OT: Take down the banner, UNC | The Boneyard

OT: Take down the banner, UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
During the season that the UNC men’s basketball team made its run to the 2005 NCAA championship, its players accounted for 35 enrollments in classes that didn’t meet and yielded easy, high grades awarded by the architect of the university’s academic scandal.

The classes, some advertised as lectures but that never met and others listed as independent studies, were supervised by Deborah Crowder, a manager in African and Afro-American studies who a report from former U.S. Justice Department official Kenneth Wainstein says graded required end-of-semester work leniently as part of a “paper class” scheme to keep athletes eligible. Crowder was not a professor and admitted to investigators that she assigned grades without reading the papers.

The new information is likely to draw scrutiny from the NCAA, which reopened its investigation this summer, shortly after ESPN and The N&O reported the heavy involvement in paper classes by the basketball team.

link

Reaction Score
remember that game in chapel hill when rashad anderson dueled 3 ball with that super unc jump shooter who spilled beans to esp..n

without that unc dude being eligible; UCONN would have mopped smith center floor with rest of tar heels that day

now you know why unc dids what it dooz-its called winning at all costs to avoid embarassment on home floor vs dreaded nouveau riche jonathan & co

Reaction Score
Some excerpts that don't paint a pretty picture for good ol Roy…

The Wainstein documents also reveal a friendly relationship between Crowder and Wayne Walden, coach Roy Williams’ hand-picked academic counselor for the basketball team.

They show the two working together to get players into the classes and Walden providing tickets and other team freebies to Crowder.

Walden told investigators he was aware that Crowder was grading the papers, but he said he can’t recall telling Williams.
The Wainstein report shows that from 2000 through 2007, five or more basketball players were enrolled in each of 16 lecture-style classes that had been quietly converted into no-show classes. Twelve of them took place after Williams arrived at UNC in 2003 to coach the team
Four months later, at a press conference, an N&O reporter asked Williams why his players had stopped taking AFAM paper classes by the start of the fall 2009 semester. Was it because Crowder had retired, or did someone in the program notice something wrong?

Williams responded: “You say we either did something, or we didn’t do something. Maybe guys, girls, just decided not to take certain classes.”

A real house of cards, there...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In the 18 years of paper classes, men’s basketball players accounted for 363 enrollments, an average of 20 enrollments per year.
The football team accounted for 1,377 enrollments during that period, but the football team has roughly nine times the number of athletes.
How can this end without, minimally, UNC vacating at least one NC and loss of scholarships, and a sustained post season ban? Honestly, if there ever was a case for the death penalty, this is it.

Reaction Score
Well right now ESPN has a fluff piece on their front page about UNC- smoke and mirrors and misdirection.

It will be fascinating to see what shakes out from this whole thing. UCONN is used to being the NCAA's doormat and we have a justifiable disdain for the organization- I can not get rid of the feeling that nothing will happen and that if our players fart in a public elevator- we will get banned once again. It does seem teams like Quse and UNC can crap all over the system and walk away without any real consequences. The ACC is a bloody mess right now if you through UV's problems into the mix- 3 of the top teams-are in the news for all the wrong reasons- any other conference and there would be no question that the hammer would come down.

Reaction Score
Several people refused to speak with Wainstein. This civil action commenced last week will allow former UNC's athlete's attorneys to force testimony from three key actors in this years-long academic scam. Theory of lawsuit is unique - UNC breached contract with student-athlete to provide a college education. As much as NCAA may wish this to go away I don't think it will.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/us/unc-academic-scandal/index.html

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well right now ESPN has a fluff piece on their front page about UNC- smoke and mirrors and misdirection.

It will be fascinating to see what shakes out from this whole thing. UCONN is used to being the NCAA's doormat and we have a justifiable disdain for the organization- I can not get rid of the feeling that nothing will happen and that if our players fart in a public elevator- we will get banned once again. It does seem teams like Quse and UNC can crap all over the system and walk away without any real consequences. The ACC is a bloody mess right now if you through UV's problems into the mix- 3 of the top teams-are in the news for all the wrong reasons- any other conference and there would be no question that the hammer would come down.
UV's problem's? I missed this. I see that they are having a review of their accreditation, but it is unclear as to why. What's the thumb nail version?

Reaction Score
Although some UNC fans can be a bit annoying, their fans generally respect our program and appreciate that we stopped dook and kentucky from claiming additional titles.

I think that they will get titles vacated, and deservitly so, but I'm not going to rub salt in their wounds, this is no fun for any fan base to deal with. This is about to get ugly.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I do not give a flying f--- how UNC fans regards UConn.

Their hoop program had an average of 20 paper classes a year for 18 years.

For two decades, their football team and both basketball teams put ineligible athletes on the court - occasionally against our teams.

There should be 18 years worth of zeroes in their record books.

Reaction Score

For two decades, their football team and both basketball teams put ineligible athletes on the court - occasionally against our teams.

Truth

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Shame they couldn't get better results with that one. If you are going to cheat (egregiously so), at least make it worth your trouble.

Reaction Score

I never said they didn't deserve what they are going to get, I'm just not going to gloat about it.

Reaction Score
UV's problem's? I missed this. I see that they are having a review of their accreditation, but it is unclear as to why. What's the thumb nail version?
Some issues with board members. Wasnt really related to athletics as far as I'm aware. There was a lot of shake up in the administration a couple years earlier when I was there, but I don't think they were ever really in danger of losing accreditation

Reaction Score
Here's what UNC should do to start to dig their way out of this mess. Give up their membership in the ACC to UConn - as reparations - and petition to rejoin after serving a self imposed suspension.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I knew we had a chance in 2009! Dyson or w/o Dyson, that UNC team had flaws!

Reaction Score
Nothing meaningful will happen to UNC over this.
Sadly, this is exactly how I feel.

They should be given something close to the death penalty: loss of scholarships, postseason bans, 2005 and 2009 titles vacated, the myriad FFs as well...but they won't.

Reaction Score
The academic counselors gave a presentation to all the coaches which outlined the extent of the cheating. It says so right there in the Wainstain report, and it says this took place upon Crowder's retirement.

Is there even an argument here?

Reaction Score

Thumb nail is that the newly appointed head of the BOT, a realtor from Richmond, decided to carve out a huge chunk from the budget to start her own university department (a bogus program), and to end other departments on campus.

Accreditors rely on faculty/administrative approval for new departments, etc., simply because someone has to actually analyze and validate that such a field with actual credentialed professionals even exists. You can't invent disciplines out of wholecloth in academia. This is similar to the whole question as to whether playing football constitutes an academic discipline similar to, say, a music degree. Academic departments don't simply pop up because of a realtor's "bright" idea. So the UVa president resigned over this because the BOT violated not only the university by-laws but also national accreditation processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom