Team USA vs | The Boneyard

Team USA vs

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum playing with a lot of confidence and energy very nice to see. Nneka deserves a spot on the team no doubt. Dee and Sue might not make roster younger guards don’t have the experience or BB IQ those 2 do but not sure there bodies can play at that Olympic level anymore...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Plum barely got on the floor during the exhibitions against college teams. Glad to hear she's playing well.

W/ several players missing a game or 2, overall Nneka was easily the best player during the 4 exhibition games. If she doesn't finally make the Olympic team this time, it would be a shame.

Reaction Score
USA beat Argentina 91-34 Saturday. The host country fans gave DT a rousing homecoming welcome (her parents emigrated from Argentina, and she lived there for a year when she was 13), and gave her a personalized Argentina jersey.

Next up Colombia Sunday 4:30 EST

1573967941642.png

Reaction Score
That player next to DT looks like she could be a relative. And did you get a look at how long her arms are in relation to her body. Her arms are as long as the guys in the blue shirt. Most of the time a person's arm length sort of mirrors the length of their legs. I appears that this person's arms are even longer than her legs.

Reaction Score
USA beats Colombia 104-48.

A'ja 23/9 rbs, Diamond 17/9 rbs, Arike 17 points, Skylar 9 assists, Plum 10/5 assists, Sue out with back spasms.

Team will break for 2 months, reconvene in Hartford ahead of their UConn (1/27) & Louisville (2/2) exhibitions and the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments Feb 6-9. Draw for the tournaments is 11/27, to determine groups and locations (Belgium, China, France & Serbia).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum playing with a lot of confidence and energy very nice to see. Nneka deserves a spot on the team no doubt. Dee and Sue might not make roster younger guards don’t have the experience or BB IQ those 2 do but not sure there bodies can play at that Olympic level anymore...

I think they'll be there regardless if they're the best guards or not. I can't imagine either getting turned down if they're wanting to play. Plus, it isn't like there is a flood of young talented guards in contention for their spots.

Reaction Score
Mentorship is one of the biggest BS reasons for keeping declining players on rosters. Might be true if you are dealing with a team of rookies. In this case they have a pool of players who have been playing the game for quite a long time. As to the value of BBIQ, it is similar to other aspects of the game. It is a matter or tradeoff, often decided by need. In the older players cases, it is about trade off. Is there really a need for their experience as opposed to the defensive liability the present? Logically I would say no. There are plenty of USA Olympic newbies who possess not only comparable BBIQ's but are not exactly without experience., having been on championship teams both in the WNBA and Euroleague.

The question should be- What does a player actually add to the strength of the team. It should be based on merit, not on sentiment. It is a privilege to play on the National Team, not an entitlement. As it is a national team, it should be open to every player on an equal basis. I might see keeping one of the oldsters as a pure shooter. They can still do that when they get hot. Other than that they do not really add much else to the team to counter their defensive liabilities. You can not carry two defensive liabilities with an equal skillset on the team.

Augustas really adds very little and his spot can and should be easily replaceable by any number of younger players.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Mentorship is one of the biggest BS reasons for keeping declining players on rosters. Might be true if you are dealing with a team of rookies. In this case they have a pool of players who have been playing the game for quite a long time. As to the value of BBQ, it is similar to other aspects of the game. It is a matter or tradeoff, often decided by need. In the older players cases, it is about trade off. Is there really a need for their experience as opposed to the defensive liability the present? Logically I would say no. There are plenty of USA Olympic newbies who possess not only comparable BBQ's but are not exactly without experience., having been on championship teams both in the WNBA and Euroleague.

The question should be- What does a player actually add to the strength of the team. It should be based on merit, not on sentiment. It is a privilege to play on the National Team, not an entitlement. As it is a national team, it should be open to every player on an equal basis. I might see keeping one of the oldsters as a pure shooter. They can still do that when they get hot. Other than that they do not really add much else to the team to counter their defensive liabilities. You can not carry two defensive liabilities with an equal skillset on the team.

Augustas really adds very little and his spot can and should be easily replaceable by any number of younger players.

Doesnt work like that. Politics are a major factor when picking a team. Especially when you're the USA with an overwhelming amount of talent, to the point where your B and C team would likely get silver and bronze.

Reaction Score
Doesnt work like that. Politics are a major factor when picking a team. Especially when you're the USA with an overwhelming amount of talent, to the point where your B and C team would likely get silver and bronze.
I am well aware that it doesn't actually work like that, but it should.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Sabrina, Arike, Diamond? Sloot would be the best possible PG for USA right now if she had ever been given a chance.

The idea of there being no successors to the old guard is self-fulfilling.

I think all 3 would be great players to bring on, but DT/Bird as of last year were still elite and likely will get roster spots if they'd like regardless if they're at the top of their game or not. Sort of like Catchings in 2016. Agree about Sloot. It's a shame they didn't bring her into the mix when she was younger.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think all 3 would be great players to bring on, but DT/Bird as of last year were still elite and likely will get roster spots if they'd like regardless if they're at the top of their game or not. Sort of like Catchings in 2016. Agree about Sloot. It's a shame they didn't bring her into the mix when she was younger.

I've been burned before in thinking Sue didn't have it anymore. I am never going to count either of them out (I will count out Augustus, though). But I want to see them play well before the team is picked. DT wasn't good in her WNBA games this season either.

I hear ya though - they are going if they want to.

But I do think there is young talent ready to come into USAB - moreso than there was 2 or 4 years ago.

By the way, I'm not sure if McBride has given up on USAB but she's another that would be perfect for it.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I've been burned before in thinking Sue didn't have it anymore. I am never going to count either of them out (I will count out Augustus, though). But I want to see them play well before the team is picked. DT wasn't good in her WNBA games this season either.

But I do think there is young talent ready to come into USAB - moreso than there was 2 or 4 years ago.

By the way, I'm not sure if McBride has given up on USAB but she's another that would be perfect for it.

Agreed. Hard to judge DT based off of this year since she was never fully healthy. Year prior she was absolutely dynamite.

Backcourt should look incredibly different this time around. Last time they had DT, Moore, Bird, Angel, Catchings, Whalen and Augustus. Realistically only (maybe) Bird and DT will be reselected from that crop. I could see the ND trio (Diggins-Smith, AO, McBride) all making it, and others like Gray, DeShields and Sabrina should be strongly considered.

Frontcourt should look more familiar, but I think only EDD/Griner will be locks at this point. Stewart's health is up in the air and Fowles/Charles appear to be on the decline.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Hard to judge DT based off of this year since she was never fully healthy. Year prior she was absolutely dynamite.

Backcourt should look incredibly different this time around. Last time they had DT, Moore, Bird, Angel, Catchings, Whalen and Augustus. Realistically only (maybe) Bird and DT will be reselected from that crop. I could see the ND trio (Diggins-Smith, AO, McBride) all making it, and others like Gray, DeShields and Sabrina should be strongly considered.

Frontcourt should look more familiar, but I think only EDD/Griner will be locks at this point. Stewart's health is up in the air and Fowles/Charles appear to be on the decline.
I take it you haven't been watching the games they have been playing have you.

Reaction Score
I've regularly posted how I felt the national team in 2016 should have brought in a young guard to groom, thinking it would be the last cycle for Bird, DT, Augustus and Whalen. We saw on that team that Catch was not used but she was making the team if she wanted to go based on her contributions to the national team over all the years. Sloot should likely have been given an opportunity but unfortunately was not. I do believe we could pick another dozen players who just miss the cut or aren't in the pool and still likely medal.

We know Whalen won't be back and it's debatable if Augustus and McCoughtry will be, but if Bird and DT are healthy and want to play they will be there. I was skeptical they still had "it" but the 16 Olympics and 18 World Cup performances eliminated any doubts.

Health will always be a factor and this is my team if everyone is healthy and wants to play, likely not all of them will. Not I won't say who the starters should be and this list is in no particular order.

Griner
Delle Done
Stewart
Charles
Fowles
Nkea
Moore (no idea what she will have going on but I wouldn't leave her off if she wanted to play)
Bird
Tauraisi
Diggins-Smith
Ionescu (yes she isn't in the pool right now but I would take her in a minute if possible)
Gray

Alternates
Plum (if Ionescu doesn't enter the pool)
Wilson (if health is a factor for any of the front court players)
Collier (if Moore elects not to play I would give her the spot as a small forward)

Reaction Score
I've regularly posted how I felt the national team in 2016 should have brought in a young guard to groom, thinking it would be the last cycle for Bird, DT, Augustus and Whalen. We saw on that team that Catch was not used but she was making the team if she wanted to go based on her contributions to the national team over all the years. Sloot should likely have been given an opportunity but unfortunately was not. I do believe we could pick another dozen players who just miss the cut or aren't in the pool and still likely medal.

We know Whalen won't be back and it's debatable if Augustus and McCoughtry will be, but if Bird and DT are healthy and want to play they will be there. I was skeptical they still had "it" but the 16 Olympics and 18 World Cup performances eliminated any doubts.

Health will always be a factor and this is my team if everyone is healthy and wants to play, likely not all of them will. Not I won't say who the starters should be and this list is in no particular order.

Griner
Delle Done
Stewart
Charles
Fowles
Nkea
Moore (no idea what she will have going on but I wouldn't leave her off if she wanted to play)
Bird
Tauraisi
Diggins-Smith
Ionescu (yes she isn't in the pool right now but I would take her in a minute if possible)
Gray

Alternates
Plum (if Ionescu doesn't enter the pool)
Wilson (if health is a factor for any of the front court players)
Collier (if Moore elects not to play I would give her the spot as a small forward)
Pretty good list, but Dawn is coach and Wilson will be on that team some how, some way. IMO the only question is instead of who: Charles? Fowles? Bird or Taurasi health? Moore doesn't play?

Reaction Score
Pretty good list, but Dawn is coach and Wilson will be on that team some how, some way. IMO the only question is instead of who: Charles? Fowles? Bird or Taurasi health? Moore doesn't play?
Touche. You are correct. It will be interesting. I would put Collier in if Moore is out since none of the front court players are small forwards, although EDD can shoot outside extremely well. McCoughtry, Augustus and Catchings were all capable "3" players and I'm not sure the two still active will be back, which creates a log jam at the 4. I love Wilson's game and think she's one of the best but I wouldn't put here ahead of a healthy Stewart, EDD, or Charles at the 4. But you are right, she likely makes it.

Reaction Score
Also....
The current pool contains Arike and Diamond. Personally I like the games of Loyd and McBride much better than either of those ladies but they aren't bad players at all. I know they have a lot of detractors on the board and I agree with many of the less than complimentary remarks. However, it's clear watching they are both talented and are capable of making terrific plays even if they don't always make smart ones. If I were the coach I wouldn't put them above some of of the other options but I am a believer that players can, and sometimes do, change their attitudes.

Reaction Score
Wilson has led the team in points in the majority of games she has played in this exhibition season. She also played on the World Title Team. With her skills and ability to lead the next wave of Olympic Teams because of her obvious youth, she should make this team. Not because she is one of Dawn's former players. I think that would be insulting her obvious worth and ability. She also is able to play multiple positions which gives the team diversity if foul trouble were to occur.

Reaction Score
Also....
The current pool contains Arike and Diamond. Personally I like the games of Loyd and McBride much better than either of those ladies but they aren't bad players at all. I know they have a lot of detractors on the board and I agree with many of the less than complimentary remarks. However, it's clear watching they are both talented and are capable of making terrific plays even if they don't always make smart ones. If I were the coach I wouldn't put them above some of of the other options but I am a believer that players can, and sometimes do, change their attitudes.
I like the addition of Arike and DD. After that loss to Oregon, they needed some offensively gifted guards to see how they meshed. Plus those two can defend at a higher level than the old guards. I think USA needs to ditch Augustus. She had her moments. I would like one of Arike or DD to make the team. I think both of them are more consistent than Loyd. They are big scorers, but have shown the ability to be playmakers for their team. Is everyone forgetting Arike's highlight passing for that USA team that ONO was on?

Diggins-Smith will make the team because she can pressure the ball, which is something the other guards cannot do. Of course, she does a lot of other good things as well.

Reaction Score

Not only that, but Wilson is part of the winter practice team giving her, Fowles, and Ogwumike the best opportunity to make the team. Team USA @ Oregon St - 11/04/19

Reaction Score
Wilson has led the team in points in the majority of games she has played in this exhibition season. She also played on the World Title Team. With her skills and ability to lead the next wave of Olympic Teams because of her obvious youth, she should make this team. Not because she is one of Dawn's former players. I think that would be insulting her obvious worth and ability. She also is able to play multiple positions which gives the team diversity if foul trouble were to occur.
I agree with you that she's a phenomenal talent. She's more than capable of being on the team. Just out of curiosity, which of the front court players I listed would you put her in place of? It's fully possible the ones I listed aren't healthy. Right now USA has no Stewart, EDD or Griner. I have a feeling all three will be on the team if they are able. I just wonder where that would leave Wilson. Maybe they all make it and maybe they should.
The US pool has a bevy of talented forwards to choose from.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

DT was coming off back surgery. Probably should not have played but she did. I can't imagine Diggins would have looked too good either had she tried to play after giving birth.

McBride might want to try playing for USA BB before expecting to make an Olympic team.

Reaction Score
Stewart is at the gravity treadmill phase of her recovery.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Mentorship is one of the biggest BS reasons for keeping declining players on rosters. Might be true if you are dealing with a team of rookies. In this case they have a pool of players who have been playing the game for quite a long time. As to the value of BBQ, it is similar to other aspects of the game. It is a matter or tradeoff, often decided by need. In the older players cases, it is about trade off. Is there really a need for their experience as opposed to the defensive liability the present? Logically I would say no. There are plenty of USA Olympic newbies who possess not only comparable BBQ's but are not exactly without experience., having been on championship teams both in the WNBA and Euroleague.

Use BBI not BBQ. Don't care about the Quotient, rather the Intelligence. If you're too lazy to write out BBIQ, shorten it to BBI, not BBQ. Makes no sense. ( :cool: ;) :rolleyes: :mad::oops:Head bang, use whichever one fits)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom