Sylvia Hatchell and Dawn Staley to be inducted into Naismith HoF | The Boneyard

Sylvia Hatchell and Dawn Staley to be inducted into Naismith HoF

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Thoughts? Staley is being inducted as a player, obviously, and deservedly so. I'm a bit on the fence about Hatchell. Impressive wins total, won the NC in 1994, but was she especially memorable, influential, or historically great? Debatable, IMO.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thoughts?? Well congratulations to Staley, she definitely deserves it. Before I was a Duke wcbb fan, my favorite team was UVA... and Staley was the reason for that. It pained me to no end to see them lose in three straight final fours. I remember thinking that if UVA didnt get a title during those 3 seasons, then UVA would never get another chance to win one. My dislike for Stanford and Tennessee began during this stretch, and it remains today ;)

As for Hatchell ?? Well congratulations to Staley.. she definitely deserves it. :p

Reaction Score
Congratulations to both Coach Hatchell and to Coach Staley.

900 wins is 900 wins. It would not look good if the Hall of Fame omitted coaches with such gaudy win totals. It would be like th 4.0 student who is refused induction into the Honor Society. it just does not look right. To answer a question about being influential, memorable, or historically great, it is possible that in the state of North Carolina and within the inner sanctums of WCBB, Ms Hatchell is all that and more.

Dawn Staley had a stellar career at Virginia. While playing for the Cavaliers her teams were 2-0 against UConn including the national semifinal in 1991. Yet, if I was picking an all opponent team, Ms Staley would be conspicuously absent. Her two games agains the Huskies were nothing to write home about. It just goes to show....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Congratulations to both Coach Hatchell and to Coach Staley.

900 wins is 900 wins. It would not look good if the Hall of Fame omitted coaches with such gaudy win totals. It would be like th 4.0 student who is refused induction into the Honor Society. it just does not look right. To answer a question about being influential, memorable, or historically great, it is possible that in the state of North Carolina and within the inner sanctums of WCBB, Ms Hatchell is all that and more.

:rolleyes: No, its not possible.

Reaction Score
Why so long on Dawn to get in?

Since she is going in as a player, I do not believe she is eligible until five years after she retires. If my math is correct, given how late the WNBA season runs and how early in the year the inductees are named, Ms Staley, quite likely, got in on the first ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom