Team with this many transfers | The Boneyard

Team with this many transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have we ever had a team where 3 potential starters didn't begin their careers with UConn, I can't even think of a time when we've had 2. I'm not complaining just think it's interesting.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Chemistry will be key, we got the talent, but team cohesiveness will either make or break the season. Still unsure who will step up and be the unquestioned leader this year (like Kemba, Bazz, Boat) I'm guessing Purvis? No matter who it is, at UConn, we fortunately have the luxury of leaning on KO who is a great leader of men.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Chemistry will be key, we got the talent, but team cohesiveness will either make or break the season. Still unsure who will step up and be the unquestioned leader this year (like Kemba, Bazz, Boat) I'm guessing Purvis? No matter who it is, at UConn, we fortunately have the luxury of leaning on KO who is a great leader of men.

I think you raise the big question for the upcoming season: who will be the leader of the team? I think this was a big part of the problem with the 2012 team. Where the Husky roster is at now, I would say it needs to be Gibbs. Can a relative stranger come in and be the leader? As you say, who better than KO to help them to come together and play for the team?

Reaction Score
Was just thinking this about leadership. Brimah was a captain last year, so I'm assuming he will be the glue to keep the team together.He's gotta take his game to the next level, too (especially staying on the court).

Reaction Score
I think you raise the big question for the upcoming season: who will be the leader of the team? I think this was a big part of the problem with the 2012 team. Where the Husky roster is at now, I would say it needs to be Gibbs. Can a relative stranger come in and be the leader? As you say, who better than KO to help them to come together and play for the team?
I think a relative stranger can step up and be the leader. Will Gibbs do it is another question. I, like everyone else here, really hope so.

The example I will provide is Khalid El-Amin. As a freshman he came in and kind of took over and provided the leadership that very talented team needed. His second season changed everything in terms of UConn men's basketball history. I still think that was our best team ever.

Reaction Score
New shot clock, many new players, the early season could be bumpy but we have seen that before. The early season tourney could accelerate the process. Good timing there.

Reaction Score
Nadav came in for a year and was a self-less leader. But, he was a breed apart.

I see Gibbs as the on-floor leader. DHam is a our star and the guy who takes and wants the last shot.

Reaction Score
Not too worried about the chemistry like a lot of people on here. Gibbs and Miller are fifth-year seniors who know this is their last shot, not a couple of one-and-dones looking for an NBA tryout. I expect them to fit in seamlessly like Kromah was able to.

Reaction Score
Not too worried about the chemistry like a lot of people on here. Gibbs and Miller are fifth-year seniors who know this is their last shot, not a couple of one-and-dones looking for an NBA tryout. I expect them to fit in seamlessly like Kromah was able to.

Agreed, "senior leadership" will take care of itself. It will be interesting to see who Ollie names as captains. Brimah was a captain last year so I assume he keeps it as the incumbent and maybe Purvis because he's a little more vocal than Hamilton?

Reaction Score
Purvis seems the no-brainer choice for captain. He's assertive, he's vocal, he loves the school and program, and his influence was instrumental in bringing in Miller and Gibbs. Given the number of new players on next year's roster, it's his responsibility to make sure the guys are together playing pickup at least a couple of days per week starting this summer. I think a team led by Purvis is going to be in good shape just because of what a high-character, charismatic guy he is.

Reaction Score
I disagree with the Purvis as captain... if he's a co-captain then yes... Phil Nolan's the elder statesmen on the squad... He should be one of the leaders. He can aid in providing intangible leadership on the court as well as on the bench.. Keep us loose... Continue with the photobombs... seemed to work well with our championship run in '14

Reaction Score

I see Gibbs as the on-floor leader. DHam is a our star and the guy who takes and wants the last shot.
I want Gibbs taking the last shot, kid has already proven to be very clutch.

Reaction Score
I disagree with the Purvis as captain... if he's a co-captain then yes... Phil Nolan's the elder statesmen on the squad... He should be one of the leaders. He can aid in providing intangible leadership on the court as well as on the bench.. Keep us loose... Continue with the photobombs... seemed to work well with our championship run in '14

Nolan has shown neither the personality nor the basketball ability to be a leader. The captain should be a player that the other players look up to, and Nolan may struggle to get rotation minutes this season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

DHam being the "last shot" guy would be huge as he's potentially the most athletic guy on the court, but I don't think it will happen this year. Maybe next year, assuming he's still here.

I think it end up being Purvis frequently but Gibbs will end up taking the last shot against better defensive team...just a hunch. I think Ollie has options this year and more often than not, match ups and the hot hand will decide the last shot. That will make us very difficult to guard.

Reaction Score
Nolan has shown neither the personality nor the basketball ability to be a leader. The captain should be a player that the other players look up to, and Nolan may struggle to get rotation minutes this season.

We really have no idea if the players look up to Nolan or not. Donnell Beverly didn't play more than 9 minutes a game his senior year and he was a captain. Rotation minutes isn't a pre-requisite for being a captain all the time.

Reaction Score
I agree that team chemistry is the only question mark. I think Ollie did a great job filling the holes this team had by getting Gibbs and Miller. Probably about as good a job as could possibly have been done since I think those 2 fill needs, are really talented, and are experienced 5th year guys.

Now the question is will the team gel and if it does how long might it take? Typically very good teams at UConn have had most of the players in key roles who had played at least a season together. Yes, there have been some exceptions like with Khalid. You're now inserting Gibbs and Miller, who were both their teams best players and used to taking a lot of shots, into another very talented team. How will the dynamic work? Will everyone be able to adapt and play the roles needed?

Someone asked on here recently if the team was eligible for a foreign tour this summer. If there ever was a time to do that it would be this summer. I think the team would benefit tremendously by having real practices and games with a new team. It could accelerate the gelling process.

I like the talent and experience on the team. A lot. Now the question is how the chemistry gets developed and how long will it take for the team to really gel. If they do we could have a special team on our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom