Te’a Cooper to Baylor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Te’a Cooper to Baylor

Reaction Score
Griner could use a little bit of that fire in the pro's. :rolleyes:
Agree - I think when she plays with Taurasi, Diana helps energize her, but that hasn't had a chance to happen this year. Sometimes Griner looks downright lethargic, which is a shame - she could absolutely dominate if she applied herself.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agree - I think when she plays with Taurasi, Diana helps energize her. but that hasn't had a chance to happen this year. Sometimes Griner looks downright lethargic, which is a shame - she could absolutely dominate if she applied herself.

Offensively, she is ok but it is just nuts to me how little she impacts the rebounding game. I recall one play in today's game when she took a 8' shot that was short on the rim and instead of following up her shot for a potential rebound, she just drifted back and the announcers were all over her about that since a player should have the advantage in rebounding her own shot.

Reaction Score
Where you there? Did you see the whole game or are you the typical hater that makes comments without knowing the REAL story?
I suspect most teams handle punching teammates differently from punching opponents or random strangers.
Who cares? Griner punched Barncastle. The end. If that ever happens at UConn, I hope Geno kicks the player off the team, recommends their expulsion, and then hands them over to the police. In other words, treat the offender the same way a non-student-athlete would be treated. In fact, I'd like to see the NCAA adopt a zero tolerance policy. Punch someone during an NCAA sanctioned event (game or practice) and forfeit your eligibility. Luckily this sort of thing is pretty rare, so there's not much need for extreme rules.

Reaction Score
Who cares? Griner punched Barncastle. The end. If that ever happens at UConn, I hope Geno kicks the player off the team, recommends their expulsion, and then hands them over to the police. In other words, treat the offender the same way a non-student-athlete would be treated. In fact, I'd like to see the NCAA adopt a zero tolerance policy. Punch someone during an NCAA sanctioned event (game or practice) and forfeit your eligibility. Luckily this sort of thing is pretty rare, so there's not much need for extreme rules.

Then Grayson Allen should have never made it past his Freshmen year.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Wrong...he was in the news nearly every season for Shittu plays. It wasn't just his sophomore year.

Actually, the two tripping incidents were his junior year. And he was not in the news every season for such plays; the incidents were during his junior year, while any small contact during his senior year was scrutinized for a potential similar characterization.

Reaction Score
Actually, the two tripping incidents were his junior year. And he was not in the news every season for such plays; the incidents were during his junior year, while any small contact during his senior year was scrutinized for a potential similar characterization.

You saw something about his bad sportsmanship nearly every season and have already heard them talk about in his summer league games this season. " Grayson Allen known for dirty plays up to his typical self" Is how they started the segment.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You saw something about his bad sportsmanship nearly every season and have already heard them talk about in his summer league games this season. " Grayson Allen known for dirty plays up to his typical self" Is how they started the segment.

This is just false. Getting tossed in the summer league game was legitimate but besides that it was minor incidents being blown up out of proportion. Being a scrappy white guy from Duke did him no favors either-- literally anything Grayson did was scrutinized and watched closely after the first couple of tripping incidents.

And again, back to the original point, nothing Allen did at Duke comes close to punching an opposing player in the face and breaking their nose.

Reaction Score
Where is @easttexastrash, the world’s greatest Griner apologist? Can’t believe he didn’t stop by to gloat after the Baylor NC (Congrats & R.I.P.?). Anyway ETT espoused the “Menendez Defense” = “Barncastle deserved it.” He felt it was worth a 1-game suspension to give opposing defenders something to think about before they grab and hang all over her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Hold up now..... A BAYLOR fan is talking junk about Grayson Allen.....

dont-get-me-started-cause-iainta-got-no-brakes-8156587.png

Reaction Score
This is just false. Getting tossed in the summer league game was legitimate but besides that it was minor incidents being blown up out of proportion. Being a scrappy white guy from Duke did him no favors either-- literally anything Grayson did was scrutinized and watched closely after the first couple of tripping incidents.

And again, back to the original point, nothing Allen did at Duke comes close to punching an opposing player in the face and breaking their nose.

He also wasn't thrown down by another player and antagonized by the entire Gym before hand. Can't imagine any 18 yr old handling that. If it were a guy and they did it I promise you nobody would still be talking bad about it.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
He also wasn't thrown down by another player and antagonized by the entire Gym before hand. Can't imagine any 18 yr old handling that. If it were a guy and they did it I promise you nobody would still be talking bad about it.

Lol at saying Grayson Allen didn't get antagonized by an entire gym...have you watched a Duke game in the last, I don't know, 30 years? Those guys get more brutal treatment from fans than anyone. Not the best argument. And he never threw a punch, Griner did.

And of course famous basketball players throwing punches (that break bones no less) are going to be remembered since it happens so seldom and Griner is one of the most famous players in the world. If Lebron or James Harden punched an opposing player early in their career, people would absolutely still be talking about it today. Probably a lot more frequently than people bring up Griner's punch or domestic violence issues.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kermit Washington famously punched Rudy Tomjanovich in the face during an NBA game in 1977. It haunted Washington the rest of his career.

Reaction Score
Kermit Washington famously punched Rudy Tomjanovich in the face during an NBA game in 1977. It haunted Washington the rest of his career.
But he totally destroyed Rudy's face and almost killed him. The resulting 60-day suspension (26 games) and $10,000 fine were a slap on the wrist compared to the damage he did.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I wasn't downplaying the severity of the incident. Here's a clip of it if you've never seen it before.

Reaction Score
Lol at saying Grayson Allen didn't get antagonized by an entire gym...have you watched a Duke game in the last, I don't know, 30 years? Those guys get more brutal treatment from fans than anyone. Not the best argument. And he never threw a punch, Griner did.

And of course famous basketball players throwing punches (that break bones no less) are going to be remembered since it happens so seldom and Griner is one of the most famous players in the world. If Lebron or James Harden punched an opposing player early in their career, people would absolutely still be talking about it today. Probably a lot more frequently than people bring up Griner's punch or domestic violence issues.

K

Reaction Score
But he totally destroyed Rudy's face and almost killed him. The resulting 60-day suspension (26 games) and $10,000 fine were a slap on the wrist compared to the damage he did.
He also destroyed Rudy's career. Tomjanovich briefly returned but was not the same and retired very soon thereafter. Still, when putting into context it was not as bad as Jabbar's breaking Benson's nose. Jabbar punched Benson a bit after the contact that Jabbar used as his excuse was over similar to Griner punch. Washingtons punch involved mitigating context. Rudy came charging towards him full tilt and he thought that Rudy was coming at him to attack. When in fact he was not coming at him but running to break up a fight happening behind Washington. That is why it haunted him long after. It basically also ruined his career as well. You have to see the entire video to get perspective. Washington truly regretted what happened, whereas neither Griner nor Jabbar did. With Washington, it was wrong in the moment decision, while Jabbars and Griners were calculated.

I personally thought the Griners got a slap on the wrist. Just as her punch came too long after the incident she claims justified it, very similar to Jabbar's punch. Much different than say a punch during the heat of a play. Both were deliberate and in a way that the other player was not expecting it. I thought that Kim really missed the boat on her mini suspension which took place in a game that was a sure win for them anyway. Griner should have been suspended for the remainder of that season. It was assault pure and simple. Still in both their cases it was an isolated incident that never repeated itself on the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom