Swin named to Naismith Hall of Fame ! ! ! | The Boneyard

Swin named to Naismith Hall of Fame ! ! !

Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion for sure but I was surprised when I saw her name under consideration. Before people come for my head, I'm happy for her, liked watching her play, appreciate her vast accomplishments, and is a great spokesperson for the game of basketball.

I didn't exactly know who are all the former players, men and women, in the HOF so I took a look at the list today and saw some names that I were surprising overall so maybe my HOF expectations are higher than they should be, but I could see some missing names on the women's side that have comparable accomplishments and careers. Hopefully the induction committee has turned a corner in recognizing female players.

That all being said, be proud of her accomplishments UConn fans. What a wonderful honor for her and the school.

Reaction Score
I have been a Swin fan since watching her play in the high school All-America game is Hartford. All five of our recruits played in that game. They included Walters, Jones, Wiliams and someone named Bird. There was also Brianne Stepherson whom I'm friends with that had committed to UConn prior to the Tassk Force, then de-committed. So congratulations Swin.

As I mentioned earlier in this post this means that her number will now get retired by UConn. This brings up another point. UConn has had some great players that have won multi championships in college, in the WNBA and as well as the Olympic Gold.

So who is next on this great list to have their number retired after they enter the Hall of Fame joining Lobo and Cash?

I would assume Maya Moore for sure.
Sue Bird is a given.
As well as Diana Taurasi.
And, I see Tina Charles in the near future.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion for sure but I was surprised when I saw her name under consideration.

Could not agree more! I mean, what does she ever done?

1CC17688-1E41-48F0-B2E5-B1786C7FFC31.jpeg

F18C38C8-88AC-4D2A-AF77-AB1FEAACDF0B.jpeg

And just for fun let’s add two time Olympic gold medalist in one time FIBA gold medalist.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

View attachment 75241
View attachment 75242
And just for fun let’s add two time Olympic gold medalist in one time FIBA gold medalist.
I don't question that she is worthy, particularly given some of the other past inductees with even less of a resume.

That said, she did it "quietly", really, never the star that everyone was making a fuss over. She really wasn't dominant. Everyone who didn't follow her career wasn't "talking about her" the way a Leslie, Cooper, Bird, Moore, etc. got / get talked about.

But I'm not really sure who else has been passed over. Lindsey Whalen got in this year as well. Really? Great player, WBB Hall of Fame for sure, but the Naismith?

And, FWIW, the ultimate odd selection, by a "history" committee, of former Rutgers / Illinois etc. head coach Theresa Grentz to the Naismith Hall of Fame. I repeat my comment about Whalen. Really? Again, not sure who has been left out, but, really?

Still I offer congratulations to all of them for achieving such a high honor.

Reaction Score
Two of my favorites: Swin and Manu. Congrats to all three of 'em.

Reaction Score

View attachment 75241
View attachment 75242
Again, not sure who has been left out, but, really?
Her accomplishments are numerous and I am aware of them. My full post earlier said I was surprised, not that she was undeserving. I took some time to read the other inductees and there are several men with lesser accomplishments who have made it, so maybe my expectations for Naismith HOF were higher than they should be.

As far as who have been left out, Holdsclaw without a doubt. An incredible college career with a less noteworthy professional career, which unfortunately included a terrible situation that has probably been the reason she's not in. We've only had 25 years of professional careers that were visible in the states so I would say going forward some of the inductees will have greater evidence for inclusion. That's not a bad thing, just the reality.

I can think of a few others I would have included when comparing careers to some others who are in but that's not a slight to Cash. I just said I was surprised. Grentz is a surprise to me as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom