OT: - Tanglewood | The Boneyard

OT: Tanglewood

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Feel free to move this Entertainment board when needed.

As an offshoot of the Black Crowes thread, what exactly was Tanglewood??

I've read some stuff and it seems.like it was summer camp for bands to work on material. There are some great versions of songs by Steely Dan, Chicago and other bands from 60's/70's.

What I don't know is who was the inertia to get this going and book the acts. And why did it die out?

Thanks for any old farts with real time knowledge of this time in musical history.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Feel free to move this Entertainment board when needed.

As an offshoot of the Black Crowes thread, what exactly was Tanglewood??

I've read some stuff and it seems.like it was summer camp for bands to work on material. There are some great versions of songs by Steely Dan, Chicago and other bands from 60's/70's.

What I don't know is who was the inertia to get this going and book the acts. And why did it die out?

Thanks for any old farts with real time knowledge of this time in musical history.

Why do you think it died out? My neighbors go there several times a year. It still has a steady stream of classical and probably jazz as well. My understanding is that it’s the summer location of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Kind of like the Hollywood Bowl on a different scale. I’ve never been but want to go.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It is the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra in Western MA. It was the Xfinity Center before Xfinity Centers were a thing.

They opened a music school in the 40s became like a Fire Island for musicians. It was started by the BSO director at the time.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Tanglewood is on the grounds of a grand old estate in Lenox, MA. As stated, it is most known as the summer home of the BSO.

In addition to its main hall, there is a secondary performance space that is exclusively for classical. And yes, music school, etc.

Because of the grounds, they've always sold lawn tickets, and in addition to classical, there's, a history of popular music performance as well. James Taylor has played a lot of 4th of July concerts.

My first concert experience ever was in 1970: Preservation Hall Jazz Band, John Sebastian (who had played Woodstock) and, Chicago, who were huge that summer.

I had missed the "Bill Graham Presents the Fillmore at Tanglewood opener a week or two before: It's a Beautiful Day, Jethro Tull, and The Who (who claimed at the time that it would be their final performance ever if "Tommy").

The third concert in the series, which I did attend, was Voices of East Harlem, Miles Davis (playing "Birches Brew"), and Santana (also huge, after Woodstock, and promoting "Abraxas").

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tanglewood is on the grounds of a grand old estate in Lenox, MA. As stated, it is most known as the summer home of the BSO.

In addition to its main hall, there is a secondary performance space that is exclusively for classical. And yes, music school, etc.

Because of the grounds, they've always sold lawn tickets, and in addition to classical, there's, a history of popular music performance as well. James Taylor has played a lot of 4th of July concerts.

My first concert experience ever was in 1970: Preservation Hall Jazz Band, John Sebastian (who had played Woodstock) and, Chicago, who were huge that summer.

I had missed the "Bill Graham Presents the Fillmore at Tanglewood opener a week or two before: It's a Beautiful Day, Jethro Tull, and The Who (who claimed at the time that it would be their final performance ever if "Tommy"). The third concert in the series was Voices of East Harlem, Miles Davis (playing "Birches Brew"), and Santana (also huge, after Woodstock, promoting "Abraxas").

Damn. We‘re not worthy salute to you.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I had missed the "Bill Graham Presents the Fillmore at Tanglewood opener a week or two before: It's a Beautiful Day, Jethro Tull, and The Who (who claimed at the time that it would be their final performance ever if "Tommy"). The third concert in the series was Voices of East Harlem, Miles Davis (playing "Birches Brew"), and Santana (also huge, after Woodstock, promoting "Abraxas").

If only you had seen Superstar Billy Graham. Dude was incredible.

hqdefault.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They still have a half-dozen or so rock/pop concerts during the season. James Taylor is a regular as his wife is/was on the BSO board. Tanglewood is still a stop for us every summer. My favorite Tanglewood video:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To elaborate, the main music venue is a good sized amphitheater surrounded by spacious grounds. The main problem with the lawn is that it isn't sloped facing the stage, it's pretty flat so you can hear but can't see live though they have video screens.

Reaction Score
It’s a cool place to go. I did see James Taylor there several times. Just saw Pat Benatar and Melissa Etheridge this summer. Saw a Steve Martin and Martin Short comedy shows last summer. The artists all seem to really like the atmosphere at Tanglewood.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They still have a half-dozen or so rock/pop concerts during the season. James Taylor is a regular as his wife is/was on the BSO board. Tanglewood is still a stop for us every summer. My favorite Tanglewood video:

I think I am more partial to this Chicago hit.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Never saw a rock show there, but for classical or jazz, a blanket, some wine, it's a lovely venue and environment.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I sent that pic to a buddy with the comment of me wanting to be the fourth man in at a bar right where my first three are Andre, Ox and Hulk.

No human I've met could keep up with Andre at a bar. His evenings at the old Olivers in White Plains were legendary. Cases of Henies.

Reaction Score
Tanglewood is very often the 4th of July home to James Taylor. Caught him there a few years back on the 4th, just because Tanglewood is less than an hour and there is something oddly right about seeing JT in the Berkshires.

The venue is good, but if I'm choosing a place with inside seating and lawn seating it's SPAC for me.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pops sez that back in his time, it was a Connecticut 'rite of passage ' to see the chicago/beach boys show since it seemed to be everywhere, all the time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom