Surprised DePaul loses to Nova 76-58 | The Boneyard

Surprised DePaul loses to Nova 76-58

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Was just saying in another thread, Nova is the ASU of the Big East. A perpetual thorn in the side of better teams, and good for an upset win or two per season.

This game in some ways reminded me of the only game UConn lost in 2003 -- when Nova couldn't miss and UConn went cold. Those teams were better than these teams, of course, but similar pattern.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Plebe

Reaction Score
Perhaps this had something to do with it:

Senior Day and Farewell to Harry Perretta Day at Villanova - In his hoops column linked through bluestar Mel Greenberg mentions that this is the last scheduled appearance at Finneran Pavilion for Harry before he retires. The players must have wanted to send him out with a BIG win!

Womhoops Guru

Also details of Nova's Senior day

Women's Basketball To Host DePaul for Senior Day Sunday - Villanova University Athletics
This qualifies as a throw-out-the-record-book circumstance.

Reaction Score
Not surprised. My opinion is that DePaul is consistently over ranked because of their schedule. If DePaul was in a Power 5 conference they would never crack the top 25

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not surprised. My opinion is that DePaul is consistently over ranked because of their schedule. If DePaul was in a Power 5 conference they would never crack the top 25
I don't believe this is true at all. They beat Northwestern in Evanston, and NW is a legit top 15 team.

Reaction Score
Surprised in the loss but especially in how they lost. DePaul is one of the top scoring teams in the nation, and they usually win more by just out-scoring opponents than by defensive battles. This was one of those games where their best weapon just didn't work for them....

Reaction Score
1582542607768.png

Reaction Score

If DePaul was in any P5 conference, could you imagine what Doug Bruno could do with "better" recruits? Bruno consistently cracks the top 25 and he's not even in a P5 conference....that's what you should be asking.

Reaction Score
If DePaul was in any P5 conference, could you imagine what Doug Bruno could do with "better" recruits? Bruno consistently cracks the top 25 and he's not even in a P5 conference....that's what you should be asking.
I am surprised on the Boneyard you aren't calling the Big East part of the Power 6. In men's bball, everyone respects that conference as "equal" to the Football P5' in basketball with Nova championships and many ranked teams. The women's bball needs to hold its own when UCOnn gets there. so I wouldn't dismiss Depaul, Nova, Creighton, Marquette, etc. The more those teams compete at a high level the better off the Big East and UConn are.

Reaction Score
I am surprised on the Boneyard you aren't calling the Big East part of the Power 6. In men's bball, everyone respects that conference as "equal" to the Football P5' in basketball with Nova championships and many ranked teams. The women's bball needs to hold its own when UCOnn gets there. so I wouldn't dismiss Depaul, Nova, Creighton, Marquette, etc. The more those teams compete at a high level the better off the Big East and UConn are.

I have to say, when it comes to WBB, I only hear about the P5 (maybe because they have football and basketball). You are correct I do believe when UConn joins the Big East next year it will help improve the conference. I will add, with UConn in the Big East it's conference RPI will benefit greatly and possibly overtake one of the P5 conferences currently holding the #5 spot in RPI. Time will tell.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I have to say, when it comes to WBB, I only hear about the P5 (maybe because they have football and basketball). You are correct I do believe when UConn joins the Big East next year it will help improve the conference. I will add, with UConn in the Big East it's conference RPI will benefit greatly and possibly overtake one of the P5 conferences currently holding the #5 spot in RPI. Time will tell.
If UConn were in the Big East this season, the Big East would be ahead of the ACC in conference RPI ranking.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
If UConn were in the Big East this season, the Big East would be ahead of the ACC in conference RPI ranking.
The Big East is light years ahead of most of the mid-majors. That's true. The problem for the Big East, however, is that when the oBE split, they really only got DePaul of the better programs.

While Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Creighton, Marquette and Seton Hall all have a history, many from the oBE, the truth was that they competed for the "middle of the pack" while other teams were in the top 5 or 6.

The commitment of some of these schools to WBB remains to be seen with:
- retirement of Harry at Villanova
- while Georgetown did well last year, they really rarely shine and certainly are not this year - do they care?
- St. John's seems consistent - consistently "ok"
- Creighton has had some good moments in its history, but is it a "name" in women's basketball
- Marquette was great, but the coach is gone - how is the future?
- Seton Hall, speaking as a former NJian, has never cared about Women's Basketball, If they did, Phyllis would never have been there so long. And in all the years since, with relatively "flashy" hires, I think they are kind of locked into a "WNIT" level existence. Since I respect the coach, this could be up and coming, but I'm not sure.

Reaction Score

don’t agree at all. Bruno gets players cause DePaul is consistently ranked in top 25 cause they consistently play easy teams. Once UConn gets there the Big East becomes the American Conference all over again and DePaul struggles to ever make the NCAA tournament again.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
don’t agree at all. Bruno gets players cause DePaul is consistently ranked in top 25 cause they consistently play easy teams. Once UConn gets there the Big East becomes the American Conference all over again and DePaul struggles to ever make the NCAA tournament again.
I just don't think that is true at all. 17 straight years of NCAA appearances; including time with UConn in the oBE; won at least 1 game in the tourney in 10 of those years and 4 sweet 16 appearances.

Put another way, DePaul is not a "super" powerhouse and indeed may not have advanced further in the NCAA's because in general the players are not "top tier" and does not face the toughest competition. That is not a sensible reason to downgrade them from what they have achieved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom