OT: TECH...Getting Fired Up | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: TECH...Getting Fired Up

Reaction Score
The only “throttling” that would occur would be of companies like Google and Netflix, who already have taken steps to speed their content, including paying ISPs when they didn’t have to. Nothing else even registers. At peak evening hours, Netflix and YouTube are well over 50% of all traffic by themselves.

Wait, a few posts ago you said that ISPs cannot do that:

No, they cannot. The antitrust laws and FTC act would shut that down.

But now you admit it has already happened and will occur more. Boy, and I am the uninformed one.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cool. I thought it auto posted to the BY to fire KO. I kid, I kid! :p

I don’t post to fire Ollie.

I don’t think it’s going to work out but there is no point worrying about it in December.

I also don’t think there is 10 million even if they wanted to do anything.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
That sure beats $230/month. (Triple Play).
I have Triple Play. Not at $230 yet but slightly over $200. It picks up my phone (land line) which I was paying $80 monthly. Plus my internet was $55. The rest is TV. Triple play package almost mirrors Direct TV. I also have DirectTV. However Comcast does not have nearly as much HD channels. I am paying through the butt for TV monthly. Not a smart thing. But like I said my telephone and internet included. I am probably preaching to the choir on this one. We get slammed with snow. Dish gets snow on it, over cast day, picture freezes or starts searching. Two clicks away, Comcast on board. I don't like being interrupted during a UConn or Giants game. Or Game of Thrones even.lol

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have Triple Play. Not at $230 yet but slightly over $200...Triple play package almost mirrors Direct TV. I also have DirectTV.

You pay 4 bills a month for TV?

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
They took away the ability to set the DVR away from the home network, which blows and it can't be thrown up to the big screens through Chromecast. Other than that, I like it.

What a dumb thing to remove. Basically the only time I use my mobile device to set a recording (for my directv) is when I am away from the home network. Thats the major benefit. I don't get the choices people make sometimes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have Triple Play. Not at $230 yet but slightly over $200. It picks up my phone (land line) which I was paying $80 monthly. Plus my internet was $55. The rest is TV. Triple play package almost mirrors Direct TV. I also have DirectTV. However Comcast does not have nearly as much HD channels. I am paying through the butt for TV monthly. Not a smart thing. But like I said my telephone and internet included. I am probably preaching to the choir on this one. We get slammed with snow. Dish gets snow on it, over cast day, picture freezes or starts searching. Two clicks away, Comcast on board. I don't like being interrupted during a UConn or Giants game. Or Game of Thrones even.lol
Look at your bill...there is like $60+ in just fees and tax!! I mean, why bill people each month for having a box that delivers your product?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thanks for clicking.

Amazon Fire TV questions coming:

My moms will be in an elderly affordable apartment soon and to cut bills my niece will get her a Fire Stick.

Since I want to ditch Comcast, too, I am looking at the Fire TV. I am kinda clueless about this area. I know I will need a digital antenna for local station. No issues here.

But how will I know if I will get MLB Network and Animal Planet and Nat Geo Wild?

Please enlighten.

And will Kodi be needed for Fire TV? I know it will help Fire Stick people.

Simple Trick Installs Kodi & XBMC To your Amazon Firestick for Free Cable TV - Hack My AppleTV

If you put Kodi on a FireStick, you’re basically opening a doorway into your network and you don’t enough about it to keep yourself safe. That’s the problem with trying to steal stuff; there’s usually a downside.

And if you give an elderly woman a FireStick and cancel her cable, she will sit around all day staring at a blank screen because she can’t figure out how to operative this contraption her kids forced on her.

The poor woman raised you. She has suffered enough.

Let her have cable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What brings a person to carry water for these rotten corporations?

Husky25

Reaction Score
What a dumb thing to remove. Basically the only time I use my mobile device to set a recording (for my directv) is when I am away from the home network. Thats the major benefit. I don't get the choices people make sometimes.
Indicated it was a legal thing.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If you put Kodi on a FireStick, you’re basically opening a doorway into your network and you don’t enough about it to keep yourself safe. That’s the problem with trying to steal stuff; there’s usually a downside.

And if you give an elderly woman a FireStick and cancel her cable, she will sit around all day staring at a blank screen because she can’t figure out how to operative this contraption her kids forced on her.

The poor woman raised you. She has suffered enough.

Let her have cable.
This is my niece doing it. And when I laughed, hemmed and hawed because moms is easily confused I became...once again...a doosh.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is my niece doing it. And when I laughed, hemmed and hawed because moms is easily confused I became...once again...a doosh.

We got my mother a new HDR television last year - the remote was slightly more complex than the one she had previously.

Two days after Christmas, she sent us all an email accusing us of ruining her life.

Just don’t do it.

Husky25

Reaction Score

If your grandmother is anything like mine and you are really angling for coal in your stocking, put FOXNews behind the child-lock code.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Saying that X1 is a good product is carrying water for a rotten corporation?

It’s a good product. You might not like the price but it’s awesome.
FWIW, I was talking anti-net neutrality people. To be honest, I don't know what X1 is and don't feel like researching right now.

Reaction Score
Im just relieved looking through some of these posts most of you arent idiots like HuskyHawks seems to be as he clearly has no idea wtf hes talking about. I feel bad for people paying over 200 bucks a month for cable/internet/phone because thats just crazy! I was paying 215 a month for just cable/internet so i couldnt get one of those package deals as i have zero interest in a landline in my house. I got tired of being jerked by the shady Cox balloon knots and dropped cable and kept my internet. Every time my bill went up they kept telling that some promotion i had had expired. This was absolutel bs! as i had no promotions or special offers of any kind.
I have a Roku with PsVue which has way more channels and altogether im paying 60 bucks less for it. Now i wonder how long these live streaming tv services are going to last if these scumbag cable companies get their way and net neutrality is killed off.

Reaction Score
No, they cannot. The antitrust laws and FTC act would shut that down. And the risk is huge, because these companies have spent a ton of effort integrating vertically, and the likely response to a move like that would be to break them up, so that no Internet provider was also a content provider.

People have short memories. Remember the massive phone bills with landlines in the 80s? Then deregulation and people thought it would be terrible. They were forced to compete and it drove innovation. Now a home phone with unlimited long distance is like $20. Competition among ISPs isn’t strong enough right now, but the research is on on high speed wireless internet to the home. They aren’t even running wires to rural America anymore. It’s coming, and then competition with be intense.
The changes being made allow isps to change traffic flow. Used to be an algorithm that essentially favored no one. Now it can be changed to do whatever the money wants. Congrats, you just broke the internet.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Im just relieved looking through some of these posts most of you arent idiots like HuskyHawks seems to be as he clearly has no idea wtf hes talking about. I feel bad for people paying over 200 bucks a month for cable/internet/phone because thats just crazy! I was paying 215 a month for just cable/internet so i couldnt get one of those package deals as i have zero interest in a landline in my house. I got tired of being jerked by the shady Cox and dropped cable and kept my internet. Every time my bill went up they kept telling that some promotion i had had expired. This was absolutel bs! as i had no promotions or special offers of any kind.
I have a Roku with PsVue which has way more channels and altogether im paying 60 bucks less for it. Now i wonder how long these live streaming tv services are going to last if these scumbag cable companies get their way and net neutrality is killed off.

Oh, I'm an idiot now. Fortunately your opinion on that is meaningless since you are obviously an idiot and a lemming incapable of independent thought. The talking points about Net Neutrality being thrown around aren't even based on a realistic view of how the internet works. Wired did a nice write up on this.

"The net neutrality debate is based on a mental model of the internet that hasn’t been accurate for more than a decade. We tend to think of the internet as a massive public network that everyone connects to in exactly the same way. We envision data traveling from Google and Yahoo and Uber and every other online company into a massive internet backbone, before moving to a vast array of ISPs that then shuttle it into our homes. That could be a neutral network, but it’s not today’s internet. It couldn’t be. Too much of the traffic is now coming from just a handful of companies."
It is imperative that we increase competition among ISPs. I absolutely agree with that. Competition will drive innovation, decrease prices and ensure that the type of inappropriate throttling people worry about doesn't occur. Much of the problem on the competition side is because local cities and towns negotiated exclusive deals. That needs to end, and the feds should bar that practice. Very fast wireless is coming as well, and that will change the model for ISPs. The problem with Net Neutrality, and treating ISPs as a utility, is that the cost of being a highly regulated utility is the end of competition, and usually the end of innovation.

I pay over $200, including land line. But three HD boxes don't help. Yet I recall in the 1980's it was easy to have just a phone bill be over $200, because we all paid for long distance. So what I now get for that $200 is a lot more than it was then.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Im starting to think you might be Ajit Pai himself with all the bs youre spewing.

Did you read the Wired article? Did you find it to be BS? It's not worth arguing anymore. Believe whatever you want.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom