Take Notice From One Hardcore Fan | The Boneyard

Take Notice From One Hardcore Fan

Reaction Score
There seem to be an avalanche of pundits banging the drum for UConn to retreat to FCS and go crawling over to the Big East to save basketball. I say unequivocally that the minute that happens, I’m out. UConn will have one less paying fan in any and all UConn sports and zero future donations. I hope others make it clear that if they think they are losing now, wait to you see the financial damage caused by abandoning football.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I figured the same... until this past season sped up the process for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reaction Score
If people have such a hard on to play St Johns, Providence or Villanova in basketball then just schedule them out of conference. Its flipping basketball. You play 768,987 games a year. If it is important to both parties to play then there should be nothing significant stopping you from setting it up. This nostalgia to scrap everything and go back "home" is so short sighted. Its like the kid who busted his a** to get into college dropping out because he's homesick and misses hanging out with his old buddies on the weekend.

The problem is that his friends are all stuck there for a reason and collectively they're going nowhere in life. This kid goes home and quickly realizes why he left in the first place. Life changes and you can't live in the past. Giving up football is a public statement that the university is willing to accept second class citizen status in athletics for the rest of time. Uconn Athletics might start being viewed no different than other NE State Schools such as RI, Maine or Vermont. :( Decades of work spent building a major AD down the drain.

A major state university joining a conference of all private schools? Stop. All because some fans want to relive the glory days of playing in a conference that no longer exists? Major investments have been made in football. I understand that The AD is hemorrhaging money, but don't you owe it to yourselves to try to see this thing through?

Bad hires leading to really bad football have brought some people to the breaking point. I get that. However if you correct #1 then #2 will improve. Do this and even casual fans will come back. Football will be fun again even if its stuck in The AAC for the foreseeable future. Win, go to bowl games again, and maybe even get back to a NY6 Game. Its not impossible. Unless...

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If people have such a hard on to play St Johns, Providence or Villanova in basketball then just schedule them out of conference. Its flipping basketball. You play 768,987 games a year. If it is important to both parties to play then there should be nothing significant stopping you from setting it up. This nostalgia to scrap everything and go back "home" is so short sighted. Its like the kid who busted his a** to get into college dropping out because he's homesick and misses hanging out with his old buddies on the weekend.

The problem is that his friends are all stuck there for a reason and collectively they're going nowhere in life. This kid goes home and quickly realizes why he left in the first place. Life changes and you can't live in the past. Giving up football is a public statement that the university is willing to accept second class citizen status in athletics for the rest of time. Uconn Athletics might start being viewed no different than other NE State Schools such as RI, Maine or Vermont. :( Decades of work spent building a major AD down the drain.

A major state university joining a conference of all private schools? Stop. All because some fans want to relive the glory days of playing in a conference that no longer exists? Major investments have been made in football. I understand that The AD is hemorrhaging money, but don't you owe it to yourselves to try to see this thing through?

Bad hires leading to really bad football have brought some people to the breaking point. I get that. However if you correct #1 then #2 will improve. Do this and even casual fans will come back. Football will be fun again even if its stuck in The AAC for the foreseeable future. Win, go to bowl games again, and maybe even get back to a NY6 Game. Its not impossible. Unless...

Yeah if they won things would be different.

They just signed their sixth straight FCS class.

Until they hire someone who can get players here nothing is going to change.

They were the worst team in the country last year and historically bad. They could be WORSE next year.

When your headcoach is paying a coordinator out of his own pocket - just start winning falls a little flat.

1. Collect Underpants
2. ???????
3. Just start winning

Reaction Score
From Kelly's héros, "Oddball : Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Randy likes last year's class but knows they were forced into action before they were ready. Does anyone believe that the DLinemen were not way better than the Diaco recruits? Both Washington and Krajewski are better than McAfee, Davis and Williams. This year's class is incomplete.

Obviously the team was not good. Until they are, (which I hope is sooner than later) there are other great things about the college football experience that make it enjoyable for me. The ease of getting to EH, the tailgating atmosphere, the awesome band, the better beer selection, the even better ice cream, they are our state team, all add up for me. Competitive games have occurred (not enough) and more will be coming. I would rather catch a game in EH before I'd ever spend money on the Pats, Giants or other pro teams (f them - GO HUSKIES!!!).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

You must not be from around here because you make way too much sense.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The same people who wanna go Big East probably think Syracuse, West Virginia and Louisville are still in the conference.

Nothing like a good UConn-Pittsburgh battle, on the hardwood or the gridiron.

Reaction Score

Recruiting rankings include both quantity and quality of recruits. If you go by individual recruit rankings, the quality of the 2019 class right now is the best since 2013. And that's not including the 2 grad transfers who both seem pretty good.

Quality ratings of UConn recruits from 24/7:

2019: 0.8050
2018: 0.7972
2017: 0.7939
2016: 0.8019
2015: 0.7928
2014: 0.7791
2013: 0.8132

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Recruiting rankings include both quantity and quality of recruits. If you go by individual recruit rankings, the quality of the 2019 class right now is the best since 2013. And that's not including the 2 grad transfers who both seem pretty good.

It’s essentially the exact same for 7 years.

Look at who they beat.

Pretending anything is going to change until they start winning in recruiting is ridiculous at this point.

I can’t even imagine how anyone can pretend otherwise.

Reaction Score

We see it through until the next media rights deals/any realignment. Then we assess the long-term landscape and make multiple decisions about the direction of the AD department -- sports to keep, sports to can, sports to invest in/cut back on, other schools to associate with, all of it. Currently that looks like it be within the next five years.

Reaction Score

We've struggled to beat the FCS teams on our schedule since then. Losing once.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
There seem to be an avalanche of pundits banging the drum for UConn to retreat to FCS and go crawling over to the Big East to save basketball. I say unequivocally that the minute that happens, I’m out. UConn will have one less paying fan in any and all UConn sports and zero future donations. I hope others make it clear that if they think they are losing now, wait to you see the financial damage caused by abandoning football.

You are not the only one. I am a season ticket holder and would bounce and would stop donating to the university. I like college basketball, but love college football.
UConn needs some big time donors to come in and help in the short run to help fill the gap.

This is why I hate BC, Miami and Cuse so much. They kept UConn out as much as anyone in the ACC.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately it still translates to probably the worst recruits in the AAC. I actually thought Randy was going to recruit better than before based on the recruiting classes he had at Maryland. Guess it was Maryland selling Maryland and not Randy.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Until they hire someone who can get players here nothing is going to change.

They were the worst team in the country last year and historically bad. They could be WORSE next year.

When your headcoach is paying a coordinator out of his own pocket - just start winning falls a little flat.

1. Collect Underpants
2. ???????
3. Just start winning

Yeah but I'M the a - hole

ok, I might be, but not for this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah but I'M the a - hole

ok, I might be, but not for this.

The argument for keeping football isn’t a financial or emotional argument.

It’s an argument that they can hire a coach who can hire a staff that can recruit a team that can win 5-7 games a year.

We are past saying if they win people will show up and close the revenue gap. Maybe the next administration can hire a coach that can recruit well enough to win here. We know beyond a shadow of a doubt this administration can’t.

Stop saying all they have to do is get back to winning. It was only mercy, sportsmanship and turtleball that kept them from losing multiple games by 80 points.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
My god if I was in a coma and awoke today and saw this thread I would most certainly know it’s January in the asylum!

Reaction Score
Last years team was not the bench mark for evaluating whether we can get back to winning in football. The next two years are.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom