Tell me about BC's DC Don Brown | The Boneyard

Tell me about BC's DC Don Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Wasn't he your DC a few years ago? It's breaking that Jim Harbaugh has hired him as Michigan's new DC.

Reaction Score
He runs a D that brings TONS of pressure every down...the by product of that system is that it yields big plays. I don't know if he has ever had a chance to run his system at a school like UM that gets top level athletes. That will be interesting to watch.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Lots of pressure - with the right athletes it can disrupt any offense. But if you can find a gap, it is a big play. Kids loved playing in that defense.

Reaction Score
Our BC friends greatest fear is that don brown would be looking to get the hell out BC and find a nice landing space. That BC offense was only going to get him so far.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's being sent ahead to smooth the way into Michigan for Warde so that Warde can bring us into the Big Ten.

He works hard. Players like him, recruits like him. He basically builds a killer defense wherever he goes.

I'm semi-surprised it's taken him this long to land an elite gig.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Very good DC. Lots of pressure, blitz packages. Not afraid to leave DBs on an island but if you have good DBs (we've had some pretty good ones over the years), it works. Linebackers will absolutely LOVE playing for him.

Michigan has themselves a very good DC, no question about it.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone. This hire came out of nowhere. There was a guy with BC connections on a longtime, but not well known forum that had mentioned the BC boosters we in a tizzy about losing him to Michigan. That was it. The pay sites apparently knew nothing and even most insiders were surprised as well.

Sounds like he will fit right in with Harbaugh and the defensive coaching staff. We have very good db's and dl's coming back next year. LB's will be new, but that might not be a bad thing. They are recruiting the heck out of defensive lineman and it looks like that's what Brown's defense needs.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
  • One of his mottos was "solve your problems with aggression."
  • Just imagine a 60-year old guy with the energy to do jumping chest bumps with players.
  • You will give up a handful of big plays due to some of the sellout blitz packages. That is more than made up for with the chaos that his schemes cause. With a couple of talented corners that can be left on an island, he can have a field day with the opposing offense.

Reaction Score
You're going to love him. Aggressive, attacking style of defense. His first year there your D will be solid, making big plays, getting to the QB's, creating turnovers, but also giving up big plays. His 2nd year your D is going to be shut down/lights out good. One caveat though... when Bill Cubit was at WMU, his O ate Brown's D's lunch both times they played.... so you may want someone else game planning for Illinois, other than that, your D and fans will love the guy.

Reaction Score
As long as Michigan can put an offense on the field late in close games to win, with DB running the defense they're going to win a lot more than they lose.

If not, like when we had a top10 D in the country with him, and played tight games, they'll lose games on big plays agsinst the D.

High risk defensive football, but damn fun for players to play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As long as Michigan can put an offense on the field late in close games to win, with DB running the defense they're going to win a lot more than they lose.

If not, like when we had a top10 D in the country with him, and played tight games, they'll lose games on big plays agsinst the D.

High risk defensive football, but damn fun for players to play.

It seems to me it's also what they need to get over the hurdle and beat MSU and OSU. They need to be disruptive and gamble a little on both sides of the ball. The other benefit that is implied from what everyone has said, is that his D should generate turnovers.

Reaction Score
It seems to me it's also what they need to get over the hurdle and beat MSU and OSU. They need to be disruptive and gamble a little on both sides of the ball. The other benefit that is implied from what everyone has said, is that his D should generate turnovers.

His defense leaves huge open spaces on the field for the offense to exploit, if they can get the ball into those spaces. It really is controlled chaos. Take the run game away, and generate 2nd and 3rd downs with long distance and turn all hell loose on the offensive blocking and QB reads decision making. The defense works best, when you've got a lead on the scoreboard.

Somebody made the point about WMU. We played them twice, and they were able to pass protect well enough, and had a good enough QB to eat the defense up. We had a back breaking turnover from Whitmer in one game late if I remember correctly, and the other I think was McEntee's best game as a QB at UCONN - our offense couldn't keep up.

Reaction Score
You're going to love him. Aggressive, attacking style of defense. His first year there your D will be solid, making big plays, getting to the QB's, creating turnovers, but also giving up big plays. His 2nd year your D is going to be shut down/lights out good. One caveat though... when Bill Cubit was at WMU, his O ate Brown's D's lunch both times they played.... so you may want someone else game planning for Illinois, other than that, your D and fans will love the guy.

I can't remember that western michigan QB's name right now, but I think he got a look at the NFL. It could be my own brain revisionist history, but I just wrote about this - I think the WMU games weren't really that much of a blow out, we just couldn't get into a position on the scoreboard to really let Brown's defensive approach work - I think we were within striking distance at least at the end of the games - I remember Whitmer getting creamed, and turning it over late (how many times did that happen?) and I remember the home game McEntee threw I think 4 TD's.

I remember a different game, I can't remember which - where it was close late, and we got beat on a deep pass in single coverage over Dwayne Gratz. I think it might have been the Temple game where we couldn't hit a frigging field goal. Close game, again - and it was on the D to win it. NFL player now, and he got beat.

High risk defense, which brings high rewards and hard losses.

Reaction Score
I can't remember that western michigan QB's name right now, but I think he got a look at the NFL. It could be my own brain revisionist history, but I just wrote about this - I think the WMU games weren't really that much of a blow out, we just couldn't get into a position on the scoreboard to really let Brown's defensive approach work - I think we were within striking distance at least at the end of the games - I remember Whitmer getting creamed, and turning it over late (how many times did that happen?) and I remember the home game McEntee threw I think 4 TD's.

I remember a different game, I can't remember which - where it was close late, and we got beat on a deep pass in single coverage over Dwayne Gratz. I think it might have been the Temple game where we couldn't hit a frigging field goal. Close game, again - and it was on the D to win it. NFL player now, and he got beat.

High risk defense, which brings high rewards and hard losses.
They were both close games with UConn having a chance to tie or win late before turning it over in the final minute or so, both times. (Friggin' PP/GDL). In the game at Rentschler their QB picked our D apart. He threw for something like 500 yards (I think) and put up 38 points. Hitting a lot of quick slants, crossing patterns... and when we adjusted to take that away he went over the top a few times. We still had a chance to tie late in the game, but turned it over deep in their end while driving to tie the game in the final minute. The game at their place we were as mistake prone as ever.

Ya, I think it was the Temple game where we couldn't make a field goal to save our lives.

Reaction Score
I loved the premise of Don Brown's defenses at UConn. Pressure, press coverage, blitz almost every play, etc. However....a couple caveats. He had elite CBs while at UConn which helped him play that way. he had a handful drafted in early rounds. But that is also a credit to him. His teams tackle very well as well. Secondly, he didn't know when to take the pressure off and gave up a couple of big plays on third and fourth and long that cost the teams games in the fourth quarter. hopefully learning experiences for him, but they were stupid schemes in the circumstances

Reaction Score
Don Brown lives in the house that was featured in the opening credits of the "Full House" television series.

Reaction Score
with the athletes he'll be able to recruit at michigan, he will be a big success

Reaction Score
Who is Don Brown? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Pasqualoni tell it, anybody could have worked for Brown. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.
Addazio always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Don Brown.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Who is Don Brown? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Pasqualoni tell it, anybody could have worked for Brown. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.
Addazio always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Don Brown.

Love that movie !!! One of my very favorites! Hopefully Brown, will instill fear like Keyser Soze did!

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone. This hire came out of nowhere. There was a guy with BC connections on a longtime, but not well known forum that had mentioned the BC boosters we in a tizzy about losing him to Michigan. That was it. The pay sites apparently knew nothing and even most insiders were surprised as well.

Sounds like he will fit right in with Harbaugh and the defensive coaching staff. We have very good db's and dl's coming back next year. LB's will be new, but that might not be a bad thing. They are recruiting the heck out of defensive lineman and it looks like that's what Brown's defense needs.
BCU boosters number in the dozens. They keep them in one room at Danvers State Hospital. Don't give them any personal information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom