Taurasi, Bird and Maya Moore picked for WNBA Mount Rushmore in GM Survey | The Boneyard

Taurasi, Bird and Maya Moore picked for WNBA Mount Rushmore in GM Survey

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart is also the favorite to win league MVP according to the executives.

On Thursday, the WNBA released the results of its General Manager Survey, which polled the league’s 12 decision makers on their thoughts and predictions for the upcoming year.

In honor of the WNBA’s 25th season, each general manager picked their own “Mount Rushmore” for the league. There were no unanimous selections, though Diana Taurasi received eight votes, tied with Cynthia Cooper behind only Lauren Jackson (10 votes). Sue Bird and Maya Moore both receive six votes apiece alongside Lisa Leslie.

Reaction Score
"Seven of the 12 GMs picked the Las Vegas Aces to win it all."
But LV lost to Seattle 83 - 97 yesterday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ummmmmmmm.......The Liberty looked good these last couple of games, Seattle looks great and never count out Dee!
I think there are a fair no of teams to make the playoffs. Sabrina looked really good too!
Since I’m such a Louuuuuu fan......I wouldn’t mind them winning! Haha

W

wolfe613

these gm's need to do a better job, idk if it's cause some of them are young but Lisa Leslie put the WNBA on the map. She was the first player where I really started paying attention to what the Wnba was, she shoulda been the leading vote getter.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
these gm's need to do a better job, idk if it's cause some of them are young but Lisa Leslie put the WNBA on the map. She was the first player where I really started paying attention to what the Wnba was, she shoulda been the leading vote getter.
Without debate on the number of votes she should get, I will agree that Lisa Leslie, HOF, who was one of the players in the league's inaugural season (1997), and one of its first iconic players in the W during its infancy. I would have no problem with her likeness being depicted on their mount. She is currently the head coach for Triplets in the BIG3 professional basketball league, as well as a studio analyst for Orlando Magic broadcasts on Fox Sports Florida.

She's got a trunk full of hardware = she is a three-time WNBA MVP and a four-time Olympic gold medal winner. The number-seven pick in the 1997 inaugural WNBA draft, she followed her career at the University of Southern California with eight WNBA All-Star selections and two WNBA championships over the course of eleven seasons with the Los Angeles Sparks, before retiring in 2009. Leslie was the first player to dunk in a WNBA game.

In 2011, she was voted in by fans as one of the Top 15 players in WNBA history. In 2015, she was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Leslie was also inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in 2015. There have been so many great players that have played in the league, its's hard to narrow it down to just 4. Even if you expanded it to a 10 player mount, you're still going to leave off a lot of "GREAT" players.

That said, Cynthia Cooper is rightfully also in the conversation. She was the MVP of the first 4 league championships won by the now defunct Houston Comets (1997-2008). It took 5 years for a team to break the Comet's "dominance" over the rest of the league. :confused:

ALL-time WNBA Champions

THAT accomplishment should count for something. NBA Hall of Fame inductee Earvin "Magic" Johnson once said: "once you retire, the only thing fans will remember about you is the number of championships you won." :rolleyes:

Anyone here thinks Sue Bird won't be a "first ballot" hall of Famer the first year she is eligible? She just might be a "unanimous" selection. Of course Geno will present her. ;) Sue lamented on the WNBA preview show aired Thursday evening that she is the same age as one of her younger teammate's (Mikiah Herbert Harrigan) mother. :eek: Question: who retires first, her or Tom Brady?

1621201829954.png

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom