TDH - was that enough passing/offense/scoring for you? | The Boneyard

TDH - was that enough passing/offense/scoring for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not trying to bust your balls (ok, maybe a little) - but that was a great game to watch, and I was happy to stay to the final bell because they earned it.

Loved the play calling and the execution. Whether it is TJ and Day at the helm or not for next year, whoever is in charge should spend time watching the game tape from today.

Reaction Score
Not trying to bust your balls (ok, maybe a little) - but that was a great game to watch, and I was happy to stay to the final bell because they earned it.

Loved the play calling and the execution. Whether it is TJ and Day at the helm or not for next year, whoever is in charge should spend time watching the game tape from today.

Awesome! Now that's the way to play the game! Too bad the crowd was so small they missed a very entertaining afternoon.

Tell me that the drive with 56 secs right before the half wasn't a thing of beauty. They made it look easy. They seemed to send a message that no matter how deep the drive starts, no matter how much time on the clock, we can hurt you. UConn through it's passing attack asserted its will on Memphis on that drive pretty much saying there's nothing you can do to stop us.

Cochran . . . simply outstanding. Getting better with each outing. Davis . . . man has he become a beast. Foxx . . . big improvement over second half of season. Weist . . . he obviously understands the concepts of a modern day college offense. Hell, the air show even opened things up for L. McCombs who had a good day.

Now UConn needs to make this the blueprint for going forward in 2014. 56 forward passes (most with The Huskies in the lead, not in desperation trailing in fourth quarter. GD with 15 receptions. Big plays, short passes, fades, three step drop backs . . .

Love every minute of today's game. I know it had to be hard on the "We got to get back to UConn football . . . smashmouth. We gotta get back to running the ball down people's throats". Just not the way the game is played anymore. Besides its boring.

Today was fun. Now I think fans can be excited about next season. Air Huskies with CC racing UConn up and down the field.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Awesome! Now that's the way to play the game! Too bad the crowd was so small they missed a very entertaining afternoon.

Tell me that the drive with 56 secs right before the half wasn't a thing of beauty. They made it look easy. They seemed to send a message that no matter how deep the drive starts, no matter how much time on the clock, we can hurt you. UConn through it's passing attack asserted its will on Memphis on that drive pretty much saying there's nothing you can do to stop us.

Cochran . . . simply outstanding. Getting better with each outing. Davis . . . man has he become a beast. Foxx . . . big improvement over second half of season. Weist . . . he obviously understands the concepts of a modern day college offense. Hell, the air show even opened things up for L. McCombs who had a good day.

Now UConn needs to make this the blueprint for going forward in 2014. 56 forward passes (most with The Huskies in the lead, not in desperation trailing in fourth quarter. GD with 15 receptions. Big plays, short passes, fades, three step drop backs . . .

Love every minute of today's game. I know it had to be hard on the "We got to get back to UConn football . . . smashmouth. We gotta get back to running the ball down people's throats". Just not the way the game is played anymore. Besides its boring.

Today was fun. Now I think fans can be excited about next season. Air Huskies with CC racing UConn up and down the field.
Until we hire a d coordinator who brings in a OC who will slow it down to play close defensive games. The HC choice determines our offensive schemes going forward. You want to see what you saw today next year? Only way to guarantee that s hiring TJ.

Reaction Score
TDH - so true. The level of confidence from CC and the receiving corp was outstanding. And CC also gets credit for throwing to the OPEN guy, and also not deciding who he was going to throw it to before he stepped to the line. Progressions. Spread the ball around. Don't be predictable. The McCombs TD and the second Foxx TD were brilliant calls and perfectly executed. The minute that the ball hit their hands on both of those throws they were automatic touchdowns.

Reaction Score

brown, todman, and caulley weren't boring.

Reaction Score

GREAT runners never are. And those guys were great. The problem is that if you don't have a passing game and you don't have a GREAT runner (which we don't), you end up with offensive droughts like we had the last two years. So aside from it being exciting (which it was), it is also going to be a huge compliment to Arkeel when he gets here. If he is what we think he can be at this level, having a passing attack complimented with a GREAT running back - we will do some serious damage.

As bad as we have been, if Arkeel shows up, we are 1-2 seasons away from our best team if properly coached.

Reaction Score
GREAT runners never are. And those guys were great. The problem is that if you don't have a passing game and you don't have a GREAT runner (which we don't), you end up with offensive droughts like we had the last two years. So aside from it being exciting (which it was), it is also going to be a huge compliment to Arkeel when he gets here. If he is what we think he can be at this level, having a passing attack complimented with a GREAT running back - we will do some serious damage.

As bad as we have been, if Arkeel shows up, we are 1-2 seasons away from our best team if properly coached.
yesterday was fun to watch. i think the espn commentators compared to New England a couple times. my only question was whether we have gone too far the other way. that could be weist showing everyone that uconn does have some aerial weapons, just didn't have the coaches that could use them. Up big in the 4th, i thought we could have played a little more ground and pound. they started to at the very end.
did max touch the ball in the 4th? I only saw pieces of the game yesterday so i don't even think I saw him at all yesterday. could be wrong though.

Reaction Score

Nor was Andre Dixon. Not my point. These players were all terrific, but so was Marcus Easley and he was a one year aberration on what a talented WR and some thought to effectively utilizing a passing game, could do for an offense.

Under Randy and then PP unfortunately UConn treated the forward pass like an "intentional walk" in baseball - just because the situation called for it didn't mean they liked it or wanted to use it again anytime soon. They failed to see - or simply ignored a very important fact - college football competes for the entertainment dollar and viewers attention (including talented high school football players). Today's game is high scoring and filled with forward passes and both failed to embrace that fact.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmmm.... Either this is TDH on twitter, or someone owes him a royalty check!

https://twitter.com/jscharrett/status/409809046288343041
Lol. I take the check, please. However . . . . right is right no matter where you find it. And this guy is right. Heck, if I'm gonna watch UConn lose a football game at least make it an action packed game where maybe you can trot out the old saying "we didn't lose, we just ran out of time". Don't want to lose in a 7-3 snooze fest that leaves all fans yearning for a soccer match because it has more offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom