Technical (television broadcast) question | The Boneyard

Technical (television broadcast) question

Reaction Score
After years of being spoiled by CPTV and SNY, my wife and I moved to the Pacific Northwest. We'd done some research beforehand and learned that we could get to see the SNY broadcasts via ESPN3 by using a Roku. This was fine, as we'd also determined to 'cut the cable' at the time of our move (since the only television we watch is UConn WBB).

The scheme worked fine last season. But this year it's been impossible not to notice that the SNY-ESPN3 telecasts are very stutter-y, as if we're only seeing every 5th or 10th frame. It's very disconcerting, and it only happens when the game is on; the commercials are fine. And other carriers seem to be okay; the ND broadcast didn't have this problem.

Has anybody else - perhaps someone getting the telecasts via a similar route? - noticed a problem like this?

Reaction Score
I sometimes see the same effect when watching ESPN 3. I wish it was smooth all the time, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm just chalking it up to the limitations of the technology being used.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It may very well be your internet download speed. I haven't noticed it this season, but my service hasn't changed, plus it's fast here in the burbs.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
After years of being spoiled by CPTV and SNY, my wife and I moved to the Pacific Northwest. We'd done some research beforehand and learned that we could get to see the SNY broadcasts via ESPN3 by using a Roku. This was fine, as we'd also determined to 'cut the cable' at the time of our move (since the only television we watch is UConn WBB).

The scheme worked fine last season. But this year it's been impossible not to notice that the SNY-ESPN3 telecasts are very stutter-y, as if we're only seeing every 5th or 10th frame. It's very disconcerting, and it only happens when the game is on; the commercials are fine. And other carriers seem to be okay; the ND broadcast didn't have this problem.

Has anybody else - perhaps someone getting the telecasts via a similar route? - noticed a problem like this?
We cannot get SNY here, so we too watch on ESPN3 via Roku. Both games we watched this year had that glitchy interruption. However, I have "rebooted" or restarted and the problem disappeared. Pain, but it worked. Next game I plan to try it from my Spectrum cable platform to see how well that works. Our speed is high, so that should not be our downfall. We have had a similar issue with softball games on ESPN 3, so I don't believe it is an SNY feed thing. Good luck, and Go Huskies! :)

Reaction Score
We cannot get SNY here, so we too watch on ESPN3 via Roku. Both games we watched this year had that glitchy interruption. However, I have "rebooted" or restarted and the problem disappeared. Pain, but it worked. Next game I plan to try it from my Spectrum cable platform to see how well that works. Our speed is high, so that should not be our downfall. We have had a similar issue with softball games on ESPN 3, so I don't believe it is an SNY feed thing. Good luck, and Go Huskies! :)

Directv offers SNY, just a heads up if you are considering switching from cable.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Directv offers SNY, just a heads up if you are considering switching from cable.
Thanks for the tip. I think I saw another poster indicate that SNY on Direct is a regional thing. I will try to verify that one way or another.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the tip. I think I saw another poster indicate that SNY on Direct is a regional thing. I will try to verify that one way or another.

Not sure if you have to buy an additional sports package or not, but my father lives in South Carolina and gets SNY on Directv.

Reaction Score
I'm in southeastern PA and get SNY via Directv.

Reaction Score
I'm watching Watch ESPN directly -- no RToku -- and I found the last broadcast to be very stuittery,

Reaction Score

I get that using Roku also. Have heard (or seen here?) that Roku is low-budget in terms of how often they update their software. ?? In any case rebooting Roku usually takes care of it. I seldom have to do it more than once, somewhere in the first quarter.

Reaction Score
I get that using Roku also. Have heard (or seen here?) that Roku is low-budget in terms of how often they update their software. ?? In any case rebooting Roku usually takes care of it. I seldom have to do it more than once, somewhere in the first quarter.
Our Roku is pretty low end... I don't see any buttons on it. So just unplug it and plug it back in to re-boot I suppose. One thing I failed to mention was that the stuff we get on the Roku is by way of SlingTV. I'll give it a try, what's the worst that could happen?

Reaction Score
Our Roku is pretty low end... I don't see any buttons on it. So just unplug it and plug it back in to re-boot I suppose. One thing I failed to mention was that the stuff we get on the Roku is by way of SlingTV. I'll give it a try, what's the worst that could happen?
Guess I should have said reboot the GAME, not reboot Roku, sorry. No need to unplug anything. Just hit the home button on the Roku remote, then find ESPN again & find the game. Takes less than 30 seconds.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
SNY is on Directv here in balmy Illinois. Not cheap, but an effective solution.

Reaction Score

Try a larger and faster monitor, and just watch without Roku. I used a 24” Dell monitor, and the game was fine. Maybe not as comfortable, but it’s less than 2 hours.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom