Team was better than 19-12 | The Boneyard

Team was better than 19-12

Reaction Score
You can’t go back and change things
But this team was better than their record and potentially with no injuries perhaps an elite team

I think many people knew what we had it Bouknight
We stayed with Gilbert
We had no idea Whaley was this good— way way better than Akok( who would’ve been a good back up c/pf)

here’s the way I see it

c carlton
F Whaley
Bouknight
Vital
Gaffney
—————-
Akok
Polley
Adams
Gilbert
————
S Wilson

things pan out
26-5

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"You are what your record says you are."

19-12 is what it is. It's the 8-2 finish with the 2 being road losses by 4 points that's what's important and why the feeling about this team is so much better than it was in January. This team really did stink for most of January. And St. Joe's was inexcusable. But the coachable guys got coached up and we've seen the future.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I’m glad the season went the way it did. Because if we were good enough for an at-large bid and the tournament got canceled I would be an absolute mess lol.

Reaction Score
"You are what your record says you are."

19-12 is what it is. It's the 8-2 finish with the 2 being road losses by 4 points that's what's important and why the feeling about this team is so much better than it was in January. This team really did stink for most of January. And St. Joe's was inexcusable. But the coachable guys got coached up and we've seen the future.
I always said the only games I wish we could turn around without being too greedy would be the St Joe’s loss, which was inexcusable, and the Indiana loss. That would have put us at 21-10. I know we lost all those close OT games, but sometimes that is just a toss up. Next year, I hope we have better luck and those kind of games are wins.

Reaction Score
You can’t go back and change things
But this team was better than their record and potentially with no injuries perhaps an elite team

I think many people knew what we had it Bouknight
We stayed with Gilbert
We had no idea Whaley was this good— way way better than Akok( who would’ve been a good back up c/pf)

here’s the way I see it

c carlton
F Whaley
Bouknight
Vital
Gaffney
—————-
Akok
Polley
Adams
Gilbert
————
S Wilson

things pan out
26-5
Scrappy, don't ever change. Either way, we were definitely winning the AAC tournament and at least going to the final four.

Reaction Score
An open 3-pointer here or there, a key 1 and 1, one or two fewer turnovers, one less ref's whistle, one or two fewer desperation 3-point heaves by an opponent -- and, yes, you can easily book another half-dozen wins, This was a 25-6 team with a 19-12 record. I have been through 67 seasons as an active fan, and there has never been a season more relentlessly frustrating. For me, the toughest losses were the last two -- to SMU and Temple -- because they came after the team had rallied itself, found its true identity and earned itself a break from Lady Luck. Despite everything, I don't think there's a UConn team I will remember with more fondness or with greater personal affection for the individual players and their coach -- distant though it is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
An open 3-pointer here or here, a key 1 and 1, one or two fewer turnovers, one less ref's whistle, one or two fewer desperation 3-point heaves by an opponent -- and, yes, you can easily book another half-dozen wins, This was a 25-6 team with a 19-12 record. I have been through 67 seasons as an active fan, and there has never been a season more relentlessly frustrating. For me, the toughest losses were the last two -- to SMU and Temple -- because they came after the team had rallied itself, found its true identity and earned itself a break from Lady Luck. Despite everything, I don't think there's a UConn team I will remember with more fondness or with greater personal affection for the individual players and their coach -- distant though it is.

The loss to George Mason will always represent the most frustrating season for me. I know it was one game, but that team should/could have won a Natty and we would have 5 right now. My blood pressure just doubles writing this.

Reaction Score
The loss to George Mason will always represent the most frustrating season for me. I know it was one game, but that team should/could have won a Natty and we would have 5 right now. My blood pressure just doubles writing this.
I bet if you ask Jim Calhoun what loss still bothers him the most from his 26 years at UConn, George Mason is probably the one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You are what your record says you are. 19-12 is slightly better than winning 2/3 of your games. For the season there was about 1/3 of the games where UConn couldn't win. Some were due to lineups based on health/availability, some were based on the staff still figuring out lineups.

If the premise is if the UConn team which finished the season would have played the whole season together, then they would have done better than 19-12?? I could agree with that. There were very few games UConn "stole" this year and definitely more than a few where UConn could have won but lost.

Put a corona virus positive person a foot from my face ready to sneeze if I'm wrong and I'd say this team could have won 22-23 games if the season were to be replayed starting today.

Reaction Score
Scrappy you truly underestimated our Huskies. We were better than 26-5, in my opinion, we were 31-0 and going to win the national championship

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I do not know about 26 wins, but I think if the ball bounced our way a few more times throughout the season we would have been somewhere in the 20-22 win range at best.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You are what your record says you are. 19-12 is slightly better than winning 2/3 of your games. For the season there was about 1/3 of the games where UConn couldn't win. Some were due to lineups based on health/availability, some were based on the staff still figuring out lineups.

If the premise is if the UConn team which finished the season would have played the whole season together, then they would have done better than 19-12?? I could agree with that. There were very few games UConn "stole" this year and definitely more than a few where UConn could have won but lost.

Put a corona virus positive person a foot from my face ready to sneeze if I'm wrong and I'd say this team could have won 22-23 games if the season were to be replayed starting today.
For the record, 19-12 is a little better than 61%, not 66%. In general you are what your record says you are, but without much of a stretch you could see them beating St Joes, getting the wins vs Xavier and Temple without those ridiculous 3s. That’s 22-9.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Without those injuries (as callous as it may sound) the record, IMO, would not have been as good as it ended up being.
There was absolutely no reason to think that Whaley would have sniffed the court unless it meant some isolated minutes and if Polley didn't go down would Bouk have had the opportunities that was afforded him?

Reaction Score

Without those injuries (as callous as it may sound) the record, IMO, would not have been as good as it ended up being.
There was absolutely no reason to think that Whaley would have sniffed the court unless it meant some isolated minutes and if Polley didn't go down would Bouk have had the opportunities that was afforded him?
This is why it's tough to play the woulda/coulda/shoulda with this season. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, mostly because we now know what we have with two guys that will be key cogs next season, and we learned how to win games we were losing earlier in the season. Also, the team came together through incredible adversity, Hurley's philosophy has been validated, and his coaching abilities have shown through. If there is a next season, can't wait for it!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Our record could have been better, yes. 26 wins is a bit generous though. And we were trending up, yes. The recency bias has us thinking we are better than our record would indicate.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
It was the injuries that cost us games , not the line ups.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom