Temple in retrospect | The Boneyard

Temple in retrospect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's a good team. We are in a league of good teams. And, the warmed over Programs feel the need to regenerate and compete (see Tulane). We have dropped in attendance; but, each of these Programs compete and, despite our whining, our league may be better than our late Big East components in the near future.

Temple went 2-10; 6-6; and now 10-2. And, yes, that probably means Matt Ruhle is moving on. After we have gone 2-10 and now 6-6; this is what we call a Comparable.

What does Temple have?

A really solid College QB in Walker.

Great Defensive Line presence and solid LBs. Good pressure and push; solid tackling.

Surprisingly good 3-4 WRs; not just Anderson (#19)

Thomas is a good RB and they showed some depth.

We (I believe) have consistently had better secondary than what I saw from Temple. Better TEs

We just witnessed Temple (over the last year) get far better. Without knowing finite details (as we don't watch them closely), I gather that they mixed a whole lot of good RFR and Sophomores into that lineup this past year. I think what Ruhle (and staff) did is a great achievement. I do think Temple could beat all of our northeastern FBS neighbors. Fairly easily. And, they are at least mid-level B1G to ACC good. How about throwing that ball around like the B12? Well, we will see that this week.

Reaction Score
Temple program had a major, major chip on their shoulder to prove something this season after getting denied a bowl game at 6-6 last season. They have something like 25 seniors or something, most of them starters this year, that were juniors last year, that were sitting around waiting for a bowl selection for the first time, and didn't get it.

Make no mistake about what effective motivation can do for people.. Temple's 2015 season is about one thing, resolving the issue of being stood up at the prom for a bowl game, left with no date.

The day they got snubbed for a bowl game, they started working toward what they are now. They are a good team in 2015, and they've played well throughout, not much development needed, just execution and maintaining the high level of play.

It will be interesting to see what they're going to turn into next season after all the seniors graduate, and they don't have that same motivation anymore. Have they been recruiting well? We'll see.

Temple is not a program or a school that I'm concerned about modeling when it comes to athletics, academics, student athletes and football recruiting and performance. Much better models out there. B1G models.

It will be more interesting for me, to see how we prepare for our bowl game and whether or not we finish as winners or losers in 2015 - because we will be either 7-6 or 6-7 when it's over. I'm more interested to see how we translate this season into preparing and motivating for next season.

Reaction Score
Pudge

I agree with most of this but...it doesn't matter that our league is better or equal or worse than the old big east. We had rivals there. Teams we played in other sports going back decades. We have zero history with most of the AAC and that is a problem for us. Our biggest "traditional" league rivals are Temple, South Florida and Cincinatti, none of whom we have any history like we have with BC or Syracuse or even Rutgers. And while winning will bring back fans playing teams you care about will help much more.

Reaction Score
Pudge

I agree with most of this but...it doesn't matter that our league is better or equal or worse than the old big east. We had rivals there. Teams we played in other sports going back decades. We have zero history with most of the AAC and that is a problem for us. Our biggest "traditional" league rivals are Temple, South Florida and Cincinatti, none of whom we have any history like we have with BC or Syracuse or even Rutgers. And while winning will bring back fans playing teams you care about will help much more.

What are you going to do? Whine for a decade?

I think folks knew the fault line in College Football in the years prior to our debut at the RENT in 2003. For my view of OUR future, I say we go top College Football anyway.

Of course, I am the one that thinks OUR future is far better than Syracuse and BC; we still have more fanbase that we can grow in this thing.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Totally agree with your assessment. I was at the Temple game and saw a defense that played at an entirely different level than any team I've watched in person this season, including seeing Notre Dame. Their D line and linebackers dominate the LOS and hit with such force, finishing tackles all the way through and swarming the ball. It was really a treat to watch the energy their D played with. Offense was no slouch either. Good passing attack and Jahad Thomas looked like an NFL caliber running back...his first few steps out of the backfield are quick and powerful with good speed around the edge. His long TD run was very impressive. Would have been closer with Shirreffs, but they were a superior team in all three phases of the game and we have nothing to be embarrassed about. Lost to a very good football team.

Reaction Score
That's a good team. We are in a league of good teams. And, the warmed over Programs feel the need to regenerate and compete (see Tulane). We have dropped in attendance; but, each of these Programs compete and, despite our whining, our league may be better than our late Big East components in the near future.

Temple went 2-10; 6-6; and now 10-2. And, yes, that probably means Matt Ruhle is moving on. After we have gone 2-10 and now 6-6; this is what we call a Comparable.
As a real estate guy, you know comps should always be adjusted versus the subject.

Big difference is recruiting right now for Temple versus Uconn. 2012-2015 rankings in chronological order for Temple -
77, 85, 59, 73
Uconn same years -
78, 65, 117, 100

4 consistent years for Temple versus two that on paper appear to have been over ranked and 2 that appear to be under ranked. Also, Temple has an offensive philosophy that is geared to score significantly more points than Uconn, no matter who the Uconn QB is. Finally, Temple replaced a coach who left versus a coach who was fired. Trying to build on some prior success is easier than starting from the bottom.

6-6 is at least one if not 2 seasons ahead of schedule in my opinion. Diaco got the team in the right mindset. The jump from 6-6 to conference championship will hinge on recruiting going forward and the ability to have an offense that can bail out the D when needed.

Reaction Score
I totally reject the recruiting rankings argument. (and I can play games with Cap rates too)

There is little empirical evidence that correlates Northeast recruiting rankings to success. I have watched recruiting for 15 years in the northeast; more No Stars have succeeded far beyond any expectation. You have meager evaluation capacity of any service in NY & NE. It is just silly to think you can equate that with a Pennsylvania kid.

I don't remember why Ruhle went 2-10 his first year. Have no clue. You would think Addazio would have given him a roster he could work with versus a Pasqualoni era we see as a failure.

Reaction Score
Temple program had a major, major chip on their shoulder to prove something this season after getting denied a bowl game at 6-6 last season. They have something like 25 seniors or something, most of them starters this year, that were juniors last year, that were sitting around waiting for a bowl selection for the first time, and didn't get it.

Make no mistake about what effective motivation can do for people.. Temple's 2015 season is about one thing, resolving the issue of being stood up at the prom for a bowl game, left with no date.

The day they got snubbed for a bowl game, they started working toward what they are now. They are a good team in 2015, and they've played well throughout, not much development needed, just execution and maintaining the high level of play.

It will be interesting to see what they're going to turn into next season after all the seniors graduate, and they don't have that same motivation anymore. Have they been recruiting well? We'll see.

Temple is not a program or a school that I'm concerned about modeling when it comes to athletics, academics, student athletes and football recruiting and performance. Much better models out there. B1G models.

It will be more interesting for me, to see how we prepare for our bowl game and whether or not we finish as winners or losers in 2015 - because we will be either 7-6 or 6-7 when it's over. I'm more interested to see how we translate this season into preparing and motivating for next season.

I agree with most of that but I refuse to call this group losers no matter how the season ends. This group of seniors, with all they endured, is going out as a group of winners for the simple fact they got this program back to a bowl game. I believe they will have started the next streak of consecutive bowl games, and they deserve a lot of respect.

Reaction Score
I totally reject the recruiting rankings argument. (and I can play games with Cap rates too)

There is little empirical evidence that correlates Northeast recruiting rankings to success. I have watched recruiting for 15 years in the northeast; more No Stars have succeeded far beyond any expectation. You have meager evaluation capacity of any service in NY & NE. It is just silly to think you can equate that with a Pennsylvania kid.

I don't remember why Ruhle went 2-10 his first year. Have no clue. You would think Addazio would have given him a roster he could work with versus a Pasqualoni era we see as a failure.
Wow, that was faster than I expected. In the 2-10 year, they lost 4 games by 3 points or less, 1 game by a TD and 2 other by 10 or less. They were competitive but unsuccessful.

I just was pointing out that Rhule making a jump form 2-10 to conference championship in 3 seasons has many components to it and given the lack of emprical evidence for recruiting, I choose to use the only source available to me and make some subjective conclusions. I think we can all agree that Diaco needs to upgrade the recruiting to have Uconn compete for conference championships. Without talent, 6-6 becomes the norm.

Also, last year Uconn had 14 recruits outside of CT and NY, in 2014 it was 9 (64% of each class) so using your logic, 64% of the class was evaluated appropriately. Newsome, Thomas and Summers (three of the best skill kids on the team who coincidentally are from CT, CT and NY ) were 3 stars , which is actually evidence of validity in my simple mind. So I will continue to look at rankings while recognizing the inherent flaws in them. They are better than anything else out there.

Since you brought it up, on cap rates, here is a question I have been asking a lot of CRE people at conferences lately - How much do you believe "V" in all of the LTV calculations?

Reaction Score
Top to bottom I think this league will be better. Most years the big east (during our time in it) had one real good team at the top followed by real mediocre teams. The exception being 06, when WVU, Ville, and RU were all good.

This year you got Houston, Navy, Temple, with USF and Memphis just behind them. We will see going forward, but early on the league looks promising.

Reaction Score
Wow, that was faster than I expected. In the 2-10 year, they lost 4 games by 3 points or less, 1 game by a TD and 2 other by 10 or less. They were competitive but unsuccessful.

I just was pointing out that Rhule making a jump form 2-10 to conference championship in 3 seasons has many components to it and given the lack of emprical evidence for recruiting, I choose to use the only source available to me and make some subjective conclusions. I think we can all agree that Diaco needs to upgrade the recruiting to have Uconn compete for conference championships. Without talent, 6-6 becomes the norm.

Also, last year Uconn had 14 recruits outside of CT and NY, in 2014 it was 9 (64% of each class) so using your logic, 64% of the class was evaluated appropriately. Newsome, Thomas and Summers (three of the best skill kids on the team who coincidentally are from CT, CT and NY ) were 3 stars , which is actually evidence of validity in my simple mind. So I will continue to look at rankings while recognizing the inherent flaws in them. They are better than anything else out there.

Since you brought it up, on cap rates, here is a question I have been asking a lot of CRE people at conferences lately - How much do you believe "V" in all of the LTV calculations?

January 2014 was Diaco's hiring month. I don't think the kids who came then are indicative of anything. Diaco and his small group (signing on like a hockey shift) quickly grabbed a few good guys recommended by contacts OR the kids leftover from ND or VA or Richmond or Central Michigan. Not a good evaluative situation. Signing class 2015 had all my many complaints rolled into it. I just don't think, in the Northeast, you have good people making up these rankings; I think they are slanted by "who offered" and that is a far from perfect understanding of a kids value (kids and others lie); and then you have a bias by sites. Rutgers Rivals would get a 3 star for the same kid we would get a 2 star. If you want to make your case, go right ahead. I don't think it is valid.

The V in LTV, imho, is entirely determined by your Agency problem. If you let your loan officer/committee get paid by volume & you have lax regulations on how the Appraisals are getting assigned, the V is a variable that makes the agent more dollars. If you use a true "V" (which I have rarely found in my years), then often the deals are being done NOT by the highest loan dollars but rather for other terms or conditions. In this case, I totally believe "V" when the process is an independent group in the lending organization assigning the Appraisal. Or in the case of the LiCo, the committee is rigorously testing the Value in market like terms. If the Mortgage Banker gets to do the underwriting, you can be certain that they found a way to make the numbers work so he gets paid.

Reaction Score
The V in LTV, imho,
You and I could have a very long and interesting discussion on this. Much like recruiting, V in CRE is way too influenced by other things and biases. I personally love looking a sale comp maps that have a picture of the US. It makes me so very confident in the comps. I agree that LiCo V is way more valid than most other V's but this is not the time or the place for this discussion.

Reaction Score
January 2014 was Diaco's hiring month. I don't think the kids who came then are indicative of anything. Diaco and his small group (signing on like a hockey shift) quickly grabbed a few good guys recommended by contacts OR the kids leftover from ND or VA or Richmond or Central Michigan. Not a good evaluative situation. Signing class 2015 had all my many complaints rolled into it. I just don't think, in the Northeast, you have good people making up these rankings; I think they are slanted by "who offered" and that is a far from perfect understanding of a kids value (kids and others lie); and then you have a bias by sites. Rutgers Rivals would get a 3 star for the same kid we would get a 2 star. If you want to make your case, go right ahead. I don't think it is valid.

The V in LTV, imho, is entirely determined by your Agency problem. If you let your loan officer/committee get paid by volume & you have lax regulations on how the Appraisals are getting assigned, the V is a variable that makes the agent more dollars. If you use a true "V" (which I have rarely found in my years), then often the deals are being done NOT by the highest loan dollars but rather for other terms or conditions. In this case, I totally believe "V" when the process is an independent group in the lending organization assigning the Appraisal. Or in the case of the LiCo, the committee is rigorously testing the Value in market like terms. If the Mortgage Banker gets to do the underwriting, you can be certain that they found a way to make the numbers work so he gets paid.

Wow. I agree with the first paragraph. The second paragraph is a MAJOR DWEEB ALERT!!!!

Reaction Score
LOL. Pudge and I hung out in Toronto the night before our bowl game there. The whole point of ME calling someone a dweeb is .,,,
Some of us got it. Use of the word "dweeb" in and of itself gave away the self-depricating nature of the post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom