Syracuse Game Preview | The Boneyard

Syracuse Game Preview

Reaction Score
#15 Syracuse vs UConn at MSG on November 15th at 7pm
2018-19 Record (2-0, wins at home against Eastern Washington (66-34 Box Score) and Morehead State (84-70 Box Score))
Team stats through 2 Games
75 Points Scored Per Game, 52 Points Allowed Per Game, +12.5 Rebounds Per Game Differential, 1.09 Assist to Turnover Ratio

Key Players to Watch

Oshae Brissett- Brissett is a 6'8 forward who can score off the dribble and get to the free throw line. His combination of size and strength along with his great rebounding abilities will make for a tough matchup for UConn. He comes into the game averaging 18.5 points and 10.5 rebounds per game in 32.5 minutes per game. He is not an incredibly efficient scorer, only shooting 35.4% from the field last season. He does get to the free throw line at a high rate which helps him rack up points (78.7 FT% last season).

Tyus Battle- Battle is a 6'6 guard who led Syracuse in scoring last season with 19.2 PPG in 39 MPG. He is at his best when attacking the basket off the dribble and he isn't a great outside shooter (career 33.8% from 3). Like Brissett, he isn't an extremely efficient scorer who has questionable shot selection at times (39.9% FG last season). He has great size as a guard but hopefully our guards will be able to get into his face and force him to turnover the ball (.875 AST/TO).

Paschal Chukwu- Chukwu is a 7'2 center who has unmatched size against the UConn big men. In the 2017-18 season he averaged 5.4 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 2.5 BPG in 27.2 MPG. His height and wingspan allow him to affect shots in the paint, his 11.9% Block Percentage ranked 10th in the NCAA last year according to KenPom. Our big men have not seen a player of his size yet this year and it should be a good test for our shorter big men to compete with him in the paint and on the boards.

Game Overview- Syracuse is a fantastic team and their zone will challenge the Huskies in this early season test. I think the key to this game is going to be how well our guards can disrupt Syracuse guards. Tyus Battle and Jalen Carey will be relied on to handle the ball assuming Frank Howard is not available. Ball security may be an issue for Syracuse, Jalen Carey had 4 turnovers in just 15 minutes against Morehead State. Jalen Adams has impressed me with his defensive intensity through 2 games and our depth at the guard position will allow us to get in their face the whole game and be disruptive. If we can turn them over and get out in transition it will make their zone less of a factor. If Syracuse is able to slow the game down and control the tempo, we will struggle and their size and rebounding abilities will take over. Our 3 point shooting has looked solid through 2 games, excluding Vital we are shooting nearly 50% from 3. Syracuse is not a great 3 point shooting team and one of their best shooters, Buddy Boeheim, has struggled mightily from 3 (1-10 through 2 games). Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses and it will make for an exciting early season game between 2 passionate squads.

Predictions- In my opinion, Syracuse's best player is going to be Brissett and we will struggle to matchup with him. I am interested to see how Hurley game plans for him and his skillset. I think Whaley may be our best option against him due to his athleticism and defensive versatility (2 blocks in 7 minutes against Morehead State). In my somewhat biased opinion, I think Jalen Adams will be the best player on the court tomorrow night and he will rise to the occasion and show the NCAA that he is an elite player on the national level. UConn will speed up Syracuse and get out in transition to win 72-68.

Linked below is a good preview from a Syracuse fan
Game Preview

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44