OT: TECH...Getting Fired Up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: TECH...Getting Fired Up

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
yes it does. at consumer level.

I get 50 MB/50MB Fiber at work, and Im actually purchasing through ATT but Frontier owns last mile of all runs in state. Its a screamer. But dealing with them is also a nightmare of epic proportions. Frontier can blow me.

And here is the thing with cord cutting. I want to do it so bad. I work in tech, if anyone should be ahead of these curves its me. But every time I do my due diligence to estimate costs of cutting cord and replacing what I currently have I have never once in the last 3 years come up with more than 10 bucks a month savings. Could I save more? Sure. By giving up some services I currently have. Which is another discussion. But every time I go apples to apples the savings just isnt there for me.

X1 is just awesome. I don’t care that I pay more.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
X1 is just awesome. I don’t care that I pay more.

Its incredible and it keeps getting better. They keep constantly adding enhancements. I cant cut that cord for 10, even 20-25 bucks a month.

Reaction Score
Nothing more overrated than Kodi.

You’ll need to figure out which TV package you want to buy.

Vue, YouTubeTV, DirectTv - there must be like 8 of them now. All with different price points and combos.

Vue seems the best to me but that’s based off general feedback - I’ve never used it. You can cancel anytime so the most you’d be out is one month if they don’t have a trial.

I just wonder how long these live tv streaming services are going to last now that net neutrality is gone. Why would the cable company support any of these services who are direct competition to their cable services?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just wonder how long these live tv streaming services are going to last now that net neutrality is gone. Why would the cable company support any of these services who are direct competition to their cable services?
Is there an echo in here? ;)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
yes it does. at consumer level.

I get 50 MB/50MB Fiber at work, and Im actually purchasing through ATT but Frontier owns last mile of all runs in state. Its a screamer. But dealing with them is also a nightmare of epic proportions. Frontier can blow me.

And here is the thing with cord cutting. I want to do it so bad. I work in tech, if anyone should be ahead of these curves its me. But every time I do my due diligence to estimate costs of cutting cord and replacing what I currently have I have never once in the last 3 years come up with more than 10 bucks a month savings. Could I save more? Sure. By giving up some services I currently have. Which is another discussion. But every time I go apples to apples the savings just isnt there for me.
Same here.

One thing I just learned was a bonus from Comcast though: our router finally crapped out last week (we'd been using the same Linksys router for around 15 years or so) and in the process of trouble-shooting the problem with Comcast on the phone they told us: (1) they had a faster modem to give us; and (2) they now provide free routers paired to their modem. I expected to have to call Nerds to Go (or bribe you to come over) but it was easily solved the next day by stopping by Comcast in North Haven, picking up the new stuff and assigning my 16-year old (who drains more data that the rest of the house combined) to figure it out. It was done by the time I got home from work, for free!

Husky25

Reaction Score
You might be on his IGNORE list.
As far as I know, I'm nearly controversial enough to be on anyone's ignore list, so long as THEY are in their right mind (Has nothing to do with me, naturally.)

Reaction Score
I currently have comcast 100mbps for internet for $80/month. I then got signed up for directvNOW when they just came out and it was $35 for the normal $60 package for life. Also it includes HBO for free. So $35 a month for life with no fees. I use a Roku to access it on the TV which is great.

If you are a sports fan, obviously, I think YoutubeTV is the way to go if you can get this in your area. It has a lot of the local fox sports affiliates and all of the others. Not sure about MLB though.

I missed the DVR by switching to DirectvNow, but they are releasing it here soon and it is pretty good as I am in the Beta for that.

Currently saving about $70-$80 a month doing it this way. And have access to all of the streaming apps like WatchESPN, fox sports go, amc, nbc, etc.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Is there anything better than the "c" button on an X1 remote?
Yes. The microphone button. Especially since Xfinity changed the channel line up (I have since re-learned where NESN and CSNNE are.).

August_West

Reaction Score
Same here.

One thing I just learned was a bonus from Comcast though: our router finally crapped out last week (we'd been using the same Linksys router for around 15 years or so) and in the process of trouble-shooting the problem with Comcast on the phone they told us: (1) they had a faster modem to give us; and (2) they now provide free routers paired to their modem. I expected to have to call Nerds to Go (or bribe you to come over) but it was easily solved the next day by stopping by Comcast in North Haven, picking up the new stuff and assigning my 16-year old (who drains more data that the rest of the house combined) to figure it out. It was done by the time I got home from work, for free!

yup. Lets put it this way. I use their modem, router and built in wifi these days and I get all the other gear I could ever replace it with for free and choose not to. It works great.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yes. The microphone button. Especially since Xfinity changed the channel line up (I have since re-learned where NESN and CSNNE are.).

hitting C on the remote and getting the side screen up for every game in every sport on at the moment and the ability to get there in a single click without knowing channels is so fricking fantastic.

Husky25

Reaction Score
hitting C on the remote and getting the side screen up for every game in every sport on at the moment and the ability to get there in a single click without knowing channels is so fricking fantastic.
During the summer, I care basically only about the Red Sox. Come Winter, that expands to the Celtics and Bruins. As far as the Huskies are concerned, I will use the voice command. Though I do know that the sports channels start at 1205 (Used to be 1605).

August_West

Reaction Score
During the summer, I care basically only about the Red Sox. Come Winter, that expands to the Celtics and Bruins. As far as the Huskies are concerned, I will use the voice command. Though I do know that the sports channels start at 1205 (Used to be 1605).

this time of year I watch a ton of college hoops and a fair amount of hockey and it is when it really pays off. Its how I keep up with Bill Walton weekly. Its how I watched zona last night. I would never start hunting through Pac12 network channels manually but as soon as the wife gives the first snore in bed, I hit the C button and ready to go.

Last night after the Zona game I left the Pac12 channel on and watched a replay of the 97 zona kentucky title game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Exactly this.

And FWIW, it's worth the extra $ to get the Fire TV rather than the Fire Stick, which is old & slow.

The new Fire Stick came out this fall and is neither old nor slow. It also has Alexa support in the remote, which I think would appeal to an elderly person.

For anyone talking about Hulu, it is pretty close to useless if you have streaming of the network channels via some other service.

Husky25

Reaction Score
this time of year I watch a ton of college hoops and a fair amount of hockey and it is when it really pays off. Its how I keep up with Bill Walton weekly. Its how I watched zona last night. I would never start hunting through Pac12 network channels manually but as soon as the wife gives the first snore in bed, I hit the C button and ready to go.

Last night after the Zona game I left the Pac12 channel on and watched a replay of the 97 zona kentucky title game.

With a 5 and nearly 2 year old, I don't have nearly that much liberty. Being between houses makes it worse. First of all, they are more often than not occupying one or both TVs prior to bedtime. Then once I fulfill my fatherly duties and get them to bed, I am lucky to be able to watch part of a DVR'ed game, even while fast forwarding through commercials. 9:00 tips are better for me to watch a live game, but there is a 72% chance I ain't making it to 11:00 on a school night.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

For you and @Husky25, The FTC and DOJ have not gone away. Refusing competing bandwidth is a sure way to get broken up. What they might do is charge appropriately. At night, Netflix is some absurd percentage of all bandwidth. All non Netflix users are subsidizing Netflix and Netflix users right now. So I think about it the same way we think about ala-cart cable. There will be flexibility to build packages. But the targets won't be you and me, it will be the high bandwidth providers like YouTube (Google). They are getting a free ride.

And remember, the cable companies are in on the streaming game too. AT&T owns direct TV. Comcast is NBC/Universal, which has a ton of streaming options, including partial ownership of Hulu.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
With a 5 and nearly 2 year old, I don't have nearly that much liberty. Being between houses makes it worse. First of all, they are more often than not occupying one or both TVs prior to bedtime. Then once I I fulfill my fatherly duties and get them to bed, I am lucky to be able to watch part of a DVR'ed game, even while fast forwarding through commercials. 9:00 tips are better for me to watch a live game, but there is a 72% chance I ain't making it to 11:00 on a school night.
This is just the beginning of losing your space in the house. It only gets worse. First we moved from the house where I had a separate outbuilding all to myself, because we needed a bigger house once we had more kids. Then I lost my "spare" bedroom in the new house when my two oldest daughters refused to share a room any more. Then I lost the living room when they co-opted my TV. I finally got my revenge by putting on an addition under the guise of a "family room" at the same time that we remodeled our kitchen, so I got a wide berth to fill it with a great TV, audio system, recliner and a separate entrance and door to block off the rest of the house, essentially making it my man cave.

August_West

Reaction Score
With a 5 and nearly 2 year old, I don't have nearly that much liberty. Being between houses makes it worse. First of all, they are more often than not occupying one or both TVs prior to bedtime. Then once I I fulfill my fatherly duties and get them to bed, I am lucky to be able to watch part of a DVR'ed game, even while fast forwarding through commercials. 9:00 tips are better for me to watch a live game, but there is a 72% chance I ain't making it to 11:00 on a school night.

Been there bro. Im out the other side now (almost) and time requirements are non existent for me on that end pretty much these days, I barely ever see her! so I can do that. And you will be able to too in 14 more years. I gotta tell you though there is a trade off. Your wallet. :)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I actually hit guide twice and then sports. Shows you everything on and you can sort by sport. If you pick movies you can scroll through everything currently on and it includes the rotten tomatoes percentages. You can see what shows are trending on twitter too.

Also when you set favorite teams it shows you the next few weeks of games. I’d never remember a UConn hockey game was on TV without it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I actually hit guide twice and then sports. Shows you everything on and you can sort by sport. If you pick movies you can scroll through everything currently on and it includes the rotten tomatoes percentages. You can see what shows are trending on twitter too.

Also when you set favorite teams it shows you the next few weeks of games. I’d never remember a UConn hockey game was on TV without it.
Which button is the movie one? I've only used the C (sports) button so far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Which button is the movie one? I've only used the C (sports) button so far.

It’s not a button. If you hit guide twice it shows you categories.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom