Tale of the Tape: Alterique's Jump Shot | The Boneyard

Tale of the Tape: Alterique's Jump Shot

Reaction Score
Next installment from The UConn Blog.

Tale Of The Tape: Alterique Gilbert’s Jump Shot
Through 11 games, UConn has seen a major improvement in its offense from this season compared to last. While the structural and strategic differences have been crucial to that development, one other vital part has been the emergence of Alterique Gilbert. Not only does he appear completely recovered from the injuries that held him out of the bulk of the last two seasons, he also looks like a whole new player.

Gilbert struggled with his jumper early in his UConn career, never establishing a consistent form, and only rarely hitting shots from outside. His first two seasons, both injury-shortened, saw him shoot 22.6 percent from three. This year, everything has changed; he’s one of the team’s best players and his 41.7 percent mark from beyond the arc leads the Huskies (with a minimum of two 3-point attempts, with apologies to Eric Cobb).

But with a couple shaky games recently behind him, it’s worth wondering whether he’s overachieving or if this is just who Gilbert is now. The mechanics haven’t always looked consistent, and for someone who missed left-to-right* in his previous two seasons, that’s a concern. I reviewed the tape from Saturday’s game against Manhattan, where Gilbert made two of his six attempts from beyond the arc, to see what Gilbert’s performance against the Jaspers could tell us.

[*Missing the majority of jump shots left-to-right, as opposed to missing a touch too long or too short, often indicates a weak shooter. Hitting the far or front rim is a touch issue, and not even Steph Curry has good enough touch to make half of his threes. On the other hand, missing left or right indicates an issue with either aiming or mechanics, which is a much more difficult problem to solve.]

Reaction Score
Where the shots are taken from is a factor. They should be taken as close to the line as possible because the further away the worse the numbers will be, but I think he worked on it over the summer and it has paid off. Take 40% any day. He’s turning out to be our best player and that’s a problem because it was supposed to be Jalen who is erratic.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Great analysis.

I’m still not convinced that he has total confidence in that left shoulder. He’s not going to his left very often and when he goes up(with either hand) he seems a little contact tentative. He should be drawing more fouls on these drives when he gets into the paint and def should be using his left more. I hope it’s just a confidence thing(or my imagination).

Reaction Score
Great analysis.

I’m still not convinced that he has total confidence in that left shoulder. He’s not going to his left very often and when he goes up(with either hand) he seems a little contact tentative. He should be drawing more fouls on these drives when he gets into the paint and def should be using his left more. I hope it’s just a confidence thing(or my imagination).

It’s my imagination, too. Great hoop eyes, UU.
Wish he’d get rid of that push-ahead dribble between defenders, too. This ain’t high school anymore.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This kid made 226 of 422 in HS. 54%. I realize it’s HS...but a very high level in a talent rich State. That % makes me think he is a born shooter. Once he gets his reps up, he’s only going to get better.
you'd hope so, but the worrisome thing is that he throws up some awful shots that are nowhere near the hoop. I'm hoping he's just knocking some rust off still and I think the new staff will help too.

Reaction Score
OT but Tarin got away with a travel in the second clip. Right in front of the ref too.

Reaction Score
would him favoring his hurt shoulder or his hurt shoulder being not as strong as his healthy shoulder cause him to miss right like he has been?

Reaction Score
Great analysis.

Hard to imagine any human being who's been through three operations on the same shoulder would not harbor doubts for some considerable time. It is strange to see him completely miss the basket to the right and later nail a couple shots with nothing but net.

Reaction Score
Men’s basketball gameday: Drexel at UConn

Hurley hinted some players aren’t putting enough individual work into improving their shot.

“If we’re gonna be a guard-oriented attack, we’re gonna have to shoot the ball much better from the 3-point line,” he said. “In order to do that, guys are gonna have to live in the gym and shoot more.”

Reaction Score
No question in my mind that his injury is having a psycological effect on him and plays into everything he does on the court. Hopefully it fades from his mind but it will take time.

Reaction Score
UConn Stats (2018-19) - Google Drive
I made a google drive where you can find some shot data for Alterique from this year by zone. The spreadsheet in the folder contains his shooting from various zones beyond the 3 point line, (Straight on, Right Wing, Left Wing, Right Corner, and Left Corner). I tried to judge where each 3 fell by using this photo below as a guide so I may have made some mistakes in my judgement. The document that is attached in the google drive details each 3 Alterique has taken this year, and it links directly to a clip of that 3 (thanks UConn Husky Games). I will have the rest of the players uploaded to the google drive as the week goes on.
1545165563737.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom