Taliek Brown: Like Coach Calhoun used to tell me, it ain’t about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmies and the Joes.” | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown: Like Coach Calhoun used to tell me, it ain’t about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmies and the Joes.”

Reaction Score

Assisted access link<<

-> “It definitely gave me a little comfortability, but it's still hard because I know those guys are over there working,” Brown said of his familiarity with UConn’s system and people. “I've been in the fish bowl, I've been in the conference room with them, so I know they're trying to put together a master plan. You can know everything, but you've got to stop them. Like Coach Calhoun used to tell me, it ain’t about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmies and the Joes.” <-

-> Brown keeps in touch with Calhoun and former UConn teammates. He chats often with Young, a fellow New Yorker and longtime friend. He has been in touch with Hurley this season, too, and usually sits with UConn staff members when they cross paths at events on the recruiting trail. He takes pride in his role helping the Huskies regain form as a top Big East program.

“I didn't bring the kids there, I didn't coach the kids on the floor, but I had a positive impact on their lives, mentoring them, making sure they had the same career I had when I was in school,” Brown said. “I'm telling guys on my team now, the reason I love UConn so much is because it gave me my identity and it made me a winner in life — on the court, off the court, overall.” <-

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great read. I’m happy for Taliek. He seems focused and challenged and loving every minute of it. Reading what he said to his guys about the import of the tournament and embracing it reminded me so much of Calhoun. I’m looking forward to seeing where life takes him. He sounds like he could be a pretty good coach down the road.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Except now it's not about the awards and honors; it's about the Maddie's and Conor's.

Reaction Score
I heard that quote from Bear Bryant.

Bum Phillips disagrees. Talking about Don Shula he said, "He can beat yours with his and he can beat his with yours."

So my guess is both the Xs and Os and the Johnnys and Joes are both important.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Bum Phillips disagrees. Talking about Don Shula he said, "He can beat yours with his and he can beat his with yours."

Of course both are important. But when we lose or have a bad game this forum predominantly makes one or the other the problem for failure with the more typical blame placed on Hurley.

Reaction Score
Maybe it will help some on here see that Calhoun even knew a coach can only do so much, Hurley can only do so much, the players have to play and execute.

Reaction Score
Great read. I’m happy for Taliek. He seems focused and challenged and loving every minute of it. Reading what he said to his guys about the import of the tournament and embracing it reminded me so much of Calhoun. I’m looking forward to seeing where life takes him. He sounds like he could be a pretty good coach down the road.
Could be the next Iona HC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Could be the next Iona HC.
Assuming Pitino is leaving for St. John’s at the end of the season, I doubt it. I think he needs a little more experience. On the other hand being an assistant, for Rick Pitino, at Saint johns, would be a great next step in his career.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Maybe it will help some on here see that Calhoun even knew a coach can only do so much, Hurley can only do so much, the players have to play and execute.
And the players are human with the same types of human actions/reactions that all people have. To put blame on them for mistakes and failures is ridiculous. Even sadder to demand it from them when we don’t have control of our own reactions.

This is the way! I have spoken!

Reaction Score
It's "his'n" and "your'n". That's what made it so funny.
I read it off a table in Shula's Steak House in Key West in 2004. So it may not be word perfect. But you'all get the meaning.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

They didn't call him "Bum" for nothing....

Reaction Score
And the players are human with the same types of human actions/reactions that all people have. To put blame on them for mistakes and failures is ridiculous. Even sadder to demand it from them when we don’t have control of our own reactions.

This is the way! I have spoken!
I mean, we don't expect infallibility, but it's fair to ask whether certain players have a mental makeup conducive to getting it done at winning time.

People point fingers at Hurley, but maybe (as uncomfortable as it may be) it's about the "Jimmies and Joes."

Again, hopefully the next week or three makes this all moot.

Reaction Score
How much is so much in a 2 point loss?

Reaction Score
How much is so much in a 2 point loss?
Making one of the 2 open shots in the final moments to win. Coach can’t do that for you. Players miss shots so that’s normal but that’s not on the coach for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom