Taking stock ? | The Boneyard

Taking stock ?

Reaction Score
Is it time to collectively evaluate our 34th edition ? With the team firing so well and March just around the corner...what’s the sense of the Boneyard ?

I’m thinking short responses (silly me).

-Precisely targeted like a Martian rover ?
-Team in a hurry ?
-They think they own the entire court and eavery second of clock ?

Reaction Score
Highly talented, but mainly a finesse team and has some trouble with physical teams; sometimes comes out flat and/or plays down to opponent. a few nagging injuries that need to be managed into March. Meg needs to get her mojo back and especially (because of Baylor/Miss State physicality) Z must play defense without unnecessary fouls. If Kia continues to surprise with her 3s, Pheesa stays out of her funk, and Lou continues her all-around play, extremely hard to beat (of course!).

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Highly talented, but mainly a finesse team and has some trouble with physical teams; sometimes comes out flat and/or plays down to opponent. a few nagging injuries that need to be managed into March. Meg needs to get her mojo back and especially (because of Baylor/Miss State physicality) Z must play defense without unnecessary fouls. If Kia continues to surprise with her 3s, Pheesa stays out of her funk, and Lou continues her all-around play, extremely hard to beat (of course!).

I don't think Kia 3s are a surprise anymore. Clearly a big step up in her Senior year for the hardest working Husky on the team.

Reaction Score

I agree with everything here and would sum up my own thoughts by stating that most of last year's problems appear to have been solved. That, though, is mostly subject to Crystal being healthy and well conditioned going into the Final Four, as she is key to the team's ability to push pace and create in the back court when an opposing team's defense takes us out of our preferred half-court game. I'm not as worried about Gabby, as she seems to be able to cope with her situation, playing through any pain at a very high level. But as of now, the only real remaining threat seems to be the occasional and sometimes prolonged bouts of inconsistency and lack of focus on offense.

Next Monday's game against Louisville should also reveal a lot. Based on my eye test over the course of the season, including last night's games featuring Mississippi State and Baylor, I don't think there'll be another team that can beat us if we bring our B game or above. And I fully expect us to bring that level of game after what happened last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it time to collectively evaluate our 34th edition ? With the team firing so well and March just around the corner...what’s the sense of the Boneyard ?

-Team in a hurry ?

Funny you should think requesting short responses might be silly.
I like your briefly-stated descriptions; especially the last one.
I was taught early on in the business world: "Be Brief - Be Bright - Be Gone"
I strive for two out of three and consider myself ahead of the game if I accomplish that.
War and Peace has its time and place.

Reaction Score
Funny you should think requesting short responses might be silly.
I like your briefly-stated descriptions; especially the last one.
I was taught early on in the business world: "Be Brief - Be Bright - Be Gone"
I strive for two out of three and consider myself ahead of the game if I accomplish that.
War and Peace has its time and place.
Hey! Lay off Leo!! Not even the longest novel :)
AbeBooks: Size Does Matter. The Longest Novels

Reaction Score
Vulnerable when big teams (Baylor) with tight, physical defense (MS) milk the clock and keep total possessions at a minimum. Otherwise, pretty much unbeatable unless they beat themselves.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

-Team in a hurry ?
339820.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score

-Team in a hurry ?

- A team that other coaches would rather have someone else upset than to have to face them yourself in the tournament!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vulnerable when big teams (Baylor) with tight, physical defense (MS) milk the clock and keep total possessions at a minimum. Otherwise, pretty much unbeatable unless they beat themselves.

Bang on target!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After watching MS last night against SC I think the Huskies have a definite need for someone that can help in the paint with the physical post players their going to face going forward. Batouly could be the person to supply that help. Hopefully, there are enough games left to get her the playing time she needs. Even a few minutes of sustained physical play in the post during the tournament could be critical.

Reaction Score
I rarely keep things short but will try.
They need to pressure those physical teams from end line to end line, instead of letting them control us and the pace.
Unless there's an injury to top six, another NC!
Bronx23

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about the posts. I feel the secrets to stopping the post are:
1) aggressive back court defense that will disrupt the offense and force the entry passes from deeper.
2) aggressive blocking out on the defensive boards.

The entry pass issue has been in play most of this year. By forcing the offense to start further out, it gives Pheesa and Gabby the ability to out quick the post and get a hand on the ball.

My worry is enough guards who can play that style defense. Right now it is limited to CD and Kia, with an assist from Gabby on some of the bigger/slower guards. The game that worries me is against dynamic guards who get our guards in foul trouble. Minor foul trouble limits the level of aggression in the defense. Major foul trouble puts someone on the bench. I don't want to go a long stretch without CD and Kia against a balanced opponent.

Reaction Score
I rarely keep things short but will try.
They need to pressure those physical teams from end line to end line, instead of letting them control us and the pace.
Unless there's an injury to top six, another NC!
Bronx23
Spot on. But isn’t that exactly what they’ve been doing to a lot of big, physical teams ? I watch the starting five bang and jump and outrun everyone and they rarely allow anyone to control them for more than a few seconds. Same with the pace. This group is a hurricane.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom