Telling (but early) team statistic... | The Boneyard

Telling (but early) team statistic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
With 20 assists and 5 turnovers against Furman, UConn's assist-to-turnover ratio for the season is an impressive 2.42-to-1. That's tops in the country right now.
(http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/474)

Last season, the same statistic for the Huskies was 1.03-to-1.

Granted, we've played some pretty bad teams so far, but I still think it's a very good sign of things to come. With a shorter shot clock this year, running an efficient offense and taking care of the ball against the press becomes more important than ever. So far, we've done that.

The 2 big questions coming into this year were the team's chemistry and leadership. The chemistry has clearly been superb so far based on the number of assisted baskets and the balanced offense... everyone is moving the ball and sharing it well. We're a deep and versatile team with lots of scoring options and the team seems to really enjoy playing with one another. The quotes from the team have echoed that as well.

So... maybe the team's overall chemistry, depth, and versatility will make up for any perceived lack of 'leadership'. This team, in my opinion, doesn't have a lack of leadership despite the fact that, unlike recently GREAT UConn squads, it does not have a TOP DOG who is a guaranteed go-to isolation threat with the game on the line. I don't think the lack of a go-to offensive threat is a bad thing either... as we become a harder team to predict and defend.

I know it's early, but I really like how this team looks and I'm excited to see how they do against better competition going forward.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There are times when Hamilton seems to be the de facto team leader on the floor. Good things happen when he gets touches and his decision to set up points for others rather than "get his" reminds me of Kemba.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
There are times when Hamilton seems to be the de facto team leader on the floor. Good things happen when he gets touches and his decision to set up points for others rather than "get his" reminds me of Kemba.

Agreed. But Kemba could still "get his" like I think DHam can. We have leadership between DHam, Purvis, and mature 5th year transfers. That doesn't necessarily mean those guys are our go-to isolation threats. I like that we have leadership AND balance on offense.

Reaction Score
Kemba, the most prolific scoring point guard we've ever had?
I'd have to say Chris Smith but Kemba to me had the best single season of any Husky ever.

Reaction Score
I think KO's offense has translated well to the new clock because how quick hitting it is. He called it 'circle action' last year, which is essentially a bevy of pick n rolls while passers circle to corners then back up top for spacing purposes. I like KO's philosophy because it has given him ample time to instill stern defensive principles and emphasize that end of the floor. Purvis struggled with grasping the offense early on but with a year under his belt you can see he just oozes confidence with every touch. Before he would catch and stare, making his decisions premeditated; now he catches and either attacks or gives it up fast. the offense puts the onus on offensive creativity by the guards and wings.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think KO's offense has translated well to the new clock because how quick hitting it is. He called it 'circle action' last year, which is essentially a bevy of pick n rolls while passers circle to corners then back up top for spacing purposes. I like KO's philosophy because it has given him ample time to instill stern defensive principles and emphasize that end of the floor. Purvis struggled with grasping the offense early on but with a year under his belt you can see he just oozes confidence with every touch. Before he would catch and stare, making his decisions premeditated; now he catches and either attacks or gives it up fast. the offense puts the onus on offensive creativity by the guards and wings.

For Purvis, I honestly thought it was rust. He looked like he had lost his instincts. I mean, he practiced with the guys for a year, it's not like he couldn't pick the technical things up.

Reaction Score
For Purvis, I honestly thought it was rust. He looked like he had lost his instincts. I mean, he practiced with the guys for a year, it's not like he couldn't pick the technical things up.
Yep he looked as though all his basketball instincts were gone . I was really down on him , and wasn't a fan of his ability to break down in isolation or even pass(a key part of KOs offense scheme). I remember boatloads of conversation on here about his transition to pg; we couldn't be more far off. He is best off in college as a "3+ D(efense)" sg, recently I was talking to a buddy and called him our thabo sefalosha or Danny green . I know it's just cupcakes but his attention to detail on defense and decisiveness on offense has turned him into our best player at the moment . We'll see if it continues .

Reaction Score
Strange statement. During the championship run, Kemba was all of the offense quite often. That was by necessity but and not in any way selfishness on his part, but I don't think his legacy here is that of a facilitator.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I do think this statistic is a good indicator of team chemistry. I was roundly criticized when I brought it up in evaluating Jerome's productivity and efficiency.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Strange statement. During the championship run, Kemba was all of the offense quite often. That was by necessity but and not in any way selfishness on his part, but I don't think his legacy here is that of a facilitator.
Early in the season he deferred to his teammates frequently. You don't get to 184 assists (@ 4.5 per game) in 2011 if you are strictly a shoot first guy. Now, during the last 11 in games in particular you are absolutely right, he was a huge part of the offense. I don't think that that run happens, however, if he hadn't worked to develop his teammates and team chemistry in the early part of the year.

Hamilton could be scoring far more than he is right now, instead he's getting everyone involved. It will pay dividends at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

We've got four guys on the court who have great handle for their positions and are very good passers. It's a helluva lot of fun to watch, and I expect our offense to continue to be very good even against good teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom