Swish: Hatchell out-coached in Delaware game | The Boneyard

Swish: Hatchell out-coached in Delaware game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I saw some quotes from Hatchell today: Paraphrasing here...she would like to see how UDel
does on a neutral floor. There was a foul disparity and Sylvia told her team that this game was an example of how life isn't fair.

Her recent Carolina teams have underachieved with the best of them...imo.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe that Tina Martin could outcoach anyone.
I tend to agree, but Sylvia was on the other bench. It would not have happened against ND, Stanford, Baylor, Michigan, Marist, et al.

What was Sylvia's stupid comment after we blitzed them by 50?

Reaction Score

And yet Delaware outscored West Virgina 40-20 in the second half due to coaching decision adjustments, and UNC 45-26 in the second half due to the same. The second halves in Newark were Delaware 85, WVU/UNC 46. Hmmm. Who got out coached?

Rebecca Lobo observed a UD practice and tweeted how Martin could really coach.

Martin has 4 NCAA appearances at UD, something like 11 20-win seasons at UD. Not a bad record and probably much more favorable than Rizzotti's at Hartford by way of comparison.

I think that statement is just a "she got lucky with EDD" view which is no doubt true, but the facts and adjustments this past weekend suggests that perhaps the Blue Hens are not quite the one-woman outcoached out-of-shape team some had suggested.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tina Martin has done a fine job assembling this team and raising the quality of Delaware women's basketball. She made the approriate coaching changes mid game in both the first two round games against WVU and UNC to overcome rough first halves. She has done nothing to deserve flack for Delaware's perfromance in the tournament.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
IIRC, Deleware was one of the several teams that challenged ODU in the CAA as the program faded, along with the slightly more successful challenger at the time, JMU. Certainly pre EDD.

While it is difficult to put too much stock in what announcers say (duh), I believe they have always had good things to say about Tina Martin.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I remember in the preseason WNIT in the 2001-2002 season we thrashed North Carolina in the semi-final.
Hatchell announced after the game that UConn can't play any better than that and we can. Something tells me that
remark made it to a bulletin board at some point.

UConn went on to a 39-0 record....maybe the best college team of all time. I think Carolina got bounced in the sweet sixteen.

Reaction Score
I remember in the preseason WNIT in the 2001-2002 season we thrashed North Carolina in the semi-final.
Hatchell announced after the game that UConn can't play any better than that and we can. Something tells me that

UConn went on to a 39-0 record....maybe the best college team of all time. I think Carolina got bounced in the sweet sixteen.

Are you sure Hatchell said that? I recall Rene Portland saying it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The UDel coach has gone up in my estimation since the last game I saw which was two years ago. Clearly now she has some talent with which to work, (EDD was a DNP in the game that I watched) and that can make all the difference.
As to Hatchell, all I can say is, once you say something, it is out there.

The saying I was told a child is equal parts not hurting others feelings, and not hurting others perception of you: if you cannot say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Reaction Score
EDD is tough matchup for all teams and coaches. She has consistently scored like this throughout her career.

Reaction Score
I cannot believe that Sylvia has the balls to suggest that foul trouble is what made her team lose. If you watched that game you know Elena should of had another 20 free throw attempts as she was being molested by 2 to 3 Carolina players when and when she did not have the ball. The great part about it is her incredible skill set still showed and she put 33 on them. Not the best shooting numbers but 33 non the less.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought Tina was a little overmatched in EDD's first season; I went to a bunch of games, spoke some to an assistant and the local press, and there was a clear consensus.
Didn't pay as much attention last year and this, but she seems to have put together a decent supporting cast and her adjustments in the tourney have been exemplary.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Boy, might Geno's crack come back to haunt if we play them and they give us a game.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Boy, might Geno's crack come back to haunt if we play them and they give us a game.

Vowelguy was paraphrasing Geno remark to Sue B (and long ago to Becca) that "she couldn't guard a chair." He did not say that about another coach. VG was making a joke.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about Tina Martin, but I think Sylvia Hatchell is really not a good coach at all, for the reasons described in the article.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Not sure if I get what you are saying she said. If you trounced her and she said you can't play any better (i.e. you played really well), I don't see what is wrong with that. OTH, maybe you just have to be a UConn fan.

My signature Sylvia quote was the time she was close or leading UConn at the half, and was interviewed exiting the court. Asked what adjustments she would make, she said she didn't need to make any. My wife and I heard the bell of doom tolling as soon as she said it, because Geno was (and did) going to make adjustments.

Never-the-less, I suspect in truth that she is not as bad a coach as many want to make out (and not as good as some think).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not sure if I get what you are saying she said. If you trounced her and she said you can't play any better (i.e. you played really well)

In the Portland case, it came across as "they are as good as they are going to get, but we will improve over the next 4 months."

Reaction Score
1. Until Maya came to Storrs, UConn was 2-5 against North Carolina. The record now stands at 6-5. Was Coach Auriemma being outcoached by Coach Hatchell or did Coach Hatchell have better players?
2. One of UConn's losses to North Carolina was in the 1994 Elite Eight game when UConn as the #1 seed lost to #3 seeded North Carolina who went on to win the national championship. Was Coach Auriemma outcoached in that game? This was pretty much the same UConn team, the exact same starting lineup, that went undefeated the following season; A darn good UConn team.

The answers lie somewhere at and between both extremes. Getting outcoached is a fan/pundit argument as is all the second guessing we tend/love to do. The fact is Delaware beat North Carolina because they played better basketball on Tuesday night. Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, who scored 30 points in the previous tournamanet game against Albany, scored a mere 4 points on 1-13 against Delaware. It does not matter what defensive matchups Coach Hatchell orchestrated, if your senior leader does not show up in a big game, then you are a general fighting a war with limited artillery.

Last edited:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
1. Until Maya came to Storrs, UConn was 2-5 against North Carolina. The record now stands at 6-5. Was Coach Auriemma being outcoached by Coach Hatchell or did Coach Hatchell have better players?
2. One of UConn's losses to North Carolina was in the 1994 Elite Eight game when UConn as the #1 seed lost to #3 seeded North Carolina who went on to win the national championship. Was Coach Auriemma outcoached in that game? This was pretty much the same UConn team, the exact same starting lineup, that went undefeated the following season; A darn good UConn team.

The answers lie somewhere at and between both extremes. Getting outcoached is a fan/pundit argument as is all the second guessing we tend/love to do. The fact is Delaware beat North Carolina because they played better basketball on Tuesday night. Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, who scored 30 points in the previous tournamanet game against Albany, scored a mere 4 points on 1-13 against Delaware. It does not matter what defensive matchups Coach Hatchell orchestrated, if your senior leader does not show up in a big game, then you are general fighting a war with limited artillery.
2-5 record until maya got there?
I'm not really doubting you I would just be curious to know when those wins occured...in what year, cuz it seems to me we have always been able to beat North Carolina...
My memory could be foggy of course

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
2-5 record until maya got there?
I'm not really doubting you I would just be curious to know when those wins occured...in what year, cuz it seems to me we have always been able to beat North Carolina...
My memory could be foggy of course

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

From the UConn Media Guide, Page 89(BTW: I quoted an old media guide in my previous post. UConn is now 7-5 against North Carolina. Also, the first contest between the two schools occurred before Coach Auriemma and Coach Hatchell assumed their current positions)

North Carolina (7-5)
H: 4-1; A; 2-2; N: 1-2

1/12/80 L 51-84 A
3/26/94 L 69-81 N
12/2/95 W 77-62 N
11/15/01 W 94-74 H
11/21/04 L 65-71 N
12/5/05 L 54-77 H
1/15/07 L 76-82 A
1/21/08 W 82-71 H
1/19/09 W 88-58 A
1/9/10 W 88-47 H