OT: Tame Impala - The Slow Rush | The Boneyard

OT: Tame Impala - The Slow Rush

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Anyone else give the album a listen? If not you should.

Amazing piece of work here by Kevin Parker. Some of the best music I’ve heard in years. He’s got to be the best indie artist in the world at the moment.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've heard a number of people rave about TI over the past couple years. Personally, I don't see it, but I'm just some old dude. The example here is a nice groove, but I didn't hear anything particularly unique or relevatory, just kinda repetitive and derivative.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sounds like computer-generated music to me. And auto-tune, which I hate.

Reaction Score
I was a huge fan of Innerspeaker and Lonerism, but disliked Currents . . . a lot. The few tracks I've heard from the new album sound more like Currents than his first two. Since this is the musical direction Parker wants to pursue, I guess I'm no longer a fan.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I was a huge fan of Innerspeaker and Lonerism, but disliked Currents . . . a lot. The few tracks I've heard from the new album sound more like Currents than his first two. Since this is the musical direction Parker wants to pursue, I guess I'm no longer a fan.
Yea this one has more of a funky-techno type vibe with more synth, still prog-rock though. I’m a fan of all 4 albums. I can appreciate both styles.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sounds like computer-generated music to me. And auto-tune, which I hate.

It doesn't mean you have to like his music, but Parker is a stupendously talented musician.

Distorting vocals and instruments =/= autotune.

Reaction Score
Love Tame Impala. Currents was the album of the decade for me. I've been holding off listening to Slow Rush because I've been sick and haven't had the time to devote to it yet but it's eating me alive having to wait. Probably the only physical CD purchase I'll make all year.

Reaction Score
going to the last show on his tour this summer at the Gorge

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok boomer
I’m not a boomer, but my musical tastes probably lean that way. Although I do like some newer music like Anderson .Paak, Mac Miller, Lizzo, Cage the Elephant and a few others.

I see Tame Impala described upthread as techno, synth and prog rock; those styles have never really clicked with me no matter what decade.

Reaction Score
Love Tame Impala. Currents was the album of the decade for me. I've been holding off listening to Slow Rush because I've been sick and haven't had the time to devote to it yet but it's eating me alive having to wait. Probably the only physical CD purchase I'll make all year.
Listened to the two singles... I don’t get it, personally. Seems pretty dragged out with the songs barely going anywhere, without much depth along the way

so is this stuff you put on for a road trip or something?

Reaction Score
He's always been psychedelic, but went from late 60's/early 70's rock vibe on innerspeaker and has gradually shifted almost completely into what I would call trippy disco. I am into all of it, I like the rock stuff a bit better though.

He has an echo on his vocals, it's not auto-tuned. It adds to the psychedelic vibe.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, just push a button and your computer will make an album for you! Very convenient /s
No, I mean like using a drum machine or computer instead of a human drummer. No idea if that’s what he’s doing, but that’s what it sounds like to me. Like I said, I‘ve never been big on the techno or synth stuff, in large part because I also like to see music performed live, by humans.

But again, that’s just my preference. I also missed the second half of the game today because I was watching a live solo acoustic performance from one of my favorite musicians in one of my favorite local venues, so I’m sure my preferences are not shared by many here.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
It doesn't mean you have to like his music, but Parker is a stupendously talented musician.

Distorting vocals and instruments =/= autotune.
He's always been psychedelic, but went from late 60's/early 70's rock vibe on innerspeaker and has gradually shifted almost completely into what I would call trippy disco. I am into all of it, I like the rock stuff a bit better though.

He has an echo on his vocals, it's not auto-tuned. It adds to the psychedelic vibe.
Beach Boys and Pink Floyd used the exact same technique with their vocals to make them sound more trippy.

Reaction Score
No, I mean like using a drum machine or computer instead of a human drummer. No idea if that’s what he’s doing, but that’s what it sounds like to me. Like I said, I‘ve never been big on the techno or synth stuff, in large part because I also like to see music performed live, by humans.

But again, that’s just my preference. I also missed the second half of the game today because I was watching a live solo acoustic performance from one of my favorite musicians in one of my favorite local venues, so I’m sure my preferences are not shared by many here.

Try Lonerism.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To each their own
I don't think this is my cup of tea but I also despise rap so what do I know.....................
It's not a question of musical ability but a matter of taste
Those who like it - ENJOY!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom