OT: Teaching Teens To Drive | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Teaching Teens To Drive

Reaction Score
Remember my dad taking me to Fenn Road in Newington in the middle of rush hour around 430 or 5 PM. Pulled over, had me get behind the wheel...and said "DRIVE". Holy cats I was nervous. With my daughter, took her to the high school parking lot on a Sunday.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My Daughter got her learners permit a few weeks ago. Have not even gotten her into a car to practice yet. Going to start in a big empty office parking lot. Familiarize her with the car, how to set mirrors, where lights and wipers are. Habits you need every time you get in a new car.

Then we will drive around a bit in the parking lot. Takes time to understand how the car behaves. I recall thinking you steered the car back to straight after a turn, rather than lust letting the wheel move back on center. Stuff like that.

She did drivers ed, but not the on road portion yet. Mass requires 12 hours of that and I think 40 more hours with another adult. Then at 16.5 she can get her license. Very different than when I got my license in CT in 1980.

We have online driver's test, go to DMV, show ID documents and get permit, 12 months later you can go for driver's test for license. If you have any infractions during permit, 12 months time resets. Guardian has to vouch for 50 hours of driving time of which 10 hours are night time driving.
First year of license have yo be off road by 11pm, after a year it's 1am.

Without turning this in to a DMV thread, I do love the online appointment system in my country in FL. You get text message updates, the ability to change your time and when you walk in to DMV wait time is less than 10 min. Unscheduled needs do suck because you have to get there early and get a walk in time slot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Such a key skill though. Plenty of PP in NJ and NYC. When I was going to school in NY I got so I could do the front pull in because once you go by no one is letting back in.

They can't even pump their own gas in Jersey. I sure as heck don't trust them to parallel park.

Reaction Score
I was forced to learn how to drive stick at 16 or I was riding my bike or bus to school. I'm very glad I was forced to learn, much more enjoyable driving stick than automatic. Driving stick also keeps the kiddos off their cell phones!

I was twice as nervous as a new driver on the road because I was worried about being on the road and also worried about shifting gears.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
True but do you ever shift them? I rarely do.

No, because frankly they are quite good. I will put mine in sport now and then, which will change the shift points higher into the RPMs. Good for hill climbing and some other situations. Point is, people complain about the loss of the manual, and when given an automatic they can shift, they don't.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They can't even pump their own gas in Jersey. I sure as heck don't trust them to parallel park.
True but parallel parking is still on the test.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Because it's nothing like driving a stick with a clutch.

True, it's better. ;) I gave up my last manual transmission car when I lived in Boston. Stop and go on the Mass Pike and I'd get home with my left knee the size of a grapefruit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I taught driving lessons back in the day. My takeaway is that you have to hammer home proper lane changing technique. Signal, check your mirrors and blind spot every time you change lanes. That and being aware of what's happening 10 seconds ahead, don't fix your gaze on the car in front of you. The actual mechanics of driving is pretty easy and the kids picked it up quickly. But making good practices into habits is the key.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
True, it's better. ;) I gave up my last manual transmission car when I lived in Boston. Stop and go on the Mass Pike and I'd get home with my left knee the size of a grapefruit.
Yeah, I disagree. I grew up driving stick and really, really love it. Started with "three on the tree" in a pickup truck and some other work vehicles and had nothing but manual transmissions for my first five cars or so, and several since, including while living in San Francisco for a year. If you can love driving a stick there--and I did--you really love it. I think it puts you more in touch with the car and I like the way that it feels; and the timing with the clutch is part of that.

My last stick was a rear wheel drive BMW 530i, which I had to sell around 15+ years ago when we moved to the house where we live now, because the driveway is a pretty steep hill. I got an Audi A6, which had the sport mode that allowed manual shift in an automatic. I used it frequently for around a month but it wasn't the same, so I eventually stopped using it altogether. We've been to a couple European vacations since and, being a cheapskate, I was thrilled that the manual rental cars were so much cheaper and I really loved driving stick again. The best was Wales and Ireland, where you are sitting on the other side of the car, driving on the other side of the road, and shifting with your left instead of your right. When I loved that again, I knew it was genuine.

I came back from that last trip convinced that I would be buying a stick for my daughters and teaching them how to drive on that. Let's just say that they weren't nearly as enthused about the idea, and it was quickly shuttled.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I taught driving lessons back in the day. My takeaway is that you have to hammer home proper lane changing technique. Signal, check your mirrors and blind spot every time you change lanes. That and being aware of what's happening 10 seconds ahead, don't fix your gaze on the car in front of you. The actual mechanics of driving is pretty easy and the kids picked it up quickly. But making good practices into habits is the key.

That's the stuff I'm worried about. I always know what's behind me as well. I see so many adult drivers who pay no attention to what is behind them on the highway. I think it will take some time and that first trip on the highway might be a little terrifying. I worry about her attention span. These kids are so used to being constantly entertained, that they may lose focus. Maybe the danger helps, I don't know.

As for the mechanics, I think the basics are easy enough, but many people don't have a good feel for how their car behaves at the limits. I think I learned a lot by doing dumb teen aged boy things back in the day, counter-steering when the rear wheels break loose, how front wheel and rear wheel drive cars behave when you lose traction front or rear. Especially here where you drive in snow, I think it's helpful to practice those things.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's the stuff I'm worried about. I always know what's behind me as well. I see so many adult drivers who pay no attention to what is behind them on the highway.

Yup, glance at rear-view every few seconds. It works. I've never had an accident and haven't gotten a ticket in 35 years. And that one was bogus. Driving 72 mph on a empty, 3-lane interstate. But it was a red state and I had yankee plates.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I didn't want to jinx this by mentioning it beforehand, but as coincidence would have it, I had a court date with one of my daughters this afternoon for the ticket she got when she totaled one of our cars in January. She had her license for around three months then and was headed to school around 15 minutes before sunrise when she hit black ice around the corner from our house, less than 1/10 of a mile away. She had just walked out the door and I told her, as I did every morning, "Drive slow, don't rush, it's not worth it. Be safe. I love you." She replied "I know, I will, love you, too," and then the phone rang literally one minute later with her in hysterics because she had driven off the road and into the woods. I'll never forget the tone of her voice and how scared I was that she had been hurt...or that she had hurt someone else.

Of course I instantly thought she must have been speeding because she was running late for school, and/or that she had been on her phone. And when we saw how far into the woods she had gotten and deduced that she must have been airborne in the car for around 20'-30' before landing, we couldn't believe that she hadn't gotten hurt. The sun came up in the meantime and the black ice disappeared, but a minute later a town truck came by to spread salt and sand. Then we started getting texts from many of our neighbors who had just driven past, all reporting that it was like a sheet of ice in the area that morning. Then we heard about two other accidents at the same time within a few miles. It quickly became apparent that she had hit black ice and had no idea what to do because she had never driven on it before and there had been no warning that morning. Nonetheless, the police officer ticketed her for speeding and failure to stay on the right side of the road. The car was totaled because of the damage to the undercarriage when it landed.

Thankfully, I got the ticket nolled today, because that would have been quite the hit on our insurance.

You can teach them to drive on snow, but all bets are off with black ice. I think the best thing you can do is try to be aware when it is present and do everything you can to keep them from driving then, period, until it is treated or goes away.

I stilll can't go by the scene without thinking about it. We were very, very blessed. In a cruelly ironic twist, the person who lives in the house across the street from where she crashed lost his then-teen daughter on that very same road in a one-car accident around 20 years ago. As they say in Spinal Tap, "too much duck_____g perspective."

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So I didn't want to jinx this by mentioning it beforehand, but as coincidence would have it, I had a court date with one of my daughters this afternoon for the ticket she got when she totaled one of our cars in January. She had her license for around three months then and was headed to school around 15 minutes before sunrise when she hit black ice around the corner from our house, less than 1/10 of a mile away. She had just walked out the door and I told her, as I did every morning, "Drive slow, don't rush, it's not worth it. Be safe. I love you." She replied "I know, I will, love you, too," and then the phone rang literally one minute later with her in hysterics because she had driven off the road and into the woods. I'll never forget the tone of her voice and how scared I was that she had been hurt...or that she had hurt someone else.

Of course I instantly thought she must have been speeding because she was running late for school, and/or that she had been on her phone. And when we saw how far into the woods she had gotten and deduced that she must have been airborne in the car for around 20'-30' before landing, we couldn't believe that she hadn't gotten hurt. The sun came up in the meantime and the black ice disappeared, but a minute later a town truck came by to spread salt and sand. Then we started getting texts from many of our neighbors who had just driven past, all reporting that it was like a sheet of ice in the area that morning. Then we heard about two other accidents at the same time within a few miles. It quickly became apparent that she had hit black ice and had no idea what to do because she had never driven on it before and there had been no warning that morning. Nonetheless, the police officer ticketed her for speeding and failure to stay on the right side of the road. The car was totaled because of the damage to the undercarriage when it landed.

Thankfully, I got the ticket nolled today, because that would have been quite the hit on our insurance.

You can teach them to drive on snow, but all bets are off with black ice. I think the best thing you can do is try to be aware when it is present and do everything you can to keep them from driving then, period, until it is treated or goes away.

I stilll can't go by the scene without thinking about it. We were very, very blessed. In a cruelly ironic twist, the person who lives in the house across the street from where she crashed lost his then-teen daughter on that very same road in a one-car accident around 20 years ago. As they say in Spinal Tap, "too much duck_____g perspective."
Glad to hear she is okay and it all worked out. Scary stuff.

Reaction Score
I love driving, I go out a few nights a week to just drive around town. I have an automatic, but I love driving with a stick whenever I get the chance to drive my grandpas car.
Ah yes, I remember high school too. Fun times driving around (thanks for the rides @Robertelamin) smoking cigarettes and stuff, killing time until we figured out something to do. Don't worry soon enough one of your friends will have a place to hang out at.

Reaction Score
I live in constant fear of the day my kids begin driving.
Others lament it, I hope 15 years from now, for the sake of my kids, the cars are driving themselves.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Super scary as a parent! Wow. That's your worst nightmare. Glad she's ok.

I bent the frame on our Honda Accord (1980...tiny thing) with my little sister in the car, by hitting wet leaves and then a curb. They can be every bit as slick as black ice. If I had been in our 77 Cougar (what I normally drove) it would have been fine. Was the car she wrecked front wheel drive? I'll never have another FWD car. Once those front wheels go you are helpless.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. Once you lose traction on black ice physics becomes your driver.
Yep. All cars just become sleds.

If it’s under all four wheels sure. An object in motion....

Reaction Score
Super scary as a parent! Wow. That's your worst nightmare. Glad she's ok.

I bent the frame on our Honda Accord (1980...tiny thing) with my little sister in the car, by hitting wet leaves and then a curb. They can be every bit as slick as black ice. If I had been in our 77 Cougar (what I normally drove) it would have been fine. Was the car she wrecked front wheel drive? I'll never have another FWD car. Once those front wheels go you are helpless.

I basically did the same thing in my first car, a 91 Crown Victoria. Going downhill, a little fast I do admit, and hit some wet leaves rounding a corner. Car just went straight and into some brush. If the brush wasn't there I was headed off the cliff. Very thankful for just the $900 of damage to tie rods, Pittman arms, linkage, and whatever else I bent up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Learned a bit how to drive in icy conditions in high school. Mid to late 80's and a couple of friends had Chevy Chevettes. On snow days we'd go up to the school and do some e brake slides in the parking lots and a few times just straight drove in to snow piles. Good times.

Black ice sucks. Got real lucky coming home from a UConn game at HCC many moons ago and was on 84 east by the old movie theaters in Manchester. Hit a patch of black ice and spun multiple times on the interstate. Came to a stop facing traffic coming right at us. Everyone did their jobs and no accidents. I think I was in a Chevy Blazer for that sharting episode.

One of the best gifts I've had in my life and I will pass it down is my parents have paid for all four of their kids' AAA Plus membership since we have been able to drive and have continued to pay for us and their 11 grandkids every year. They do it for Christmas and they say it's the best piece of mind they can get. Also, as I find out, if you have AAA you can add your kids to your account at no charge while they have their permit.

Finally, a bit of a humble brag. My daughter who has her permit has now twice successfully pulled boat out of boat drop at marina. Big stress relief to see her able to cinch the boat to the trailer and then dive it on out. This afternoon one of the marina workers was working on a rental boat and saw her do her stuff. He correctly said many guys wish they could pull a boat out that well. No wheel spin no jerking motions. I definitely spent time with her on flat land and without the boat on trailer going over low gears and setting/releasing parking brake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom