Team most likely to have undefeated season | The Boneyard

Team most likely to have undefeated season

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had mentioned this earlier on the MD/SC. It will be interesting.

Looking at their powder puff schedule, I think MD goes undefeated in the reg season :eek:

Reaction Score
My vote based on what I have seen today plus the team’s future schedule - Maryland.
Regular season or all games undefeated? There have only been ten undefeated seasons in history and half of those are from UConn.

Reaction Score
Regular season or all games undefeated? There have only been ten undefeated seasons in history and half of those are from UConn.
Regular season, I believe post season is wide open as to actual finalist as of today.

Reaction Score
I really don’t like having an undefeated regular season, although I can’t recall MD having one before. I just don’t think it prepares you for the tourneys, it causes over confidence. I do agree with you though that it certainly could happen this year for MD.

The biggest problem is the OOC schedule, MD needs to increase it strength of schedule to include more top 15 teams before conference play to better prepare them for meeting these teams during the tourneys. The Big Ten does not provide that experience except for Iowa this year. A lot of our fans have been critical of our OOC schedule. We’re hoping this will change next year with all the talent coming in and the development of the current team.

Reaction Score
I really don’t like having an undefeated regular season, although I can’t recall MD having one before. I just don’t think it prepares you for the tourneys, it causes over confidence. I do agree with you though that it certainly could happen this year for MD.

The biggest problem is the OOC schedule, MD needs to increase it strength of schedule to include more top 15 teams before conference play to better prepare them for meeting these teams during the tourneys. The Big Ten does not provide that experience except for Iowa this year. A lot of our fans have been critical of our OOC schedule. We’re hoping this will change next year with all the talent coming in and the development of the current team.
I feel the same about MSST. Our OOC contains some schools that do nothing to get us ready for post season. As of todate we have looked dominate but we have really not played any quality teams yet. We do have Texas and Ore coming up soon (both away games) so should be better able to evaluate then. MD win over SC as a visiting team was impressive to me because SC is a difficult place to win for visiting team. MD looked like an elite team to me.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm going to pat myself on the back because before the season started I said I considered Maryland underranked at #9 :)

Having said that, it's all too easy to be prisoners of the moment. Maryland looked dominant, but that was against a SC team that struggled to put away Clemson--the same Clemson team that proceeded to lose by 23 to Alabama.

Maryland will probably be the favorite against all of its regular season opponents, including against Iowa, but there's a reason why, outside of Storrs at least, undefeated seasons are extremely rare.

Reaction Score
As far as the in conference component:

I personally think that the two hardest conferences this year to go undefeated in will be the ACC and the PAC-12. Baylor, Mississippi State, and Maryland look to be clear frontrunners in their respective conferences, and while Notre Dame and Oregon are also frontrunners and have a good chance to go undefeated, I feel like they may face a little stiffer competition.

Not that I would be shocked if Maryland dropped one to Iowa or Minnesota, if Mississippi State dropped one to South Carolina or Tennessee, or if Baylor dropped one to Texas (although maybe the most unlikely IMO), but I think they have a good chance to run the table. I just feel like last year the gap between Texas and Baylor was closer, the gap between Mississippi State and South Carolina was closer, and the gap between Maryland and Ohio State was closer than what they will see this year, but that does not mean I would be in shock if they did drop a conference game.

ACC and Pac-12 seem to be more competitive down the strech. Oregon State, Stanford, Arizona State, Cal, and even USC are all capable of beating this Oregon team in the Pac-12. And Louisville definitely has a shot at ND this season, as does Syracuse if they are on.

Then there is also the non-conference component:

UConn plays Baylor in what very well could be a loss for Baylor.

Mississippi State plays Oregon in what very well could be a loss for Mississippi State.

The only potential losses, which IMO are far more unlikely than either of the previous two, for Maryland are Georgia and Georgia Tech.

Reaction Score
I don't see how any team in PAC-12 will go undefeated. If that happens, then we have a strong final four candidate out of the PAC-12.

Reaction Score

This statement about schools, like Maryland and Baylor, looking to upgrade their OOC schedules is a bit disingenuous. These schools certainly have the ability to schedule difficult OOC opponents. The fact that their schedules don't have them is a choice, not bad luck. The fact is that a lot of coaches, like the head coaches of Baylor, Maryland, Duke and so many others, is that they only look to schedule difficult OOC opponents when they think they have a team that can win those games. A commitment to a challenging OOC schedule demands more, it calls for a willingness to take on tough opponents when you have a down year, it calls for a willingness to actually lose these games in pursuit of something more. A program that takes on the biggest challenges available, and learns about itself in the process.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My vote based on what I have seen today plus the team’s future schedule - Maryland.

1. UCONN-potential losses include @ND, @Baylor, @Louisville. Don't see them having any other close games.

2. Maryland-potential losses include vs. Georgia, and @ Iowa. Crazy thing is, I'm not sure they're a lock for a 1 seed even if they do run the table. Their schedule isn't strong playing in the Big Ten, and their tough OOC opponents in SC and Georgia appear to be badly over ranked.

Outside shot:
3. Baylor-potential losses include vs. UCONN, vs/@ Texas, vs. Stanford, @ South Carolina. I think they lose at least a couple.

4. Notre Dame-potential losses include vs. UCONN, vs. Louisville, @ Tennessee, vs. Iowa, @ Syracuse, @ NC State

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The most difficult conference to go undefeated in every year is the American, if you are a team other than UCONN!

For the last two seasons, I've been saying that the American is s-l-o-w-l-y coming of age and maturity like the BIG East did back in the day. American Conference teams have been getting better with each passing year.

After 4 games, 8 teams are above .500. Six of those teams are undefeated in OOC play. In spite of their current 2-3 record, I believe that Houston is the most improved team in the American. They finished 20-12 (9-7) with an invite to the NIT last year. I think that THIS is the year the American sends 3 teams to the NCAA tournament.

USF has already knocked off 2 MAJORS in Ohio State and Oklahoma. Tulane has beaten LSU & Washington. Michelle Clark-Heard has left Western Kentucky to become the women's hoops coach at Cincinnati, replacing Jemelle Elliott. Her OOC schedule is a bit soft this year, a dynamic I'm sure will change in the immediate future.

UConn's record of being undefeated in conference since its inception could also be in danger this season. I said "could", not is. Don't forget the 63-60 Tulane game 2 years ago. No one saw that one coming. UConn came very close to losing that one.

The current standings for the AAC as of Wed 11/21/2018.

1542819304917.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I think Mississippi State has a shot too. They have a relatively weak OOC schedule, but they have @Texas and @Oregon. Neither will be easy road wins. I could easily see them going 1-1 or 2-0 in this stretch. I actually think with Andra Espinoza-Hunter and Anriel Howard they are better than last year. They have a shot to repeat as SEC undefeated regular season champs again.

Reaction Score
There is no chance in heck that Oregon goes undefeated, not with road games at Stanford, Cal, Arizona State, Oregon State, Southern Cal, UCLA, Michigan State...and some tough home games left too.

Reaction Score
There is no chance in heck that Oregon goes undefeated, not with road games at Stanford, Cal, Arizona State, Oregon State, Southern Cal, UCLA, Michigan State...and some tough home games left too.
I would agree. If Oregon does manage to come out of PAC-12 schedule with no losses, then Oregon is a legitimate FINAL 4 candidate.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
For the last two seasons, I've been saying that the American is s-l-o-w-l-y coming of age and maturity like the BIG East did back in the day. American Conference teams have been getting better with each passing year.

After 4 games, 8 teams are above .500. Six of those teams are undefeated in OOC play. In spite of their current 2-3 record, I believe that Houston is the most improved team in the American. They finished 20-12 (9-7) with an invite to the NIT last year. I think that THIS is the year the the American send 3 teams to the NCAA tournament.

USF has already knocked off 2 MAJORS in Ohio State and Oklahoma. Tulane has beaten LSU & Washington. Michelle Clark-Heard has left Western Kentucky to become the women's hoops coach at Cincinnati, replacing Jemelle Elliott. Her OOC schedule is a bit soft this year, a dynamic I'm sure will change in the immediate future.

UConn's record of being undefeated in conference since its inception could also be in danger this season. I said "could", not is. Don't forget the 63-60 Tulane game 2 years ago. No one saw that one coming. UConn came very close to losing that one.

The current standings for the AAC as of Wed 11/21/2018.

View attachment 36566

Egads - we're in sixth place! How did this happen? Is the season doomed? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think Jonathan made a great point about the culture of OOC scheduling. I think in Maryland's case, they used to play in the ACC so you always had difficult games against UNC and Duke. Wake, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Virginia had some good teams during their time there. Then Notre Dame and Syracuse their last season in the ACC. So Maryland really didn't need to schedule a strong OOC because their RPI was going to be good playing in the ACC. Playing in the Big 10 the RPI is taking a bit of a hit for them and Maryland hasn't really adjusted to it yet. I'm thinking that Maryland is hoping the Big 10 teams get stronger in the future so this is no long a problem.

BTW, I think Maryland goes undefeated in the regular season and get the first #2 seed (playing the last #1 seed). The Iowa game is on the road but they match up really well them this season.

Reaction Score
I could see Notre Dame or possibly Mississippi State going undefeated this season...................I''m kind of hoping UConn loses at least one game.....................they've missed two finals going undefeated why not try a different look............

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
BTW, I think Maryland goes undefeated in the regular season and get the first #2 seed (playing the last #1 seed). The Iowa game is on the road but they match up really well them this season.

TWF - Am I right in thinking Maryland went 12-4 in conference play last year? I saw the Terps play at Michigan in February - entertaining game that could have gone either way but Michigan pulled away at the end.

Wondering if your prediction of an unbeaten regular season is based on a sense that the Big Ten will be weaker over all, or that Maryland has added skills and strengths to the team that weren't there last year. If the latter, what are they?

Reaction Score
I could care less. It comes down to 3 games for us that will determine if this was a success or failed season. Elite 8, FF & Championship.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
2. Maryland-potential losses include vs. Georgia, and @ Iowa. Crazy thing is, I'm not sure they're a lock for a 1 seed even if they do run the table. Their schedule isn't strong playing in the Big Ten, and their tough OOC opponents in SC and Georgia appear to be badly over ranked.

I totally agree, they wouldn't be a lock. It would really depend on the relative strength of other top teams' resumes. Even if Maryland goes undefeated, their resume will probably not fare well against a team that has one or two losses but better marquee wins than Maryland's. All we have to do is remember how an undefeated Princeton several years ago was only an 8 seed. The committee likes to see quality wins above all else.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I totally agree, they wouldn't be a lock. It would really depend on the relative strength of other top teams' resumes. Even if Maryland goes undefeated, their resume will probably not fare well against a team that has one or two losses but better marquee wins than Maryland's. All we have to do is remember how an undefeated Princeton several years ago was only an 8 seed. The committee likes to see quality wins above all else.

You'd think Brenda would play a more challenging schedule after losing out on a higher seed in 2017 when they entered the tourney at 30-2...with losses to just Ohio State and undefeated UCONN. Big Ten is never a strong conference so you have to schedule tough OOC games to build a resume. Quality wins matter.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think Mississippi State has a shot too. They have a relatively weak OOC schedule, but they have @Texas and @Oregon. Neither will be easy road wins. I could easily see them going 1-1 or 2-0 in this stretch. I actually think with Andra Espinoza-Hunter and Anriel Howard they are better than last year. They have a shot to repeat as SEC undefeated regular season champs again.

I'd add them to the list too. I actually wouldn't be shocked if they do run the table but I'm guessing they drop at least a couple of games. I know it's early and they haven't faced any quality teams, but at first glance they have fantastic point guard play (A/To ratio of 4:1), have good shooters in AEH/Bibby, and the Howard/McCowan combo looks very imposing. Even if you stop them offensively, teams will have a very difficult time putting up big numbers on them with their quickness and physicality. I don't think they'll be nearly as good offensively as they were a year ago, but they may be better defensively.

Reaction Score
I totally agree that MD gets hit for post season play because of not many marquee wins. This has gone on for a few years. It’s confusing because they do schedule UConn, and have played some close games, but then MD does not schedule other top rated teams and their sos is lacking. Even if MD goes undefeated, I can’t see them with a #1 seed, especially if SCar falls further in the rankings.

While MSST’ OOC schedule is not great, I would love to see MD play teams like Texas and Oregon in the same year. That would be a big jump for MD.

I think if ND gets passed UConn they could go undefeated also. Seems like a lot of possibilities for undefeated seasons at this stage of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom