Syracus Pitt Future? | The Boneyard

Syracus Pitt Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Syracuse will be fine as long as Boeheim is there. Pitt leaned heavily on NYC for recruiting, and may have trouble keeping that pipeline open now. Vtech, Miami and BCU were not good in the Big East. They had good teams here and there, but they were not good.

Reaction Score
Given that the guy who created the New York pipeline for them is back on their bench I'm not sure why it'd dry up. They'll still get to play at MSG. Now they just play at Carolina and Duke instead of UConn and Villanova.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pitt should be OK. Cuse is on borrowed time.

Reaction Score
Similar to BC. I have to admit I am going to enjoy watching it happen.

Reaction Score
Jamie Dixon is going to look creepier and creepier as he ages because he hasn't figured out what to do with his hair. That more than anything will keep them down. He is a middle-aged Bo Ryan 5 years away from looking exactly like Bo Ryan. And both these guys have similar experiences in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Well since this is based primarily on recruiting.....id say Syracuse is in as good of shape possible​

Reaction Score
Given that the guy who created the New York pipeline for them is back on their bench I'm not sure why it'd dry up. They'll still get to play at MSG. Now they just play at Carolina and Duke instead of UConn and Villanova.
Who and when are they going to play at MSG? You sure you didn't mean Barclays Center?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
BC had a run of about 20 years where they were consistently decent. They've been horrific for the last 4-5 years. Donahue's a good coach, but the eroding support and Skinner's last couple years really hurt them. Skinner was unsuccessful in getting even one first year player to commit his last year there.

Reaction Score
Can we stop with this? Both are certainly in a better place than we are at this point, in regards to the long term viability of their athletics programs.
Yes BC 's athletic dept is on solid ground financially sucking off the ACC teat. Their BB team stinks, will stink and has no support. Football a little better off. Hockey is the sport there and has nothing to do with the ACC. And yes, UConn would be better off there but it is still satisfying to berate them until we get a P5 invite.

Reaction Score
Pitt doesn't have a single ESPN top 100 recruit committed for next year. I don't know what that means - they never tore up the recruiting trail even when they were in the Big East - but I think it's fair to wonder if they'll have the same success in the ACC.

Syracuse is going to have to answer the same questions we did (and still are) in regards to replacing a legend. But that would have happened regardless of whether they were in the Big East or ACC. If I had to bet on one of the two programs moving forward, it would be Syracuse. They've always been the better program, though.

caw

Reaction Score
Pitt doesn't have a single ESPN top 100 recruit committed for next year. I don't know what that means - they never tore up the recruiting trail even when they were in the Big East - but I think it's fair to wonder if they'll have the same success in the ACC.

Syracuse is going to have to answer the same questions we did (and still are) in regards to replacing a legend. But that would have happened regardless of whether they were in the Big East or ACC. If I had to bet on one of the two programs moving forward, it would be Syracuse. They've always been the better program, though.

Almost word for word what I would have said.

caw

Reaction Score
Well since this is based primarily on recruiting.....id say Syracuse is in as good of shape possible​

2014 and 2015 yes, great recruiting, under the assumption Boeheim stays and thus none reconsider. The question as always is how things go once Boeheim goes. There is no answer. Some assistants look great and just fail, some come out of the blue and succeed. Only time will answer this for Cuse.

caw

Reaction Score
Jamie Dixon is going to look creepier and creepier as he ages because he hasn't figured out what to do with his hair. That more than anything will keep them down. He is a middle-aged Bo Ryan 5 years away from looking exactly like Bo Ryan. And both these guys have similar experiences in the tourney.

Borrow Cooleys hat.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

He's moving into "Prisoners of Their Hairdo" territory and the window of escape is closing. Currently in clear 3rd place behind Lavin & Donovan.

Reaction Score

Well Pitt did get a top 20 2016 player at the beginning of the year. The kicker: it's a CT kid. SF Mustapha Heron. Agree they normally never recruited at an extremely high level per recruiting rankings. Anything can change with a verbal, but for the time being this is certainly a nice early haul for them.

Reaction Score
Yes BC 's athletic dept is on solid ground financially sucking off the ACC teat. Their BB team stinks, will stink and has no support. Football a little better off. Hockey is the sport there and has nothing to do with the ACC. And yes, UConn would be better off there but it is still satisfying to berate them until we get a P5 invite.
SO are you saying that moving to the ACC will ruin Cuse and Pitt athletically as it did BC?

Reaction Score
When Pitt offered Dixon the contract extension last year I thought they were crazy. Here's a guy that did well during the season but could never get a good tournament win. In fact, Pitt has been just awful in the tourney in the last 10 years - upset after upset. Then, I listened to the press conference and what the alumni said about him; he has consistently moved them forward, he has been honest and trustworthy, he has mentored well and that Dixon earned the contract and to feel comfortable instead of pressured. I liked that and believe he will do better because of it.
Syracuse is just disgusting - from the nose picking coach, his boring zone and early tournament exits to the decaying city where each building is circa 1935. I don't know how they get a single recruit. Yet here they are at 19 - 0 so something is being done right. They are team December though. Cant wait for March.
It's hard to say if either Pitt or Cuse are in a better position for the future than us. IF, and that's a big IF, UConn continues to move towards AAU status and somehow lands a spot in the Big Ten within 2 -3 years, then, we will be better off than them and most in the ACC. If not, we know what happens.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Pitt is an early exit almost every March because they would be as physical as the officials would allow. Big East officials were fairly lenient with that style of basketball. Officials over the rest of the country don't allow as much football on the basketball court and Pitt has a hard time adjusting.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pitt doesn't recruit 4 stars and has a hard time with 3 stars due to their style of play. Other Steven Adams, who Dixon saw in NZ years ago due to family connections, they don't lose players before they turn seniors. Khem Birch left because Dixon didn't automatically give him a position nor gave him any measure of "star" treatment. It's a blue-collar program in a sport where few want to be blue collar. But Dixon is also going to set the record for most 20+ win seasons to start a coaching career, so he must be doing something right.

Have either MacNamara and Devendorf been convicted of a major crime yet? If not, color me surprised.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Right now they are in better shape than UConn because they can suck it up and still have a football program and basket ball program in the future. That's a nice safety net.

I can give you my rational answer or my outside the box answer. I'm going with outside the box (some might think outside the solar system). I'm making the prediction that in the near future, the situation for UConn will be far better than that of Cuse and Pitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom