Sybil Dosty said it well | The Boneyard

Sybil Dosty said it well

Reaction Score
A few things I take away from this posting---Pat and Geno, as GPostal said, are similar in practices and life lessons.
"I learned to take criticism---toughest lesson in life,: all criticism isn't positive--there those that know how to apply criticism those that can't "
The light in her head went on ---and she said--I get it now---If you are human, thoughtful, and
understanding--that light will come on--Pat, Geno, Professor X, Teach M, Pastor Y--That's what they meant, I get it now.

Thanks Rocky, I expected a Ho-Hum Vols kissy piece--but it proved Great coaches work in the interest of the players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A post like this highlights how similar the coaching philosophies of Pat and Geno are. This just as easily could have been written by a Huskies transfer.
Or truthfully about any good coach or teacher! (or boss)
We tend to look at the success of a program, or the results of students achievement tests as the measure of the coach/teacher. And the future pursuit of the subject or the sport by those in the class/program as the long term reflection. But 95+ percent of players/students never pursue the sport/subject beyond HS/College and the value they derive from participation is all about 'life' lessons.

Most of us reflect on our education and can pick out specific teachers who 'made a difference' to us - and most of them taught us subjects that had nothing to do with our careers.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think the lessons both Pat and Geno did teach. Are why they are the most successful coaches in WCBB. As Sybil said sometimes it's later when one really understands it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A post like this highlights how similar the coaching philosophies of Pat and Geno are. This just as easily could have been written by a Huskies transfer.

This could just have easily been written by Geno Daughter also:

" My dad, who moved with his family to the United States from Italy when he was 7, taught me the value of going for what you want and of being self-reliant. He had to develop a thick skin and a relentless work ethic in order to survive in this new country."

Watching my dad coach women's basketball helped me become a feminist

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think this goes a long way towards explaining why Pat Summit was such a successful coach despite not having a very creative offensive system. In every dimension except that one, Geno and Pat taught the same things, and taught them more effectively that any other two WCBB coaches in the country. Tennessee teams under Pat went all out for 40 minutes, played tenacious defense, never conceded rebounds, and never lacked fitness for a game against the most demanding opponent. Other coaches ran better offenses than Tennessee but still lost to them because the effort and intensity level was not the same. Geno would have lost as well if his teams had not matched the LV's level of intensity and fitness.

Having an advantage in the X's and O's of the game is a second-order effect in basketball, subject to being overwhelmed by first-order effects such as hustle, intensity, and commitment (not to mention raw athletic talent, but a number of teams have that each year). Geno and Pat both understood that.

Reaction Score
Or truthfully about any good coach or teacher! (or boss)
We tend to look at the success of a program, or the results of students achievement tests as the measure of the coach/teacher. And the future pursuit of the subject or the sport by those in the class/program as the long term reflection. But 95+ percent of players/students never pursue the sport/subject beyond HS/College and the value they derive from participation is all about 'life' lessons.

Most of us reflect on our education and can pick out specific teachers who 'made a difference' to us - and most of them taught us subjects that had nothing to do with our careers.

Those who have taught and some of those that received the imparted "wisdom" understand your highlighted portion above. Success is a highly used word, but rarely fully understood. If we live long enough, we can each define where we succeeded and where we didn't--
And as you pointed out--the hand, or phrase extended to us --that provide the guidance we needed.
I believe what each poster has said--relative to the initial premise- adds importance to it.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think this goes a long way towards explaining why Pat Summit was such a successful coach despite not having a very creative offensive system. In every dimension except that one, Geno and Pat taught the same things, and taught them more effectively that any other two WCBB coaches in the country. Tennessee teams under Pat went all out for 40 minutes, played tenacious defense, never conceded rebounds, and never lacked fitness for a game against the most demanding opponent. Other coaches ran better offenses than Tennessee but still lost to them because the effort and intensity level was not the same. Geno would have lost as well if his teams had not matched the LV's level of intensity and fitness.

Having an advantage in the X's and O's of the game is a second-order effect in basketball, subject to being overwhelmed by first-order effects such as hustle, intensity, and commitment (not to mention raw athletic talent, but a number of teams have that each year). Geno and Pat both understood that.
Coach Bobby Knight said this about Pat. "If I were to pick the top three or four coaches. Who taught the game of basketball the game of basketball. The best during my time in coaching Pat Summitt would be one of them."

Reaction Score

I think a big contribution to Pat's success was being an early adopter. Pat established her program in the days, when coaches weren't even considering women's basketball as a viable occupation. She suffered through low pay and little support. But, as Ben Franklin said, energy and persistence conquer all things.

Once her mystique was in full bloom, she was able to have the pick of the recruiting litter at a time when skilled players were in relatively short supply. So, first pick didn't leave much for anyone else.

Having top talent makes up for a lot of shortcomings. So the few flaws in Pat's abilities were covered up by all the talent.

Today it's much more difficult to produce a winning team. There are so many gifted players, and no one coach can get them all. Coaching salaries have bloomed and more capable candidates are on the scene. Today, coaches have become the most important factor for success. Even though recruits may be more physically gifted, their skill level and attitude doesn't measure up to yesterday. It takes strong coaching ability to properly analyze recruits and convince them what needs to be done to achieve their, and the team's goals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom