Superlatives | The Boneyard

Superlatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been watching Uconn basketball for almost 40 years. I can remember the good times and the bad times. I remember when we had great expectations and were greatly disappointed. I can also remember when we had no expectations and were wonderfully surprised. For what it’s worth here are some of my best and worst memories:

· Best Team Ever – 1999 - They were completely focused for the entire season. They imposed their will on everyone. They beat perhaps Duke’s best team ever in a pulsating final.
Runners up: 1965 – Only regular season losses were when Toby Kimball was injured.
1994 – If Donyell hits just one free throw?????

· Most Talented Team Ever – 2006 – Rudy Gay, Josh Boone, Hilton Armstrong, Rashad Anderson, Denham Brown, Marcus Williams, Jeff Adrien. Just prior to the sweet 16, every single basketball commentator was picking Uconn. George Mason?????
Runner up – 1994 Donyell and Donnie Marshall, Ray Allen, Kevin Ollie, Doron Sheffer, Travis Knight

· Most Surprising Team Ever – 2011 – We were very young. It was not one of Uconn’s best recruiting classes and we lost a lot of scoring from the prior year yet we Kemba’d the world.
Runners up 1990 – Expectations were not high. We had to go to Israel to find a forward but this team was the one that will be remembered as a great defensive team. We were one shot away from a final four.
1964 – Fred Shabel’s first year. No one expected much but they qualified for the NCAA tournament and won their first two games over favored opponents. Duke kept them out of the final four with a convincing win.

· Most Disappointing Team Ever – 2012 – Returning starters from a NC team and an excellent recruiting class. Hard to believe that many of the same players were on the most surprising team and the most disappointing team. Yes, I know that the season is not over technically but but my hopes have been dashed more times than I care to remember.
Runner up – 2006 – See comments above. We were loaded but fell short.

Reaction Score
I would argue the most talented team ever was the 2004 team.
Oak, Ben, Taliek, Rashard, Boone with Denham and CV off the bench. If really needed, Hilton and Nelson. That's a pretty stacked roster.

Reaction Score
I would argue the most talented team ever was the 2004 team.
Oak, Ben, Taliek, Rashard, Boone with Denham and CV off the bench. If really needed, Hilton and Nelson. That's a pretty stacked roster.
Easily. Okafor and Gordon were both far better than anyone on 06.

Reaction Score
not sure how it can be argued that 06 was more talented than 04. Everybody except Rudy was on that team(if you want to say Marcus as well due to the suspension, you could) and Emeka and Ben were the 2nd and 3rd picks in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom