Take it FWIW | The Boneyard

Take it FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
A poster claiming to have ties to the TCU AD (on CSN) said that BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, UConn, and possibly now Memphis are the leading candidates and that the TV folks were going to be giving the Big12 their inputs.

Reaction Score
So, its BYU and Cinci and if they both decline and UCF and USF decline, we have a shot with Memphis. got it

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Cincinnati is a BCS holder from the Big East, has very good football, good basketball and a solid market for TV and recruiting.

Take a look at their recent football win totals: 10, 11, 12, 4, 10, 10, 9, 9. Wow.

I don't think regardless of recent success that the Big 12 dips into CUSA for UCF, USF or Memphis even though the football is there.

It's up to UConn and BYU.

BYU obviously has a national following due to their religious mission, so who knows if they would be interested much like ND.

BYU football has also been solid and has history.

The question is whether they will assimilate to a league.

Then it's us.

Horrible football as of late but only four years removed from the BCS.

Also in that time we've won two national titles.

Since it's all about money, I wonder if our pull in the northeast would be attractive to the Big12 who's pretty much an after thought in the region.

With WVU and UConn I think Texas, OU and KU would put a dent into B1G and ACC territory.

Gun to my head? If they expand I think it is Cinci and BYU. I hate that is the case but our football can't even be described as below average. Unless the networks insist on northeast exposure, I don't think it looks good.

If in fact they do want that. I think we have a fighting shot.

Reaction Score
someone inform Texas that we will move The longhorn Network to Tier 1 in CT if they allow us to move into there conference. We all know if they say they like the idea then everyone will say they like the idea.

Reaction Score
I think it makes sense that FOX will have the greatest input on the additions (if they happen). They own the B12 Tier 1 rights correct? Hopefully they see a need to better basketball ratings (including the womens team). If anything maybe this stirs up Delany to make a preemptive move to snatch up Uconn before it is too late.

Reaction Score
A poster claiming to have ties to the TCU AD (on CSN) said that BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, UConn, and possibly now Memphis are the leading candidates and that the TV folks were going to be giving the Big12 their inputs.

Any links?

Reaction Score
Appearently ESPNU has 1)BYU 2) Boise 3) Houston

Granted these guys know as much as we do and are only looking at it from a geographical/football view and leaving out the financial side.

Reaction Score
ESPN, please do us a solid.... Just think about the east coast and Midwest ratings UConn and KU would do in basketball.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BYU is going if they are invited. Mendenhall and the AD are on the record on that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If true, UConn's best hope is that this activity shakes the ACC loose on the off-chance that the Big 12 expands by 4 teams. Even a ND-like pseudo membership with the ACC would be a huge win.

Reaction Score
Can't see them going to 14. They'll go the minimum if they want a CCG. No way they'll slice that pie more than they have to.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Can't see them going to 14. They'll go the minimum if they want a CCG. No way they'll slice that pie more than they have to.

They aren't slicing the pie more than they have to, they will just re-open the contract and get more money out of Fox and ESPN. 12 should be easy. I agree that 14 is probably a stretch though.

Edit: The only way the Big 12 could justify 14 would be westward, either Colorado State or Boise, along with BYU, UConn and Cincinnati. Does seem like a stretch though.

Reaction Score
Ward gets to play poker. He should be all over this and keeping the ACC and BiG "in the loop". Best case scenario is one of those conferences doesn't want the 12 in their market enough to bring in UCONN. Not sure they care that much, but that's the play.

Reaction Score
14 worked okay for the ACC with 11 bowl teams. That is a pretty good % and every bowl game means more conference revenue. If the wave of CR is 14 or 16, and that is what the Big 12 sees, that is the way they will go or else they will be out in the cold every year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
14 worked okay for the ACC with 11 bowl teams. That is a pretty good % and every bowl game means more conference revenue. If the wave of CR is 14 or 16, and that is what the Big 12 sees, that is the way they will go or else they will be out in the cold every year.

The bowls are money losers, but the TV inventory grows with each team, to a point, and that is very valuable.

Reaction Score
The bowls are money losers, but the TV inventory grows with each team, to a point, and that is very valuable.
The lower tier bowls are a money loser if each school looks at the costs and has to absorb them. Most conferences, the league gathers all of the bowl money and distributes. For the P5 with two teams each in the New Years 6, they all come out looking pretty good in the aggregate. When you look at the entire TV picture, more P5 schools in bowl games is a good thing for ESPN, Fox Sports and whomever wants to be involved in the slowest of slow TV seasons. It fills the air with content and they can sell their ad time. I'm sure that every conference TV contract with the bowls also has money in for there that is never included in the discussions about the net income/loss from the games. That always seems to be measured solely on the bowl payout to the conference.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I do think that the Bix XII will consider UConn in any expansion. I don't know if they'd take UConn, but I definitely think they'll do their due diligence on the overall value of the program. It'd be idiotic not to at least consider UConn, but idiotic moves seem to be their expansion M-O, so who knows.

Reaction Score

Fox own the YES network which obviously has ties to the Yankee Stadium thing, I have long thought that should be our worm hole into the B12.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Basically, he just named every potential team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom