Temple Denies Reports About Big East | The Boneyard

Temple Denies Reports About Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's probably a legal thing (I guess?), but they are denying any agreement in principle with the Big East, and mention that they are "still evaluating." Really??

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2012/03/03/report-temple-denies-report-of-big-east-move/

The part I particularly like is when the Temple Chairman of the Board of Trustees states that there is "no verbal commitment, no written commitment, and no oral commitment." The fact that he specifies both an oral and verbal commitment as being different things, I'm really starting to wonder what he mean by "oral"....enjoy....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
oral is when the commish of the BE gets his mouth on that cheesesteak he has wated for a while now and verbal is afterwards when the rooms smells, some 1 joking asks who farted and he runs to touch to door knob.

Reaction Score
WVU could not have ducked the Big East any harder had they tried to. They should ever be remembered for that.

Temple could very well be holding out for an all-sport membership. Wouldn't blame them if they were and wouldn't surprise me if they hold a card or two to get that.

What a total mess.....

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
WVU could not have ducked the Big East any harder had they tried to. They should ever be remembered for that.

Temple could very well be holding out for an all-sport membership. Wouldn't blame them if they were and wouldn't surprise me if they hold a card or two to get that.

What a total mess.....

I'm thinking the all-sports issue is a done deal at this point. I'm guessing what's holding up the issue is the MAC conference negotiated payout, and who is going to end up paying it. Is the Big East capable of playing hardball? If we end up paying for the entire thing, so that Temple can join a year early, I think I will crap my own pants...

Reaction Score
Sad, spectacular and hilarious all at the same time.

Go ahead meatball, give ECU a call.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Word on the street: 'Nova is trying to extract some type of 'media rights fee' out of the whole deal as well.

I'm trying to find more info on this - I'll post it when I do...

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Shoot, never mind - all that info was from a very crafty troll. Looked credible until I found him bragging about his deception on another messageboard.

Carry on, folks...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Nice catch, Epark. The wild and wacky world of realignment continues...

Reaction Score
Is the Big East capable of playing hardball? If we end up paying for the entire thing, so that Temple can join a year early, I think I will crap my own pants...

No. We are not. The WVU situation is all you need to look at. That scenario was a Mexican standoff involving us, WVU, and the Big Ten -- and we were the only ones holding a gun. And yet somehow we still agreed to give WVU and the Big Ten exactly what they wanted and are now on bended knee before Temple. It's beyond ridiculous.

Reaction Score
No. We are not. The WVU situation is all you need to look at. That scenario was a Mexican standoff involving us, WVU, and the Big Ten -- and we were the only ones holding a gun. And yet somehow we still agreed to give WVU and the Big Ten exactly what they wanted and are now on bended knee before Temple. It's beyond ridiculous.
Except that it was the Big 12 (with 10 members) I totally agree.

Reaction Score
Except that it was the Big 12 (with 10 members) I totally agree.

Except that your standoff presumes our water gun would be able to hold off the WV court system and that any court, frankly, would force a non-compete on a state university. Other than that, spot on.

Reaction Score
I don't. I would prefer we held ourselves to the same standards we seek to hold our students. Would you send your kids to be educated by the powers that be in Morgantown? What kind of courses in ethics might you expect an impressionable teenager to get from Slick Olly?

His game will play well in the B12, a conference where no school trusts another, where folks will say anything, and UT and OU hold everyone hostage. You can trade your ethiccs in for a buck, but you can never get your integrity back. I hope we take the high road.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
gioff, I hope we look out for the overall interests of the university first and foremost.

Just to play devil's advocate, do you think anybody trusts each other in the NNBE? It's not like we're talking about the NESCAC (Williams, Bowdoin, Amherst) here. There's no perfect situation, but WVU's actions are only slightly uglier than Pitt's and SU's (and what UConn would do if it had a lifeline out of this clusterf*** of a conference).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom