"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
From the Dream!

Just saw on ESPN :-(

Hope someone else takes a look at her!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
WNBA prob is $! League does not draw and would rather pay a new player the minimum than a 5 year vet good money.
Unfortunately, that's a common problem among many businesses today.

Reaction Score
It's excessively sweeping to say "the WNBA doesn't draw". In reality it's a mixed bag. LA, Seattle, Phoenix, Minnesota and Connecticut all draw quite well. NY and DC used to, but long-term mismanagement has undercut that former attendance. Although Chicago, Atlanta and Tulsa probably have the worst attendance (outside DC, a rolling disaster), the worst underperformer has to be Indiana, which is consistently one of the best teams in the league on the court, and among the worst at the gate.

There remains a shortage of PGs in the league. If Ketia's willing to take vet minimum, Minnesota, Seattle and Tulsa could use backup PG help this year.

Reaction Score
It's excessively sweeping to say "the WNBA doesn't draw". In reality it's a mixed bag. LA, Seattle, Phoenix, Minnesota and Connecticut all draw quite well. NY and DC used to, but long-term mismanagement has undercut that former attendance. Although Chicago, Atlanta and Tulsa probably have the worst attendance (outside DC, a rolling disaster), the worst underperformer has to be Indiana, which is consistently one of the best teams in the league on the court, and among the worst at the gate.

There remains a shortage of PGs in the league. If Ketia's willing to take vet minimum, Minnesota, Seattle and Tulsa could use backup PG help this year.

Let's not overlook the fact there is a hard salary cap out there. It is easier for some teams to take a young rookie pay scale player than a backup vet making a lot more money, even at the vet minimums. Atlanta has Lyttle, de Sousza, Angel all commanding max salaries, plus Armintie Herrington (f/k/a Price) and added Le'Coe WIllingham too.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
WNBA attendance is stagnant at best. Over the last decade league attendance has dropped from 9,228 in 2010 to 7,452 last year. That was the lowest ever attendance average since the league started.

The CT Sun has not been exempt from the loss of fans. Last year they were 8th in the league in attendance. Their attendance was less than the league average.

Its tough to pay employees top dollar when there is so little demand for the product.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand how the WNBA CAN'T make a profit.

Their entire payroll per team is LESS than the cost of the average benchwarmer in the NBA.
Their TRAVEL budget is probably larger than their payroll.

Are they being charged NBA rates for court rentals? Don't they get ANYTHING from TV? Don't Bing and Life-Lock ads cover their annual payroll on-their own? God knows, the Players Union isn't extorting them.

Reaction Score
I'm sure she'll have some time left overseas.

Given the small number of slots available.......I mean, how many thought she'd even HAVE a WNBA career.

She had a good run.

This.

Swanier was not cut because of the Dream's financial situation. Teams have to meet the cap floor, which is $869,000 -- only $44,000 off the cap ceiling. I would bet Swanier being cut had more to do with the fact that she shot 31.7% for the Dream and was still very turnover-prone even in her fifth season. It's worth trying someone else, especially someone younger who might develop.

Reaction Score
She had a very nice run. Had she not started out so slowly her freshman year at UConn, she might have been vying for a spot on The Wall; A very nice skill set.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I still don't understand how the WNBA CAN'T make a profit.

Their entire payroll per team is LESS than the cost of the average benchwarmer in the NBA.
Their TRAVEL budget is probably larger than their payroll.

Are they being charged NBA rates for court rentals? Don't they get ANYTHING from TV? Don't Bing and Life-Lock ads cover their annual payroll on-their own? God knows, the Players Union isn't extorting them.

I think TV money is around 1 mil per team. I don't know the actual number, but an educated guess is that the Sun probably pull in another 4-5 mil from ticket sales. I'm sure they have other revenue sources but TV and tickets are probably the largest part of the money pie.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
It amazes me that berube was making about 900.and.Carolyn Jones 120 in the abl back in 97 and the blizzard were in the black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom