Swoopes fired | The Boneyard

Swoopes fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Five players transferred after a 6-25 season in 2014-15, and 10 more after a 14-16 mark this season.

Zowie.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Too bad. I really like Swoopes but she apparently didn't learn much from Marsha Sharp when it comes to coaching. Sharp was a good coach who always exhibited patience and respect for her players and was about as good of an example as one could ask for.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Five players transferred after a 6-25 season in 2014-15, and 10 more after a 14-16 mark this season.

Zowie.

Another quote from that noted NFL coach, and Hall of Fame philosopher Bill Parcells: "A team divided against itself can break down at any moment. The least bit of pressure or adversity will crack it apart".

This is 2016. Players today are not going to accept or put up with what Swoops was doing. This is the age of the transfer! Here today, gone tomorrow. Misuse me, threaten me, disrespect me, mock me, humiliate me, shame me (in public), lie to me, throw me (us) under the bus, I'm out. If you don't think I'm leaving, count the days I'm gone. Obviously Swoops' style did not go over well at Loyola. Mass defections are proof positive that something is not right within a given program. Before, players would stick it out, wait and hope things got better. Not today. Remember this line from a song: "This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius"? Well THIS is the dawning of the age of the transfer!. Today's players will transfer much quicker today, than in days of yore. This is evidenced by all of the transfers the last 2-3 years. Swoops is toxic right now. I doubt any AD or coach (in his/her right mind) would hire her today.

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Loyola took a risk when the hired her... what's interesting is that they improved under her. I wonder how much mentoring/training she had... Cooper's first coaching gig was a disaster because she couldn't get out of the "let me show you 'cause I can do it so much better" head into a COACHING head. that being said, re: Cooper, seems her coaching style still leaves a lot to be desired.

Reaction Score
It should be a little awkward avoiding mention of her coaching career in September when she is inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I have no problem extolling excellence in athletics but while it should end there the media and the advertisers who pay them have a long history of promoting them into heroic figures, role models for children, and the fans are eager to deify them. There's a symbiotic relationship between popular athletics and the media that covers them.Star athletes sell cereal. And cereal manufacturers advertise through the media. And we end up with Johnny Manziel, who goes from "Johnny Football", the personification of Jack Armstrong, into "druggie and alleged abuser of women" in a few short years. Why was he made into the all-American boy, freshman winner of the Heisman? Simply because he led his team to some big wins and drew viewers to TV?

Bill Reiter of CBSSports writes a column that ends with this:

So as his life plays out for all of us to take in as some kind of television show for our bemusement- and, so far, falls apart - try and do this: Root for Manziel. Root for him because you're rooting for all of us. We all have demons. We all contributed in a small way to this. We all, of nothing else, should root for those who stumbled and couldn't quite recover.

Celebrating and sharing Johnny Manziel's rise gives us all a role in his collapse

We may all have contributed, but some contributed far more than others. And despite his contrite words I'll wager that this coming fall he and his colleagues will be anointing another demi-god who will decorate a cereal box and find himself or herself on the cover of People Magazine.

Most of us get our contact with elite athletes through the filter of the media. Often that filter fills with debris.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It should be a little awkward avoiding mention of her coaching career in September when she is inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I have no problem extolling excellence in athletics but while it should end there the media and the advertisers who pay them have a long history of promoting them into heroic figures, role models for children, and the fans are eager to deify them. There's a symbiotic relationship between popular athletics and the media that covers them.Star athletes sell cereal. And cereal manufacturers advertise through the media. And we end up with Johnny Manziel, who goes from "Johnny Football", the personification of Jack Armstrong, into "druggie and alleged abuser of women" in a few short years. Why was he made into the all-American boy, freshman winner of the Heisman? Simply because he led his team to some big wins and drew viewers to TV?

Bill Reiter of CBSSports writes a column that ends with this:

Celebrating and sharing Johnny Manziel's rise gives us all a role in his collapse

We may all have contributed, but some contributed far more than others. And despite his contrite words I'll wager that this coming fall he and his colleagues will be anointing another demi-god who will decorate a cereal box and find himself or herself on the cover of People Magazine.

Most of us get our contact with elite athletes through the filter of the media. Often that filter fills with debris.

Well done Alydar. Let us not forget that Swoops was inducted as a player, not as a coach. It's a proven fact that sometimes the best players do not always make the best coaches. Look at the iconic coaches down through the annals of sports history. Most of them were not great (or even good) players. i.e., Pat Summitt, Geno Auriemma, John Wooden, Tara Van derveer, Sylvia Hatchell, Jody Conradt, Bill Parcells, Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichick, Pat Riley, Red Auerbach, CaseyStingell, Phil Jackson. I could go on, but you get my drift. It would certainly appear that Swoops' skills between the lines did not translate to her skills along them.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Loyola took a risk when the hired her... what's interesting is that they improved under her. I wonder how much mentoring/training she had... Cooper's first coaching gig was a disaster because she couldn't get out of the "let me show you 'cause I can do it so much better" head into a COACHING head. that being said, re: Cooper, seems her coaching style still leaves a lot to be desired.
Well, she's not an "all-star" coach for sure, but seems to stay over .500.

Interesting story - RU had played Prairie View and as she was walking off the floor, Cooper turned around, approached Epiphanny Prince (who was lined up for the alma mater) and signaled her (and clearly mouthed at her) "you need to shoot more". I don't see anything wrong with it, it was probably true at that point in Prince's career, but it was odd.

Incidentally, when I just looked up her record on NCAA.org I noticed she graduated from Prairie View when she took the job. I think a lot of folks don't realize how many of the old time players never graduated. Sue Wicks was a Rutgers example, but I know there were others.

Reaction Score
Well they hired her with miniscule coaching experience. Then they just turn her loose for a few years. No mentoring? No performance appraisals? No monitoring? I've said this a few times now on this board: an AD hires someone, it's his/her responsibility to lead and coach her into success, but they seldom take any responsibility in these situations.
Peter principle sure, but at least in industry Peter's boss is also held accountable (usually).

Reaction Score
Well done Alydar. Let us not forget that Swoops was inducted as a player, not as a coach. It's a proven fact that sometimes the best players do not always make the best coaches. Look at the iconic coaches down through the annals of sports history. Most of them were not great (or even good) players. i.e., Pat Summitt, Geno Auriemma, John Wooden, Tara Van derveer, Sylvia Hatchell, Jody Conradt, Bill Parcells, Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichick, Pat Riley, Red Auerbach, CaseyStingell, Phil Jackson. I could go on, but you get my drift. It would certainly appear that Swoops' skills between the lines did not translate to her skills along them.

Well stated. As I said, I have no problem recognizing athletic excellence.

skills between the lines did not translate to her skills along them

I hope that when the time comes to hire Geno's successor the decision-makers remember that point.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Well they hired her with miniscule coaching experience. Then they just turn her loose for a few years. No mentoring? No performance appraisals? No monitoring? I've said this a few times now on this board: an AD hires someone, it's his/her responsibility to lead and coach her into success, but they seldom take any responsibility in these situations.
Peter principle sure, but at least in industry Peter's boss is also held accountable (usually).
Swoopes was more popular and powerful than the AD... it's not like she was hired for the UConn coaching position. A program that's trying to come up would take Swoopes no questions asked. ummmm Tyler Summitt

Carnac

Reaction Score
Swoopes was more popular and powerful than the AD... it's not like she was hired for the UConn coaching position. A program that's trying to come up would take Swoopes no questions asked. ummmm Tyler Summitt

Tyler Summitt....is that a question? :eek: He's toxic too. As my late mother-in-law use to say: He crapped then stepped back in it. Summitt should not be on anyone's radar at this point. The incident that caused his departure from LSU is still fresh. No AD in their right mind should consider hiring him at this point. Maybe as an assistant in a Div. 2 or 3 men's program, but not in any women's program at any level.

No doubt Loyola will have a plethora of viable, up and coming young coaches that would love the opportunity to resurrect that program. No doubt their phones have been ring off the hook with would-be suitors since this story broke.

Reaction Score
Well stated. As I said, I have no problem recognizing athletic excellence.

I hope that when the time comes to hire Geno's successor the decision-makers remember that point.
I seem to remember that John Wooden was a 3-time All American at Purdue. It doesn't get much better than that!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

But the theory holds that the "Peter" is left in the incompetent state. In sports the "Peter" may be ousted (Swoopes)...or not (McCallie).

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I seem to remember that John Wooden was a 3-time All American at Purdue. It doesn't get much better than that!

He was; John Wooden also didn't see great success until he had been at UCLA for about 15 years. If he were hired today he might not have been there more than 5 years.

Reaction Score
Too bad. I really like Swoopes but she apparently didn't learn much from Marsha Sharp when it comes to coaching. Sharp was a good coach who always exhibited patience and respect for her players and was about as good of an example as one could ask for.

I bought my house from a realtor who said he coached girl's HS BB. He said he hated it. Some of the girl's didn't want to put in the work to be good players.

"You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink it"

Reaction Score
He was; John Wooden also didn't see great success until he had been at UCLA for about 15 years. If he were hired today he might not have been there more than 5 years.

Wooden would still be in the same place he was when he was coaching.

He was the best men's BB coach in history..PERIOD!

The BS fan's drove him out and he stopped coaching on his own terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom