix and rightly so. I loved that rebound, drive then dish play and the end of the first half.

All of the guys have shown they can help out. Assuming they keep working hard, match-ups will determine PT a lot of the time.

Reaction Score
What has Sid done this year besides play hard and smart? He's played himself into the mix and rightly so. I loved that rebound, drive then dish play and the end of the first half.

All of the guys have shown they can help out. Assuming they keep working hard, match-ups will determine PT a lot of the time.

I don't disagree, but my point stands.

More a relative compliment to BA and Tyler. Tyler has a 123 ORTG and BA has a 138(!).

BA's pressure defense is tone-setting ala Ricky Moore. His man gets by him occasionally (and so he's not actually Ricky Moore), but his effort on D amps up the team's D and the team's energy in general.

Tyler is a weapon and the only consistent shooter we have. He's showing a bit of midrange game off the move this year, too. The efficiency and spacing is important.

A Sid highlight play gets the team fired up, but that's not as consistent as BA's D or Polley's spacing. Other than hitting the offensive glass, he doesn't really have a role on offense.

I agree matchups will dictate a lot, but if Bouk needs more minutes at the expense of Tyler, but we still want to play Tyler more, I'd rather we slot Tyler to the 4 at times than Bouk to the 2 at the expense of BA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BA's pressure defense is tone-setting ala Ricky Moore. His man gets by him occasionally (and so he's not actually Ricky Moore), but his effort on D amps up the team's D and the team's energy in general.
You can see Adams confidence growing and he's getting some swagger. There are other guys on the team that flashier athlete's but BA is going to be a key for us over the next three years. I really like the kid. I didn't think that last year.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Sorry...when I read the title of the thread I couldn't resist. ;)

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I agree matchups will dictate a lot, but if Bouk needs more minutes at the expense of Tyler, but we still want to play Tyler more, I'd rather we slot Tyler to the 4 at times than Bouk to the 2 at the expense of BA.

As long as he doesn't eat into Akok's minutes. ;)

It really feels good to be having these problems again.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, Sid held his position with Xavier's Jones far better than Whaley did. Didn't expect that.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Sid played great in this last game, but my issue with him is that he feels the need to put up a shot every time he touches the ball. If he can learn to catch, assess the situation, then make his decision on what to do, he would be a much better player. He took a step in the right direction yesterday, and he's still young so he can definitely improve in that area.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sid played great in this last game, but my issue with him is that he feels the need to put up a shot every time he touches the ball. If he can learn to catch, assess the situation, then make his decision on what to do, he would be a much better player. He took a step in the right direction yesterday, and he's still young so he can definitely improve in that area.

His BBIQ was so jelly fam (read low) when he got here, he's got a lot farther to go than most. It's a work in progress, but he's making strides.

Hurley has shown the ability to instill that into these guys now. I'm really impressed with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom