Tale of the Tape: Vance Jackson | The Boneyard

Tale of the Tape: Vance Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

As a Christmas gift to all here, I am putting together game tape on certain MBB players that warrant a second look. I'm starting here with Vance Jackson and hope to cut up the film on Steve Enoch next.

No commentary from me (for now), just an easy way that we can see what's going right and wrong with players after 11 games.

I personally found it interesting to be reminded of what we saw in the first couple games and what has taken place more recently.

Hopefully you all find value in this; if so I can carve up for others like Enoch and Vital.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think that VJ started to hit a real funk once his father started the BS texting
You have to think that is playing head games with the kid
His performance vs Auburn was not good
I am still holding out that the kid can turn it around and become a weapon from distance
If you can shoot you can shoot BUT if there is an issue with technique, that has to be addressed

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I like Vance and think he can be a great player if he stays. I don't understand why people are expecting so much from him? He's a freshmen. He wasn't even supposed to be playing this much.
People can't temper their expectations. He shouldn't be playing more than 10 min a game. Although he should be shooting a higher percentage from the line and 3.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is great stuff, kudos for putting this together. I know that this would require so much time that it wouldn't be feasible, but I'd be interested to see some snapshots of Vance on the boards. I was particularly impressed with how tenacious he seemed against Auburn, especially considering he hadn't shown much interest in that part of his game earlier on. If he can continue to do that consistently, that only makes the team better.

Reaction Score
I like Vance and think he can be a great player if he stays. I don't understand why people are expecting so much from him? He's a freshmen. He wasn't even supposed to be playing this much.
I don't think and certainly hope no one is asking for too much from him. The most startling thing from the tape upon my viewing is missing open shots and missing open shots by a mile. All this team needs from him is to be Omar Calhoun freshman year (32.1% from 3) as opposed to current season Vance Jackson (26.5%). If that's too big of an ask, then what did he offer in high school?

Also what's the deal with his dad texting I guess I missed that and the frequent allusions to him transferring?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His balls hit the rim and just clunk and die. Some real ugly misses but he'll get there I think. Coach Diaco would call the rest of our games "exhibition games".

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Combination of factors for Vance's struggles:
  1. He's in a shooting funk. It happens. His confidence is low.
  2. No doubt his dad's tweets didn't help and is probably in his head -- not his fault, shame on Vance Sr. for putting his son in that situation.
  3. He's being asked to do way more than he should because of the injuries to the team.
  4. He's a FRESHMAN!

Despite his shooting woes, he's still done a pretty decent job of handling the ball on the perimeter and not turning it over (he's been called on to do that a lot more with Gilbert/Larrier out).

I also think he's done a decent job of passing the ball and attacking the rim when he doesn't settle for the 3.

He's a talented kid and I have no doubt he'll respond. He'll have to shoot his way out of the slump. We need him to keep shooting regardless.

Reaction Score
  2. No doubt his dad's tweets didn't help and is probably in his head -- not his fault, shame on Vance Sr. for putting his son in that situation.
  3. He's being asked to do way more than he should because of the injuries to the team.
  4. He's a FRESHMAN!

Despite his shooting woes, he's still done a pretty decent job of handling the ball on the perimeter and not turning it over (he's been called on to do that a lot more with Gilbert/Larrier out).

I also think he's done a decent job of passing the ball and attacking the rim when he doesn't settle for the 3.

He's a talented kid and I have no doubt he'll respond. He'll have to shoot his way out of the slump. We need him to keep shooting regardless.

Agree 100%. On Friday, he definitely seem to be rushing things, trying to do too much, he played like, well a freshman. He'll be fine once the game slows down for him. Also agree on his ball handling skills, fairly confident with the ball and has made some nice passes.

Reaction Score
This is great stuff, kudos for putting this together. I know that this would require so much time that it wouldn't be feasible, but I'd be interested to see some snapshots of Vance on the boards. I was particularly impressed with how tenacious he seemed against Auburn, especially considering he hadn't shown much interest in that part of his game earlier on. If he can continue to do that consistently, that only makes the team better.
No problem; regarding the rebounds, the two things I see as the biggest differences with this team now as opposed to the beginning of the season is 1) perimeter defense and 2) rebounding from positions 1-5.

Speaking to Vance specifically, he was great against Auburn on Friday totaling 9 boards, but it was the first time he had more than 5 all season and against a team that has not been great at rebounding thus far. I hope this continues, but based on what we've seen so far I'm not counting on it but time will tell.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I avoid Twitter like the plague. Is Vance Sr still making bizarre UConn-related tweets?

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Plenty of makeable shots missed. His shot will become more consistent like most of our guys over the years. Bright future imo.

Great vid, thanks!

Reaction Score
He came in with a reputation as a lights out shooter. Just not the case. Great shooters don't miss as badly as he has. He has been way off on many of his foul shots. Great shooters hit 80+% of their foul shots.He needs to hit the gym this summer and shoot 500 shot a day and comes back a much better shooter. Hopefully he earns his reputation as a knock down shooter in years to come at UCONN.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
  4. He's a FRESHMAN!

What is his dad tweeting?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
He seem to have windup in his shot that allows players to close out on him. He also has a low release point way out in front of him. Players can get to his shot.He either has to shoot NBA 3 pointers or work on his mechanics. Seems like he is a willing sutdent. But he should be a valuable contributor in the future.

Reaction Score
I don't think and certainly hope no one is asking for too much from him. The most startling thing from the tape upon my viewing is missing open shots and missing open shots by a mile. All this team needs from him is to be Omar Calhoun freshman year (32.1% from 3) as opposed to current season Vance Jackson (26.5%). If that's too big of an ask, then what did he offer in high school?

Also what's the deal with his dad texting I guess I missed that and the frequent allusions to him transferring?
From people I have talked to at games they expected him to be an unbelievable scorer and they have said he is a disappointment.

Reaction Score
Its Freshman Jackson, fans looking for Junior Jackson have to wait a couple of years.

Good thing he didn't go to Kentucky or UNC, where they expect freshman to compete for conference and national championships. Besides, how much better is Brimah or Purvis from their first couple years.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Part of me wants to say, "he's only a freshman."

The other part of me believes when you get an open look and a chance to shoot, the only thing that matters is you and your ability to put the ball in the basket. Sure there are slumps, but I've never seen a slump this long with such horrendous shots off open looks.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain what his dad's tweets said? I have followed him and must have missed this. Plus what's the basis on the "if he stays" rummors? What is that based on??

Reaction Score
Its all about confidence, success will come. He has size and tools. I want him to put it on the floor more.

Reaction Score
The father Tweets like the kid is already a NBA lottery pick and his meal ticket and was pissed he wasn't playing as much in a game when he played like 22 minutes

He obviously doesn't watch him much and realize his shot is awful, he's slow, has no handle, can't defend, etc.

Can someone explain what his dad's tweets said? I have followed him and must have missed this. Plus what's the basis on the "if he stays" rummors? What is that based on??

Reaction Score
Biggest thing I have noticed in his game is that when he gets the ball, it seems like he has already pre-determined whether or not he is going to shoot the ball. And oftentimes whenever a defender closes out on him, or he doesn't have the look he thought he did, he will still throw something up or try to dribble his way out of it and try to shoot anyway. That will come with discipline and maturity. The airballs on wide open shots, however, are concerning. Hopefully that will come along with time and the loss of nerves. Thanks for putting this together South it was very interesting and valuable to watch a singular player so closely like this as oftentimes in game you can't focus on one player's game, or end up forgetting much of their performance. Great work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom