Taisun Phommachanh to UMass | The Boneyard

Taisun Phommachanh to UMass

Reaction Score
1673918810886.png

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Why would this hurt? He never wanted to come here due to his brother and quite frankly, he didn't show much with a lot more talent at Clemson
Well...not to disparage Tyler, but everyone pretty much considers Taisun the better quarterback. He may have stumbled at Clemson...but he at least has the same skills as Tyler but in a bigger body. He was a four star out if HS (I know I know..stars don't necessarily matter).

So...the "that hurts" is because not only didn't we get the better brother, but he went to a neighbor school that we play every year that is considered the worst in FBS. We could have had a shot at him, except Tyler is here.

As I said....time will tell, but on face value UMass appears to have gotten the better... bigger Phommachanh brother.

Reaction Score
Well...not to disparage Tyler, but everyone pretty much considers Taisun the better quarterback. He may have stumbled at Clemson...but he at least has the same skills as Tyler but in a bigger body. He was a four star out if HS (I know I know..stars don't necessarily matter).

So...the "that hurts" is because not only didn't we get the better brother, but he went to a neighbor school that we play every year that is considered the worst in FBS. We could have had a shot at him, except Tyler is here.

As I said....time will tell, but on face value UMass appears to have gotten the better... bigger Phommachanh brother.
Don’t lose any sleep over it.

Reaction Score

We scooped up our guy from Maine. All good. Seriously, assuming he is 100%, that’s a huge score for UMass. Kid is legit.

Reaction Score
He should get a chance to compete for a spot there - but this is a case of a player that was ranked highly out of high school that has not performed well at all when given opportunities. I don’t think that is going to change at UMASS.

Reaction Score
He should get a chance to compete for a spot there - but this is a case of a player that was ranked highly out of high school that has not performed well at all when given opportunities. I don’t think that is going to change at UMASS.
He has not really had a chance to play. He threw for a total of 48 passes in 3 years at Clemson and 5 passes at Georgia Tech last season. At Clemson, he played behind the #1 QB in the class of 2018, Trevor Lawrence and the #1 QB in the class of 2020, DJ Uiagalelei, not to mention playing behind Chase Brice the #17 pro QB his first year at Clemson. At GT, they had Jeff Sims as the starter although the GT offense was a train wreck last year.

In my opinion, Taisun staying at Clemson for 3 years was too long given the QB talent they were bringing in. (Clemson brought in the #1 QB in the class of 2022, Cade Klubnik.) He should have left quicker for a school where he had a better chance of starting as that was not in the cards at Clemson.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone knows how good Taisun can be so we'll see how he does at UMass.

Reaction Score
Good for UMass. Nice pick up fore them. Taisun is like Roberson. Very highly rated, but hasn't had the chance to show his skills at this level. Hopefully he gets the opportunity to shine at UMass that he didn't get at Clemson or GT.

Reaction Score
Don Brown is going all in on making UMass Last Chance U and bringing in a bunch of P5 backups. This is a great benefit for the players as in the past the main option was Juco.

Reaction Score
The current starter at UMass is pretty solid and getting better. It will be interesting to see how that QB battle plays out.
They also have a 3* Palm Beach Florida H.S. QB and a FCS Transfer QB from Western Carolina coming in. They’ll have the bodies for open season on the position.

Reaction Score
Why would this hurt? He never wanted to come here due to his brother and quite frankly, he didn't show much with a lot more talent at Clemson
This was a highly sought after QB. The competition at Clemsom was a very high level. His participation was limited but I thought he looked part when he got his few snaps.

He is a MASSIVE upgrade at UMess.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the rule on how many games played cost you a season?

He played in 2 games this year, 5 in 2021, 4 in 2020 and 3 in 2019, so he may have more than one year of eligibility with the 2020 Covid year not counting.

That would be great for him, but realistically he's like the poster boy for how badly your playing career can be damaged by going to a "name" school and never playing.

Hopefully he chose a major that will provide him with a career path after football because he has one or at most two years to become (at the worst school in football) what he and many others thought he was when he went to Clemson.

As a positive for him, Tom Brady almost never played his first two years at UM but was the starter for his last two. Tyler Phommachanh has had four years of mop up time but maybe Don Brown will make him great.

Reaction Score
I believe he also has been injured quite a bit.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom