Syracuse fires Fine | The Boneyard

Syracuse fires Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AP is reporting that Bernie Fine has been fired.

@AP The Associated Press

BREAKING: Syracuse University fires assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine -CC

Reaction Score
Wow. That really makes me think that Boeheim might be next. As much as I enjoy seeing Syracuse fans angry, I always respected Boeheim. Sad to see him potentially go out this way.

Reaction Score
what would Boeheim be fired for? This isn't a cover up he just oddly was over the top in his public defense of Fine

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Wow. That really makes me think that Boheim might be next. As much as I enjoy seeing Syracuse fans angry, I always respected Boheim. Sad to see him potentially go out this way.

Let's wait and see what happens. I don't know that Boeheim gets fired for defending his friend if all he knew was an investigation had cleared him. I must admit that I have not read all that much about this, but I hope that Boeheim isn't a victim of political correctness or scapegoating if no evidence of wrongdoing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ooof. Not good. If Boeheim is next, I suspect it will be more a result of his staunch and repeated denials than anything else. Definitely felt he unnecessarily took on too much personal risk with the strength of his unequivocal comments. Bottom line is you never know. Really sad if he goes out this way.

Reaction Score
No way does Boeheim get off on this scot free, he called the alleged victims liars who have told a thousand lies and are only looking for money. This third new victim also claims to have been molested on team road trips.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I wish i wasnt banned from the Cuse board right now, They must be bricks.

Reaction Score
I admit it may be a bit premature to say Boeheim is gone, but there have been a few reports saying that his job may be in jeopardy. Though he may be entirely innocent, it was foolish of him to so vehemently attack the victims in his defense of Bernie Fine. That alone may cost him his job.

Reaction Score
The SU administration will now have to investigate what was known back in early 2000s and who knew it... These kids were SU ballboys so this is on their turf in a way... Moreso than if it was off campus stuff... If Boeheim knew anything, he is gone...

Reaction Score
Go to the other Cuse site that is linked on the front page. They are all their pants like crazy, I can smell it through my computer.

Reaction Score
what would Boeheim be fired for? This isn't a cover up

Not known at this point.

Again, like Paterno, there's the issue that these coaches are so powerful they just might know everything going on.

Reaction Score
Well, I said Fine wouldn't be around for our 1st game just a few hours ago. Wish I had bet on it.

I'll say this about Boeheim:

He's done. If the Paterno thing had never happened, then he might have skated on this. But given the Paterno thing, and the new awareness about complicity that it has engendered, JB would have to be squeaky clean to survive this.

Based on his, retrospectively, asinine and rather aggressive comments, he's likely not clean.

Odds:
80% he's done at the end of this year.
15% he's done before the end of this year.
5% he makes it until November 2012.

Reaction Score
I really can't believe that Boeheim put himself in this position. He could have just issued a vanilla press release. But he couldn't help himself. He called the accusers, possible victims of sexual assault, liars who were out for money. Just reckless because unless Boeheim was around Fine 24/7 he has no idea what happened. And now Fine has been fired from the school.

Reaction Score
I really can't believe that Boeheim put himself in this position. He could have just issued a vanilla press release. But he couldn't help himself. He called the accusers, possible victims of sexual assault, liars who were out for money. Just reckless because unless Boeheim was around Fine 24/7 he has no idea what happened. And now Fine has been fired from the school.
I'd put money on Calhoun behaving similarly in said situation

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Boeheim completely siding with Fine by calling out the victims may actually save his job. He could stand by the fact that he didn't know of anything hence why he defended him so vehemently.

Who knows

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Boeheim and the school are clean as of now.

There are enough conflicting stories out there now to keep the sportsworld hopping for another week.

This is getting as bad as the Catholic Church scandal. For every legitimate victim there is a gold digger and a team of lawyers on both sides willing to leak unsubstantiated crap to the press to taint the jury pool.

>> Tomaselli, who faces sexual assault charges in Maine involving a 14-year-old boy, said during a telephone interview with The Associated Press that he signed an affidavit accusing Fine following a meeting with Syracuse police last week in Albany.

Tomaselli's father, meanwhile, maintains his son is lying.

However, during a phone interview with the AP, Fred Tomaselli said: "I'm 100 percent sure that Bernie Fine was never in contact with Zach. He never went to Pittsburgh to a game, never been to that arena."

"I brought him to a couple of games in Syracuse. We always sat in the nosebleed section and left after the game. He never stayed for any overnighters and never even got within shouting distance of Bernie." <<

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'd put money on Calhoun behaving similarly in said situation
Well assuming Blaney would be the analog here, yeah I'd expect Calhoun to defend him to the hilt. I know that you never really know, but I'd also say that Blaney would be about the safest bet to never be involved in anything repulsive like this.

Reaction Score
Well assuming Blaney would be the analog here, yeah I'd expect Calhoun to defend him to the hilt. I know that you never really know, but I'd also say that Blaney would be about the safest bet to never be involved in anything repulsive like this.
Yea i wasn't implicating anyone, just making the point that Boeheim and Calhoun are both very loyal guys

Reaction Score
Well, I said Fine wouldn't be around for our 1st game just a few hours ago. Wish I had bet on it.

I'll say this about Boeheim:

He's done. If the Paterno thing had never happened, then he might have skated on this. But given the Paterno thing, and the new awareness about complicity that it has engendered, JB would have to be squeaky clean to survive this.

Based on his, retrospectively, asinine and rather aggressive comments, he's likely not clean.

Odds:
80% he's done at the end of this year.
15% he's done before the end of this year.
5% he makes it until November 2012.

Wow real time VEGAS odds!!!!!!!! I feel like I'm at the Wynn!! These are the over/under odds!!!!!!! Do you have exclusive rights to this action? I only ask because if another book gets involved I don't want any air moves. I was thinking of arbitraging this and making a combination of bets!! My ATS on baskets is 88% so this will be challenging!!!!!!!

Is there anything else up on the board right now?

If possible please put some props or exotics up for us on this action. ;)

Reaction Score
There's a lot more going on. The heat comes from two angles. One, the current investigation by the Feds apparently found some more evidence in Bernie's home. If there are other kids involved, then there will be more pressure on the Cuse. The second angle is the infighting between the SPD and DA over the old investigations, as well as the in-house investigation by Syracuse. Whatever was known in that report had to be passed onto both Cuse's President and Boeheim.

Reaction Score
Yea i wasn't implicating anyone, just making the point that Boeheim and Calhoun are both very loyal guys

Loyalty has little to do with it when you're representing a university. All the media needs to do to bring heat on Cuse is have ABC say, "The head coach, Boeheim, called the victims as liars." Then half the country will think he was covering things up.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

I'm sure you are right about Blaney, but we are discovering that sometimes we don't know people nearly as well as we think we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom