Swish: Catchings says 2012 Olympics is significant... | The Boneyard

Swish: Catchings says 2012 Olympics is significant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"It's significant for me because I'm looking at this opportunity as probably my last one with the Olympic team," said Catchings.

LINK

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
She is definitely the "Catch" of the day. A class act and a great representative of women's basketball. Win the gold!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's quite likely that is the same reason Ashja Jones is on the team. I think her age and her contributions were probably considered along with her basketball skills.I'm not saying she doesn't have the chops, just that some of the younger players not selected will have other opportunities.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was fortunate enough to live within a few miles of Duncanville High School where Catchings played her high school basketball. She was something else and still is. She has done an incredible job developing her body. In high school she was very slender and lean and now her physique is very muscular. I must admit that she is one of my all-time favorite players, right up there with BG and Holdsclaw.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Catch is a class act. Does she have another Olympics in her at age 37? I'd say it's problematic.

Those three sitting with her look familiar. Oh, that's right--they were part of the greatest team ever. :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm curious...do the players call Geno by his name or do they call him "coach"?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm curious...do the players call Geno by his name or do they call him "coach"?
I think the UConn players (current and former) call him "Coach."

Catch has know him half her life and seems to feel comfortable using his first name. Perhaps she picked that up from Pat.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think the UConn players (current and former) call him "Coach."

Catch has know him half her life and seems to feel comfortable using his first name. Perhaps she picked that up from Pat.

Is that really what Pat called him? ;)

Reaction Score
After all that she has accomplished, for Catchings to remain as humble and focused on what is really important is inspiring. Very class act. Geno gets to spend his summer with a pretty elite group of players and people. Appears to me that the players won't be keeping track of who wore what uniform in college. Wish others could do the same and just see the USA. Thanks for sharing the story. Glad I decided to open the thread

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
After all that she has accomplished, for Catchings to remain as humble and focused on what is really important is inspiring. Very class act. Geno gets to spend his summer with a pretty elite group of players and people. Appears to me that the players won't be keeping track of who wore what uniform in college. Wish others could do the same and just see the USA. Thanks for sharing the story. Glad I decided to open the thread
Geno will be spoiled by Team USA. When he gets back to Storrs, Breanna will be "the worst freshman in America." :)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Catchings is one of the best players ever.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Catchings is one of the best players ever.

No arguments here! I love watching her suit up for Team USA. She is lethal in so many ways.

The recent WC team was pretty special but the Olympics are a cut above. If this is Catch's last go round she is going to give 110% for the gold. And obviously she has recovered from the foot injury, very good to see.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
No arguments here! I love watching her suit up for Team USA. She is lethal in so many ways.

The recent WC team was pretty special but the Olympics are a cut above. If this is Catch's last go round she is going to give 110% for the gold. And obviously she has recovered from the foot injury, very good to see.
It will be her decision, unless an injury intervenes. I can't conceive of USA basketball excluding her in 2016 if she is able and willing, especially if Geno has anything to say about it. I'm pretty sure that in Geno's mind, she is right up there with DT among the very best of all time, regardless of college affiliation. And I would certainly agree.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It will be her decision, unless an injury intervenes. I can't conceive of USA basketball excluding her in 2016 if she is able and willing, especially if Geno has anything to say about it. I'm pretty sure that in Geno's mind, she is right up there with DT among the very best of all time, regardless of college affiliation. And I would certainly agree.

I said in a recent thread re: 2016 Olympics that I thought Catch might surprise some folks and make the team at the 'advanced' (at least in basketball) age of 37. I agree that with her, it's definitely a possibility. In 2016 it will be another coach, but for his part Geno has often singled out Catch as a player he has always admired, and the one player he would most liked to have coached. I'm quite certain he would put her in the discussion of all-time greats.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Age 37 is pushing it, but I wouldn't rule her out. Catch was dominating last night.

Reaction Score
Geno will be spoiled by Team USA. When he gets back to Storrs, Breanna will be "the worst freshman in America." :)

I thought Lobo was the worst player in America until Kara Wolters showed up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom