Team defense | The Boneyard

Team defense

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Overall, an impressive showing by Hurley and the team, but without question, what I came away most impressed with was the overall team defense.

Intensity and energy was off the charts. The team was connected and coordinated. We had very few breakdowns. I can barely remember Cuse getting easy buckets or wide open shots. When someone on defense did get beat by their man off the dribble, the help rotations were immediate and the recovery was impressive. Everyone was where they needed to be.

Tarin Smith is a lock down defender. Gilbert was a niusance all night. We had a bunch of blocks at different positions... athletes all over the floor.

The only thing you could maybe complain about was the excessive fouling... But I prefer fouls if guys are bringing 100% effort and energy.

Despite the foul trouble late in the first half, the team's bench guys still defended great... Whaley came off the bench and immediately blocked a dude's shot.

This is a DEEP team at all positions... center the only questionmark but Cobb/Carlton look solid early. The team's depth is ideal for Hurley's defensive scheme. We can pressure the ball all game and rotate in multiple guys if they get tired or in foul trouble.

This is a total 180 from last year where the team played well defensively for a few possessions and then get exposed by easy baskets or defensive breakdowns that don't get fixed. While Tarin Smith is an awesome addition defensively, the rest of the players are just about all the same as last year, so credit to Hurley's system and coaching. The kids are bought in and they all seem genuinely excited about playing for him... You see their commitment on the defensive side of the ball.

If we play defense at that level every night, we will win A LOT of games and surprise a lot of teams. Maybe Hurley is right and this is just the beginning. Exciting times.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I totally agree. Great team D.

I will say that there was a sequence where we had no rim protection there when the Cuse guys were getting past our guards. Mostly Cobb not keeping his head on a swivel. But overall, the energy and help was amazing.

Reaction Score
Syracuse couldn't get anything easy all night because our on-ball D was so good across the board. Gilbert, Smith, Adams, etc. Gilbert reminds of Boatright a bit: full-court pressure and getting so low in his stance, using his lack of height to his advantage.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Looking like we’re going to get Iowa. We have an immense athleticism advantage. Need to defend the arc and maybe play a little zone. Total dud from Oregon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the team defense to be honest. It seemed to me that the team did not know their rotations on defense, and I felt like there were a lot of Huskies in no man's land on switches. Syracuse screens would often create an open player one pass away, and Syracuse got a lot of layups as a result.

I thought the 1-on-1 defense was really good, especially by the guards, and the team played hyper aggressive on defense which resulted in a lot of fouls but was fun to watch and a welcome change from last year..

Reaction Score
Most of their easy layups were later in the game when we were trying to avoid foul trouble and/or had s four guard set out there with. Cobb played great but he’s not your prototypical rim protector.

Cuse has good athletes who have length and are skilled. All in all, great effort on defense and the boards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom