Teaira McCowan | The Boneyard

Teaira McCowan

Reaction Score
Tierra McGowan had perhaps her best game of the year leading the Fever in scoring in tonight's loss to the Liberty. Over the past month Mc Cowan has grown increasingly comfortable and is moving up in the race for rookie of the year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tierra McGowan had perhaps her best game of the year leading the Fever in scoring in tonight's loss to the Liberty. Over the past month Mc Cowan has grown increasingly comfortable and is moving up in the race for rookie of the year.

She has been excellent and will continue to improve. Still think the poor man's Sylvia Fowles comparison is "disrespectful" @CocoHusky ?

Reaction Score
She’s been great on the offensive boards, which is her bread and butter. I’m sure if she continues her play overseas or works on her conditioning and her 15ft jumpers in the off season she could be a force similar to Griner or Cambage simply because she is so big and strong inside.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She’s been great on the offensive boards, which is her bread and butter. I’m sure if she continues her play overseas or works on her conditioning and her 15ft jumpers in the off season she could be a force similar to Griner or Cambage simply because she is so big and strong inside.

I was a doubter but not lately. Besides the little 10' shot to give her some relief out of the paint, if she can get over 70% on the FT line (at 67% now), that would put her in the elite class. And she actually seems to like contact unlike Cambage / Griner.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She has been excellent and will continue to improve. Still think the poor man's Sylvia Fowles comparison is "disrespectful" @CocoHusky ?
Very! Sylvia Fowles is an athletic multiple time Olympian. Teaira is just big and has only played USA basketball 1 time in her life. Did you happen to catch the post by @Orangutan ( I think) a few back where McCowan is about to set an WNBA record-lowest assist rate in the history of the WNBA. McCowan has 4 total assists on the season, Sylvia is an order of magnitude higher and I'm not just talking about in assists either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was a doubter but not lately. Besides the little 10' shot to give her some relief out of the paint, if she can get over 70% on the FT line (at 67% now), that would put her in the elite class. And she actually seems to like contact unlike Cambage / Griner.
roll.jpg

Reaction Score
Very! Sylvia Fowles is an athletic multiple time Olympian. Teaira is just big and has only played USA basketball 1 time in her life. Did you happen to catch the post by @Orangutan ( I think) a few back where McCowan is about to set an WNBA record-lowest assist rate in the history of the WNBA. McCowan has 4 total assists on the season, Sylvia is an order of magnitude higher and I'm not just talking about in assists either.
McCowan is far more than just “big”. She leads the WNBA in rebounding % at 19.4, she leads Rookies in RPG and FG%, and she also has twice as many double doubles as any other rookie. Collier and Ogunbowale play a lot more minutes, so of course their scoring numbers will be better, but McCowan’s are better than Collier’s on a per/minute basis.

If that was all because of being big, than why isn’t Han Xu doing it? or McGee-Stafford?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
McCowan is far more than just “big”. She leads the WNBA in rebounding % at 19.4, she leads Rookies in RPG and FG%, and she also has twice as many double doubles as any other rookie. Collier and Ogunbowale play a lot more minutes, so of course their scoring numbers will be better, but McCowan’s are better than Collier’s on a per/minute basis.

If that was all because of being big, than why isn’t Han Xu doing it? or McGee-Stafford?

Please Don't bring up Han Xu. Head bangHead bangHead bangHead bangHead bang

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Han Xu & McGee-Stafford Stafford are very good comparisons for McCowan but please don't bring up a comparison to Sylvia Fowles like @bballnut90 did. To characterize McCowan as "elite" and mention Cambage & Griner in the same paragraph is positively blasphemous- @eebmg.

Great that McCowan has decided to enter the ROY race, a little late in the season IMO.
Good rebounding numbers and FG percentage for McCowan which is aided by being big and playing close to the basket. More than 8 feet from the basket with the ball in her hands McCowan is, was and remains a liability-see the historically low assist numbers. McCowan would be a well after after though in ROY race if Jessica Shepard had not been injured. In her last game Jessica Shepard dropped 6 dimes which is 150% of the dimes McCowan has dropped ALL SEASON.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Han Xu & McGee-Stafford Stafford are very good comparisons for McCowan but please don't bring up a comparison to Sylvia Fowles like @bballnut90 did. To characterize McCowan as "elite" and mention Cambage & Griner in the same paragraph is positively blasphemous- @eebmg.

Great that McCowan has decided to enter the ROY race, a little late in the season IMO.
Good rebounding numbers and FG percentage for McCowan which is aided by being big and playing close to the basket. More than 8 feet from the basket with the ball in her hands McCowan is, was and remains a liability-see the historically low assist numbers. McCowan would be an well after after though in ROY race if Jessica Shepard had not been injured. In her last game Jessica Shepard dropped 6 dimes which is 150% of the dimes McCowan has dropped ALL SEASON.
McCowan: 8.2 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 4 assists, 51.7 FG% (27 games, 20.2 MPG)
Fowles: 10.5 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 5 assists, 51.3 FG% (17 games, 25.3 MPG)

The numbers aren't that far off?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

In my quote, I said if she got her mid range game out to 10' and her FT to 70 %, I think she would be as good as Griner and Cambage. Part of that assessment is in fact due to the fact that I am not gaga over Griner or Cambage since they play softer than their size would indicate. If you could put Fowles post intensity into BG and Cambage, then you got something really special.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
McCowan: 8.2 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 4 assists, 51.7 FG% (27 games, 20.2 MPG)
Fowles: 10.5 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 5 assists, 51.3 FG% (17 games, 25.3 MPG)
The numbers aren't that far off?

Uhm..The heck they are not!

Career McCowan: 8.2 PPG, 8.1 RPG, .15APG, 51.7 FG% (27 games, 20.2 MPG)
Career Fowles: 16.1 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 1.1 APG , 59.3 FG% (306 games, 30.7 MPG)

Sylvia Fowles will be in the HoF, McCowan might be a very small footnote in the fine print of WNBA history-when/if she improves.

:eek: This level of disrespect for Sylvia Fowles is "unreal"! :eek:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In my quote, I said if she got her mid range game out to 10' and her FT to 70 %, I think she would be as good as Griner and Cambage. Part of that assessment is in fact due to the fact that I am not gaga over Griner or Cambage since they play softer than their size would indicate. If you could put Fowles post intensity into BG and Cambage, then you got something really special.
I read and understood what you wrote just don't know if you realize how low a bar the latter is or how counter productive the former will be. Her mid range game out to 10": McCowan right now is leading the league in Offensive Rebounding % & 2nd Chance PPG. Pulling her 10 feet away from the basket is going to cause both of those things to go down drastically and cause her overall FG%, which is already not very impressive for someone shooting almost exclusively at the basket, to also go down. FT to 70 %: McCowan is shooting a very respectable (69 of103) 67.3% on FT this season. In order to get to 70% she would only have to make 3 more FTs or (72 of 103) =not a very high bar.
BTW, although I would happen to disagree with you it is absolutely fair to have the conversation about the "softness" of Griner and or Cambage. This was a thread about Teaira McCowan though, who should never be compared to or confused with either of those player.

Reaction Score

Sylvia Fowles will be in the HoF, McCowan might be a very small footnote in the fine print of WNBA history-when she improves.

I was comparing rookie stats.

That’s like comparing McCowan and ONO’s career college numbers and saying ONO never has a chance at greatness.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

To update this:

McCowan has 4 assists in 547 minutes of play this year. That works out to .293 assists/40 minutes. She has a .13 assist/turnover ratio.

Fowles, no one's idea of a good passing center, has 41 assists in 832 minutes. That's 1.97 assists/40 minutes. She has a .71 a/to ratio.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She technically isn’t a “big” more of like a stretch-4. Had high hopes for her after the scrimmage...

At 6'9, that's one heck of a stretch! More like "Stretch Armstrong 4".

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Having your best game of the year and still losing to the Liberty kind of cuts both ways.

I realize all the ROTY contenders are on sub .500 teams, but at least when Arike went for 35, the Wings beat the Sparks.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Cambage loves to give contact. She just doesn't like to receive it. She plays very physical - she just acts like nobody ought to be allowed to do it her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Sylvia Fowles will be in the HoF, McCowan might be a very small footnote in the fine print of WNBA history-when/if she improves.

You cant compare rookie numbers to career numbers, unless you're assuming McCowan isnt going to improve over her career. Their rookie numbers are very much on par with each other.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
To update this:

McCowan has 4 assists in 547 minutes of play this year. That works out to .293 assists/40 minutes. She has a .13 assist/turnover ratio.

Fowles, no one's idea of a good passing center, has 41 assists in 832 minutes. That's 1.97 assists/40 minutes. She has a .71 a/to ratio.

Fowles is a 12 year pro and has improved a lot over time. Compare their rookie numbers and you'll see Fowles had 5 assists to 37 TO in 430 minutes while McCowan has 4 assists to 31 TO in 547 minutes. Rookie numbers are very similar between the the two.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was comparing rookie stats.
That’s like comparing McCowan and ONO’s career college numbers and saying ONO never has a chance at greatness.
WNBA Rookie McCowan: 8.2 PPG, 8.1 RPG, .15APG, 51.7 FG% (27 games, 20.2 MPG)
WNBA Rookie Fowles: 10.5 PPG, 7.5 RPG, .3APG, 52 FG% (17 games, 25 MPG)

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Fowles is a 12 year pro and has improved a lot over time. Compare their rookie numbers and you'll see Fowles had 5 assists to 37 TO in 430 minutes while McCowan has 4 assists to 31 TO in 547 minutes. Rookie numbers are very similar between the the two.

Thanks for getting those Fowles rookie numbers. I knew her passing was similarly non-existent as a rookie as well.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
WNBA Rookie McCowan: 8.2 PPG, 8.1 RPG, .15APG, 51.7 FG% (27 games, 20.2 MPG)
WNBA Rookie Fowles: 10.5 PPG, 7.5 RPG, .3APG, 52 FG% (17 games, 25 MPG)

So please explain how being labeled a, "Poor Man's Sylvia Fowles" when looking at McCowan's WNBA outlook can be considered "disrespectful"?

Reaction Score

And ironically enough, they both had the same bad coach their rookie years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom