OT: TECH...Getting Fired Up | The Boneyard

OT: TECH...Getting Fired Up

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks for clicking.

Amazon Fire TV questions coming:

My moms will be in an elderly affordable apartment soon and to cut bills my niece will get her a Fire Stick.

Since I want to ditch Comcast, too, I am looking at the Fire TV. I am kinda clueless about this area. I know I will need a digital antenna for local station. No issues here.

But how will I know if I will get MLB Network and Animal Planet and Nat Geo Wild?

Please enlighten.

And will Kodi be needed for Fire TV? I know it will help Fire Stick people.

Simple Trick Installs Kodi & XBMC To your Amazon Firestick for Free Cable TV - Hack My AppleTV

Reaction Score
Thanks for that link... I've had the Fire Stick for quite a while but have been hesitant to jailbreak it. That link lays it out pretty easy so I think I'll give it a go.

As far as your other questions, I've been using Playstation Vue and its pretty sweet. You have to check their packages if that is the route you would like to go. I definitely get MLB...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks for that link... I've had the Fire Stick for quite a while but have been hesitant to jailbreak it. That link lays it out pretty easy so I think I'll give it a go.

As far as your other questions, I've been using Playstation Vue and its pretty sweet. You have to check their packages if that is the route you would like to go. I definitely get MLB...
"Their" being Amazon? I don't know where to start looking for that detailed info.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nothing more overrated than Kodi.

You’ll need to figure out which TV package you want to buy.

Vue, YouTubeTV, DirectTv - there must be like 8 of them now. All with different price points and combos.

Vue seems the best to me but that’s based off general feedback - I’ve never used it. You can cancel anytime so the most you’d be out is one month if they don’t have a trial.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Nothing more overrated than Kodi.

You’ll need to figure out which TV package you want to buy.

Vue, YouTubeTV, DirectTv - there must be like 8 of them now. All with different price points and combos.

Vue seems the best to me but that’s based off general feedback - I’ve never used it. You can cancel anytime so the most you’d be out is one month if they don’t have a trial.
@whaler11 so these packages are ones I go online to each of their sites and purchase. Like I did with Netflix and Hulu?

Does Fire TV come with a pamphlet with recommendations?

Reaction Score
And it looks like if you needed Nat Geo Wild and MLB, you'd need the Elite Package... $54.99/month

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
@whaler11 so these packages are ones I go online to each of their sites and purchase. Like I did with Netflix and Hulu?
Think of these packages like you're choosing between different cable providers. "Do i want dish, satellite, time warned or DIRECTV" is basically the same question as "do I want Vue, YoutubeTV or Sling?"

Netflix & Hulu are more like "do I want HBO? Showtime?"
Not really, but it's all very easily navigable. I'm a Luddite and was able to easily figure it all out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Probably fastest to download their app to your Fire and then signup through that interface. Most have a week or two week free trial.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Probably fastest to download their app to your Fire and then signup through that interface. Most have a week or two week free trial.
So, when Fire is running on the TV there are prompts to download apps?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, when Fire is running on the TV there are prompts to download apps?

Yeah it’s got a whole interface where you can search for games and apps. It comes with a few dozen of the popular ones like Netflix already set up.

It’s like using a smart phone. You start at a screen where you see all your apps and just go in and out of them.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That sure beats $230/month. (Triple Play).

You keeping phone and internet ? Let me know what that runs you

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
It’s like using a smart phone. You start at a screen where you see all your apps and just go in and out of them.
Exactly this.

And FWIW, it's worth the extra $ to get the Fire TV rather than the Fire Stick, which is old & slow.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You keeping phone and internet ? Let me know what that runs you
I am thinking of ditching those, too. But Mrs. Dove may want that land line.

I will look into non-Comcast Internet options. Any ideas?

August_West

Reaction Score

depends on your address. You may have one more choice besides comcast (frontier) you may have none.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Tell her to get a job.

Reaction Score

Where we are, the Double-Play is actually cheaper than an Internet only option. I have a land-line but truth be told, I don't even know what the phone number is.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not be a Debbie Downer, but I'm really interested in how the end of Net Neutrality affects cord-cutting options.

Reaction Score
Decent internet at Comcast is about $80/mo alone so working a deal with them where the price holds for 24 mo is not bad. That way you don't have to switch to antennae for local. Some areas have bad reception for 1 or more local channels.

August_West

Reaction Score
Frontier internet sucks outloud.

yes it does. at consumer level.

I get 50 MB/50MB Fiber at work, and Im actually purchasing through ATT but Frontier owns last mile of all runs in state. Its a screamer. But dealing with them is also a nightmare of epic proportions. Frontier can blow me.

And here is the thing with cord cutting. I want to do it so bad. I work in tech, if anyone should be ahead of these curves its me. But every time I do my due diligence to estimate costs of cutting cord and replacing what I currently have I have never once in the last 3 years come up with more than 10 bucks a month savings. Could I save more? Sure. By giving up some services I currently have. Which is another discussion. But every time I go apples to apples the savings just isnt there for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom